Mazda is advertising CX-5 models without Cylinder Deactivation and i-stop

Went into the Mazda USA homepage and saw this. It wont say which particular trim is offered without CD and i-stop, but my guess is that Mazda is sending few batches of CX5's without CD and i-stop, to the dealers across the country.

1704808552388.png

1704808611883.png

I just got my 24 preferred. It does not have i stop, which I'm happy about.
As far as I know it does not have cylinder deactivation but I don't know for sure. How would I tell?

In Canada. Mazda's website says the lowest two trims (GX and GS) have neither.

In Canada. Mazda's website says the lowest two trims (GX and GS) have neither.
I noticed that too, although the Kuro and GT trims have both. However, all non-turbo trims of Mazda3 (sedan and hatch), CX-30 and CX-50 all still have CD, but not i-stop.

Seems there's a note pertaining to this. It is due to a shortage of something so late 23 until the shortage is resolved certain S models will not have i stop or cyl deactivation.
mazda note 2.jpg

As far as I know it does not have cylinder deactivation but I don't know for sure. How would I tell?
While driving, go into the "Information" option of your infotainment system. Then fuel efficiency--->energy flow monitor. You will see a picture of a car with cylinders firing. Light foot the gas pedal and maintain a constant speed. If two of the lights from the cylinders turn off, then you have CD.

While driving, go into the "Information" option of your infotainment system. Then fuel efficiency--->energy flow monitor. You will see a picture of a car with cylinders firing. Light foot the gas pedal and maintain a constant speed. If two of the lights from the cylinders turn off, then you have CD.
OK. I'll give that a try next time i'm out and about.
Rain, T storms, tornados right now where I'm at.

It would be interesting to see if the units without CD and istop really get 10% worse economy as claimed (23/29 vs 26/31) in the real world.

Mine doesn't have that. The info page has fuel efficiency and scheduled maintenance due/reset.
20240109_122530.jpg
20240109_122455.jpg
20240109_122538.jpg

I wonder if the engine without CD is a different engine, or a regular CD engine with the CD deactivated?
I am pretty sure it will be same one as that of CD, except for that it will not have the solenoids required to activate and deactivate CD. However, its not guaranteed that it will not suffer from cylinder head cracking issue.

It would be interesting to see if the units without CD and istop really get 10% worse economy as claimed (23/29 vs 26/31) in the real world.

“Real world” of course depends on the owner. If the owner spends most of his mileage on freeway driving the CD will help but the iStop won’t make any difference. If the owner has a lot of town driving with stoplights the CD will do nothing but the iStop will. The EPA driving cycle is just an estimate.

I just want to make sure people realize that the fuel you save (if any) from those tricks/features (iStop, CD, iEloop, etc.) might not pay for the troubles/$$$ you have to pay later.

For iEloop (which I have on my '16 Mazda6 GT), there is the expensive battery (AGM, $400-500 to replace and program) and the supercap (~$500 part, expensive if it fails at some point). For saving of 1-2mpg (more like 1 if you ask me).. the numbers do not add up for the way I drive.

For my next Mazda, I will avoid those features.

I have iStop on my CX-50 turbo. I doubt it even makes 1% difference. I permanently disabled mine with an aftermarket module (turns it off every time the car is started) to reduce the wear and tear on the starter & engine. By the way, iStop also requires a much more expensive battery to provide power over repeated engine restarts.

I just bought a '24 preferred as well in early March. The VIN number is the way to tell. An M in the 8th digit position means it has CDA and an L means it does not. If you don't have I-stop you don't have CDA... Also, the fuel monitor screen will show a front end of a CX-5 with the 4 cylinders going on and off as the CDA engages. Mine does not have that screen.
I think Mazda owes us some $$. :) We paid for something we didn't receive as standard equipment in to 2024s!

I just bought a '24 preferred as well in early March. The VIN number is the way to tell. An M in the 8th digit position means it has CDA and an L means it does not. If you don't have I-stop you don't have CDA... Also, the fuel monitor screen will show a front end of a CX-5 with the 4 cylinders going on and off as the CDA engages. Mine does not have that screen.
I think Mazda owes us some $$. :) We paid for something we didn't receive as standard equipment in to 2024s!
Some of us would pay to not have CDA.

Latest posts

Back