CX-70 debut information, pictures, discussion

I don't think Mazda honestly knows - this feels more and more like a swing for the fences because it's so out of touch. Their whole strategy is overly complex (8 trim levels in CX90, not counting PHEV) and a 2nd, nearly identical model with very similar pricing that still misses the boat because they've duplicated the 90's cell phone contract style options levels.

Simplicity sells, kids. Both vehicles should have been 1 model with 4 trim levels, 1 engine option (not including PHEV), 3 seat configurations (Captain's with 3rd row, bench with 3rd row or bench without 3rd row). That alone would streamline their production lines.

Bring over CX60 as the luxury option to the CX50.
I think it was a bunt. They couldn't pull off 4 different vehicles in the time allotted and laid down a sacrifice bunt with the CX-70. But does any other manufactuer make duplicate models? I get tailoring things to a specific market, but the U.S. is a gigantic market that they keep screwing up.

Yes, way too may models. Let people option equipment if you must to simplify.

Yes, bring CX-60 to US !!!
I will take one with Turbo S.
I'm struggling to see what the CX-60 brings over a top level CX-5 aside from extra weight and bulk. Unless you're a semi-luxury shopper who doesn't care as much about the extra cost. Then again, if that's your buyer, they are probably shopping other brands like BMW, Audi, Porsche, etc.

Now that basic information and pricing are out - it seems that Mazda wants to push as many people to the CX90 as possible - which makes the earlier comment about CX70 sales being 30% of CX90 sales seem very plausible.

Only one exterior color, Jet Black Mica, is free of additional cost. 4 of the 8 colors on the CX90 don't have an upcharge. They should have offered the blue that's on the CX90 - it's a nice color and would both sell and age better than the copper because that is going to age like milk.

There are a lot of features on the Turbo S Premium Plus (on both CX70 & 90) that are desirable but that interior color kills it for me - it looks like it came out of a 1980s Lincoln.

I didn't find much of a price delta ($54,275 for the CX70 3.3 Turbo S Premium vs. $56,414 for the CX90 3.3 Turbo S Premium) but the CX70 doesn't have all of the fake chrome and that's a plus to me.

The more I learn about it - the less desirable it is and that kind of sucks because I was looking forward to getting back into a Mazda.

I'm going to test-drive the competition in the coming weeks because it's becoming apparent this is going to be a miss between the size, the interior colors vs. options and cost.
I agree with you and I think this was the intention. I was waiting for the CX70 and I was willing to bite the bullet on the length, however the top trim comes with ugly wheels and it doesn't come in Artisan Red. Plus I am not sold on plastic cladding on front fascia vs the more elegant look on the CX90. End results, will probably do a 3yr lease on a CX90 hopefully in this time, they will come with something more reasonable in the lineup.
Yes, bring CX-60 to US !!!
I will take one with Turbo S.
Add me to this.
I'm struggling to see what the CX-60 brings over a top level CX-5 aside from extra weight and bulk. Unless you're a semi-luxury shopper who doesn't care as much about the extra cost. Then again, if that's your buyer, they are probably shopping other brands like BMW, Audi, Porsche, etc.
Huh ? Did you sat inside the top trim CX90 ? CX5 is a nice car but it is really dated, not to mention RWD architecture vs FWD, more powerful and smooth I6 engine vs the four popper, double wishbone suspension, turning radius better than the CX5. Do you want me to continue ?

The inline 6 turbo, mainly. But the overall vehicle is aging and should be replaced with the CX60. I don't care what they do with the CX50, it's got a weird interior and not enough headroom in the back seats.

I drove the CX5 - it's closer to the size I want but underpowered. I'm currently driving a CX70/90 sized SUV with a 400hp twin turbo. The CX5 doesn't compare.

The inline 6 turbo, mainly. But the overall vehicle is aging and should be replaced with the CX60. I don't care what they do with the CX50, it's got a weird interior and not enough headroom in the back seats.

I drove the CX5 - it's closer to the size I want but underpowered. I'm currently driving a CX70/90 sized SUV with a 400hp twin turbo. The CX5 doesn't compare.
I'm sure it's a nice motor but that's not nearly enough to justify the rest of the car. I mean a few mods to the 2.5T can close the gap and you'll keep the better driving/handling vehicle.

I'm sure it's a nice motor but that's not nearly enough to justify the rest of the car. I mean a few mods to the 2.5T can close the gap and you'll keep the better driving/handling vehicle.
I've owned several turbo vehicles - the DI4 turbo in my Speed3 revved high to generate power. You could mod them but they were prone to throwing rods through the block. That's not what I'm after. I got far more power and a smoother engine from the inline 6 with a turbo.

The CX5 interior is nice but dated. Maybe it can be made to provide more power but it won't make it quieter.

A modded CX5 won't touch a 340hp inline 6 turbo.

Puts existing dealer stock in a bit of a pickle for the CX90s. One dealer near me has a $4k gap between the same vehicle ordering new and the one that's been on the lot for 60+ days.
I would expect Mazda to help resolve that issue. The bigger problem is that Mazda US will have a communications nightmare once existing CX-90 customers find out their vehicle just dropped in price and will likely continue at this price for the 2025 model year. I have never seen this outside of EVs. I wonder who thought this would be a good idea.

This explains why the CX-90 was so much cheaper in Canada. The CX90 pricing in Canada didn't drop with the introduction of the CX-70.

Here is the press release of the initial CX-90 pricing in the US.

And here is the same old press release from Mazda's US site that was just updated to reflect the new pricing.

A 2.5L 4 cylinder turbo is not even in the same ballpark with a 3.3L inline 6 turbo. [The Twin Turbo 3.0L BMW S58B30T0 produces 503HP and 479ftlb of torque] That 3.3L inline 6 could easily produce 400hp without much effort. But the other trick is rear wheel drive which then distributes the weight better along the axis of the car instead of having most of it sitting on the front axle. That is the problem with most of these vehicles and why they push through corners. They have all that weight sitting on the front axle.

I've owned several turbo vehicles - the DI4 turbo in my Speed3 revved high to generate power. You could mod them but they were prone to throwing rods through the block. That's not what I'm after. I got far more power and a smoother engine from the inline 6 with a turbo.
The 2.5T is not a high revving motor. Have you driven one? It uses a small turbo and larger displacement cylinders than many other 4 cylinder motors. It makes a ton of torque at low to mid revs and falls flat after 5K RPM.

A modded CX5 won't touch a 340hp inline 6 turbo.
In a CX-60? A quick search shows the 0-60 times and top speed are the same. The increase in power is offset by the increase in weight. Except you will never offset the weight in the turns.

A 2.5L 4 cylinder turbo is not even in the same ballpark with a 3.3L inline 6 turbo.
Again, not in disagreement that the larger motor is better.
But the other trick is rear wheel drive which then distributes the weight better along the axis of the car instead of having most of it sitting on the front axle. That is the problem with most of these vehicles and why they push through corners. They have all that weight sitting on the front axle.
The AWD Turbo CX-5 is 50/50 for weight distribution, so that is not the issue.

The suspension setup however was softened up for the masses after the 1st generation. They prioritized understeer for safety rather than letting the car do what it's capable of. A few tweaks can fix that, but it would be nice if it weren't necessary.

The RWD bias of the CX-60 would probably make a difference.

Last edited:
In an even stranger move. Mazda dropped the price of the CX-90 in the US to be closer to the CX-70:

Looks like a textbook lesson in how not to market cars!

1) Make the car much cheaper in a neighboring country that you share a border with.
2) Admit your mistake by lowering the price of the larger car the following year (at nearly the same price as the "midsize" you are introducing) making it nearly impossible to sell the new car!
3) Alienate the fanbase w/#2 and put the possibility out there that they may do it again in the future now that a non-EV car has joined the discounting fun!

Mazda should really fire their forecasters...

Looks like a textbook lesson in how not to market cars!

1) Make the car much cheaper in a neighboring country that you share a border with.
2) Admit your mistake by lowering the price of the larger car the following year (at nearly the same price as the "midsize" you are introducing) making it nearly impossible to sell the new car!
3) Alienate the fanbase w/#2 and put the possibility out there that they may do it again in the future now that a non-EV car has joined the discounting fun!

Mazda should really fire their forecasters...
Mazda US really screwed up with this approach. The CX-70 is $1k cheaper than than the CX-90 in the Canada. I guess the US can expect a $1k price drop on the CX-70 next year.

Last edited:
Hey Mazda, Honda made a 2-Row Midsize BEV SUV and it's 192" long! Might want to look into this before you drop your next minivan sized 2-Row SUV. I'm thinking they are on to something here! :rolleyes:

https://www.inverse.com/tech/honda-prologue-electric-suv-ev-release-price
I wouldn't use the Prologue as an example of how to do midsize. If the related LYRIQ, Chevy Blazer EV, and upcoming Acura ZDX are any indication, it's only midsize from an exterior point of view and the interiors are competing w/the compact class! As a matter of fact, the trunks range from 25.5 to 28 ft3, which is smaller than the Toyota Venza's 28.8 ft3, believe it or not!

I wouldn't use the Prologue as an example of how to do midsize. If the related LYRIQ, Chevy Blazer EV, and upcoming Acura ZDX are any indication, it's only midsize from an exterior point of view and the interiors are competing w/the compact class! As a matter of fact, the trunks range from 25.5 to 28 ft3, which is smaller than the Toyota Venza's 28.8 ft3, believe it or not!
I'm not vouching for the quality or functionality of the thing, only that they produced a 192" 2-Row instead of a minivan. At this point because of the state of the technology, state of the infrastructure and my use cases, a BEV does not work for me.

Looked at the build it feature on the Cdn website, I will say there are small visual differences between the CX70 and 90. Seems (if the renderings are accurate) less chrome on the 70 Signature ICE models. And also lower corners of the bumpers have more black inserts. Overall I actually think these 2 differences do make the 70 the better looking vehicle, if one splits hairs.

That and no captains chairs just might be enough for me if I were picking between the two, surprised myself to see I have a preference.

Back