2016 CX-5 Paint on hood not shiny

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport
I live in sunny south Florida. My '16 CX-5 Sport is a sonic silver color. The hood just doesn't have the shine anymore. I got the vehicle detailed a few months ago and the guy used a claybar and then waxed. But the hood just doesn't have the shine. This was even before the detail. I thought the detail would restore the shine. The guy told me it's the clear coat on the hood.

Is there anyway to get the shine back on the hood?

The paint on most cars is very thin but a body shop could tell you if it could be polished out or if it needs a new clear coat. Sun here in Florida is rough on cars with certain colors like silver and red. Your choice if it's worth it for a new clear coat.

When you say he waxed the hood, did he polish first and then wax? Maybe he used an All-in-One product that polishes and provides shine and protection. But the cutting power of these is not that intense.

Dull paint usually indicates that the clear coat has some degradation from the sun and elements or microscratches from normal driving. The usually remedy for that is removing the top layer of the CC leaving a smooth and even surface. Unless you’ve been using heavy polish or compounds regularly, you probably have enough clear coat for a proper polishing.

I got the vehicle detailed a few months ago and the guy used a claybar and then waxed. But the hood just doesn't have the shine ... I thought the detail would restore the shine.

Typical method for me: wash x2, clay bar (slow and diligent), wash, followed by a full polishing, wash, then (and only then) seal in those good looks with a "wax."

Fact is, a "claybar and then wax" doesn't correct anything. It simply applies sealant to a very clean surface. Doesn't address oxidation or sun damage. Doesn't address hazing, scratches, swirls. Which polishing can, assuming there's sufficient clear coat to support polishing-out of such defects.

Ditto, on the above suggestions to attempt a "proper" polishing of the paint. It'd be the first thing I'd attempt. No certainty, without trying, but it's worth a shot.

Myself, I have a Porter-Cable 7424 random/orbital polishing machine, Lake Country pads, and Menzerna chemicals. Does a great job at elimination of the most-common minor defects on the clear coat.

Here is a decent list of starting products. Plus, you'll need a good number of decent microfiber cloths.

Pinnacle clay bar, 200g (enough for 3-4 cars, folding the dirty side inward to protect the paint as you go):

Lubricant for clay bar (keeps application of clay slick, to grab maximum amount of dirt):

Porter-Cable 7424XP polishing machine, 4.5A:

Porter-Cable 6" backing plate:

Porter-Cable flat wrench for 7424 machine:

Lake Country CSS "flat" pads, 6", qty=12ct (yel=3, org=3, grn=3, blk=3):

Menzerna 1000 compound, qty = 1-2:

Menzerna 2500 polisher, qty = 1-2:

Menzerna 3800 final finish polish, qty = 1:

BlackFire sealant, 32oz, qty = 1-2 (will want to clean car then re-seal every 2-3 months to keep the protection high):

Microfiber cloths, 12ct -- the "Cobra" brand @ AutoGeek are pretty good and very long-lasting, useful for wiping off dried/hazed polishes:

A couple of big drying towels, to mop up water after washing, qty = 2-3:

An moderately expensive list but, other than eventual replacement of the pads and chemicals after several polishings, it's a one-time purchase. A purchase that's a fraction of the cost of any repaint. Gets you "intimate" with your paint's finish, and avoids handing off to a "basic detailing" shop that won't do anywhere near the job you would accomplish.

Last edited:
When you say he waxed the hood, did he polish first and then wax? Maybe he used an All-in-One product that polishes and provides shine and protection. But the cutting power of these is not that intense.

Dull paint usually indicates that the clear coat has some degradation from the sun and elements or microscratches from normal driving. The usually remedy for that is removing the top layer of the CC leaving a smooth and even surface. Unless you’ve been using heavy polish or compounds regularly, you probably have enough clear coat for a proper polishing.
He washed the car. Then used a clay bar. Then used his wax, which I am not sure what brand it was. Maybe he needed to use a rubbing compound? In the past I have taken the car for washes and then have it waxed. Haven't tried rubbing compounds.

He washed the car. Then used a clay bar. Then used his wax, which I am not sure what brand it was. Maybe he needed to use a rubbing compound? In the past I have taken the car for washes and then have it waxed. Haven't tried rubbing compounds.

Well, yeah, that's just it. A "wax" is merely sealing in the paint's quality and shine at that point, along with any oxidation, any hazing, swirls, scratches and everything else. Which cleaning and clay bar simply doesn't correct.

So, yes, POLISHING is what can address those things. Again, assuming your paint's in decent-enough condition and thickness that simple polishing will correct it. If bad enough, it eventually can only be corrected via a repaint. So it's certainly worthwhile to attempt proper polishing, to see if such defects can be removed from what paint does exist.

Bottom line: a "wax" or other sealant merely seals-in the defects on the paint. It cannot remove them. Removal of such defects requires actual removal steps. AKA polishing (or, repaint, if necessary).

Some tips and a summary of the questions, from Menzerna: Paint polishing FAQ.

Last edited:
The detailer could have used a two-in-one polish/sealant that does some minor paint correction and leaves a protectant for the paint but, if he did, it obviously wasn’t enough to put the shine back in your paint. I’d try a mild polish first to see if that makes a difference. If it doesn’t, try something with more cut. Of course, experiment on a small area first. I haven’t used the products mentioned above, but Menzerna is a well established name.

Do you have any pictures? Something that shows the shine on a door panel or a fender vs your hood?

How's your roof? Does it have the same dullness to it?

If you're not the original owner, it's possible that one of the previous owners may have had the hood repaired at some point. Much of the time, non-factory paint jobs are not nearly as durable as the factory paint, meaning that the clearcoat may not be as thick on the hood, which would eventually lead to it appearing more dull before the other panels.

Do you have any pictures? Something that shows the shine on a door panel or a fender vs your hood?

How's your roof? Does it have the same dullness to it?

If you're not the original owner, it's possible that one of the previous owners may have had the hood repaired at some point. Much of the time, non-factory paint jobs are not nearly as durable as the factory paint, meaning that the clearcoat may not be as thick on the hood, which would eventually lead to it appearing more dull before the other panels.
I don't have pictures. Will take them later this week and try to upload them. The shine on the door panels is much better. The roof also looks to be dull now looking from the front. I need to get a better view though.

I am the second owner of the car. I can't see any signs that the hood was painted.

I don't have pictures. Will take them later this week and try to upload them. The shine on the door panels is much better. The roof also looks to be dull now looking from the front. I need to get a better view though. basket random

I am the second owner of the car. I can't see any signs that the hood was painted.
So how did you polish the car? I am also looking to refurbish my car.

So how did you polish the car? I am also looking to refurbish my car.
At that time I had taken it to some auto detailer. I believe he used a clay bar and then some wax. But he was mentioning to me that the clear coat on hood was fading. In order to restore the hood shine I believe he claimed that he would have to do some sanding process and re-apply clear coat which I was not very confident of him doing that. I probably have to take it to some paint and body shop as ask if there is a way to restore the shine without sanding the hood and re-applying clear coat, etc.

At that time I had taken it to some auto detailer. I believe he used a clay bar and then some wax. But he was mentioning to me that the clear coat on hood was fading. In order to restore the hood shine I believe he claimed that he would have to do some sanding process and re-apply clear coat which I was not very confident of him doing that. I probably have to take it to some paint and body shop as ask if there is a way to restore the shine without sanding the hood and re-applying clear coat, etc.

Sure. The method described earlier. Might not need a repainting at all. But the only way to verify this is for a proper polishing of the paint surface.

An effective polishing can be done DIY by a dual-action polishing machine, with appropriate pads and chemicals. A shop will almost certainly use a rotary with more-aggressive pads and chemicals, which can be quicker but runs the risk of "burning" the paint if not done by a quite-competent person. It's hard to foul up using a DA polisher with your own pads and chemicals.

Before acquiring all that stuff, it might be worth purchasing a small bottle of a moderately-aggressive polishing chemical and a handful of those foam applicator pads. You can do a small section by hand. (After a decent wash and clay bar, of course.) Scrub, scrub, scrub. See how much of the hazing, oxidation, minor scratches and swirls you can remove. That's basically what you'd find if you went with the machine+pads+chemicals and did the whole car. There are pads and chemicals that get quite aggressive, and ones that are so mild that they just add gloss.

The sequence of polishing is, basically, to use the least-aggressive polishing pad+chemical in order to get the worst of the swirls, scratches and hazing removed. It'll almost certainly add countless less-obvious minor scratches, but most of the major defects should disappear. (Assuming you've got sufficient depth of clear coat to remove, and assuming you've used a sufficiently-aggressive pad+chemical choice.)

Do a few sequences of a less-aggressive pad+chemical, then a less-aggressive one still, until you eventually polish out all minor defects and are left with a truly great-looking paint surface. At which point, you might do a final "finishing" polish. At THAT point, it's as good-looking as it'll ever get. Then, and only then, you can seal in those good looks with a "wax" (polymer, ceramic, carnauba wax, whatever).

Quite likely, that'll work and will be about your only option for avoiding a repaint to remove such defects.

MANY car paints need polishing in order to rectify relatively minor, early hazing, oxidation and fading of the surface portions of the clear coat. If caught early, and if you then keep up with protection of that paint (via effective and frequent layers of sealant), you won't be re-polishing anytime soon since that protective layer will take the brunt of the damage of living life in the outdoors (as paint does).

Won't know until that's tried as to whether it'll be sufficient. But, even if you purchase a dual-action polisher, pads, chemicals and then spend a couple of days doing the polishing sufficiently well, it won't amount to anywhere near the cost of repainting. It's absolutely a worthy first-shot.

If interested in doing it yourself, possibly consider giving the customer service desk at AutoGeek a call. They've got lots of products that can help, including polisher options, various pads, various chemicals, and tips. They can get you headed in the right direction, if considering a DIY attempt.

Or, look for a Meguiar's shop near you, if you have one. They can also make suggestions that'll help you understand how to accomplish a DIY polishing. It's easily done. Just requires a few products, some patience, and a couple days. It's astonishing how different a "hazed & ozidized" paint surface can end up, once effectively polished.

An example: polishing a gloss-black 1984 Ford Mustang that had lived a hard life and had never had a polishing and almost never had a "wax." Took about 8hrs to correct, and that was quick-and-dirty. But the result was night and day, if not perfect. Made all the difference on resale of that car a couple of months later.

Attachments

• 1984 Ford Mustang - BEFORE polishing hazy and faded door panel.jpg
    1984 Ford Mustang - BEFORE polishing hazy and faded door panel.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 1984 Ford Mustang - AFTER polishing hazy and faded door panel.jpg
    1984 Ford Mustang - AFTER polishing hazy and faded door panel.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 57
  • MustangHood-BEFORE.jpg
    MustangHood-BEFORE.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 42
  • MustangHood-AFTER.jpg
    MustangHood-AFTER.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
... An effective polishing can be done DIY by a dual-action polishing machine ...
I appreciate you taking the time to write these helpful tips. Body / paint work is something I've never spent much time with. You seem knowledgeable and speak from experience.

'preciate-chya 👍

Sure. The method described earlier. Might not need a repainting at all. But the only way to verify this is for a proper polishing of the paint surface.

An effective polishing can be done DIY by a dual-action polishing machine, with appropriate pads and chemicals. A shop will almost certainly use a rotary with more-aggressive pads and chemicals, which can be quicker but runs the risk of "burning" the paint if not done by a quite-competent person. It's hard to foul up using a DA polisher with your own pads and chemicals.

Before acquiring all that stuff, it might be worth purchasing a small bottle of a moderately-aggressive polishing chemical and a handful of those foam applicator pads. You can do a small section by hand. (After a decent wash and clay bar, of course.) Scrub, scrub, scrub. See how much of the hazing, oxidation, minor scratches and swirls you can remove. That's basically what you'd find if you went with the machine+pads+chemicals and did the whole car. There are pads and chemicals that get quite aggressive, and ones that are so mild that they just add gloss.

The sequence of polishing is, basically, to use the least-aggressive polishing pad+chemical in order to get the worst of the swirls, scratches and hazing removed. It'll almost certainly add countless less-obvious minor scratches, but most of the major defects should disappear. (Assuming you've got sufficient depth of clear coat to remove, and assuming you've used a sufficiently-aggressive pad+chemical choice.)

Do a few sequences of a less-aggressive pad+chemical, then a less-aggressive one still, until you eventually polish out all minor defects and are left with a truly great-looking paint surface. At which point, you might do a final "finishing" polish. At THAT point, it's as good-looking as it'll ever get. Then, and only then, you can seal in those good looks with a "wax" (polymer, ceramic, carnauba wax, whatever).

Quite likely, that'll work and will be about your only option for avoiding a repaint to remove such defects.

MANY car paints need polishing in order to rectify relatively minor, early hazing, oxidation and fading of the surface portions of the clear coat. If caught early, and if you then keep up with protection of that paint (via effective and frequent layers of sealant), you won't be re-polishing anytime soon since that protective layer will take the brunt of the damage of living life in the outdoors (as paint does).

Won't know until that's tried as to whether it'll be sufficient. But, even if you purchase a dual-action polisher, pads, chemicals and then spend a couple of days doing the polishing sufficiently well, it won't amount to anywhere near the cost of repainting. It's absolutely a worthy first-shot.

If interested in doing it yourself, possibly consider giving the customer service desk at AutoGeek a call. They've got lots of products that can help, including polisher options, various pads, various chemicals, and tips. They can get you headed in the right direction, if considering a DIY attempt.

Or, look for a Meguiar's shop near you, if you have one. They can also make suggestions that'll help you understand how to accomplish a DIY polishing. It's easily done. Just requires a few products, some patience, and a couple days. It's astonishing how different a "hazed & ozidized" paint surface can end up, once effectively polished.

An example: polishing a gloss-black 1984 Ford Mustang that had lived a hard life and had never had a polishing and almost never had a "wax." Took about 8hrs to correct, and that was quick-and-dirty. But the result was night and day, if not perfect. Made all the difference on resale of that car a couple of months later.
Thanks for the advice.

I second Frosty’s advice. I finally got around to my 2016 CPO I got in 2018 and gave it the full paint polish treatment myself. Being black paint and seeing every swirl mark from the first owner drove me bonkers for years. A legit paint correction here in CT for a single stage polish is anywhere from $300-$800 depending on where you go. Buying the equipment yourself gets your money back after one use, and when you have a family of cars you’re in the clear forever. It pains me to the bone when people reference a “detail” and what they got was a wash and wax at the local car wash, just not worth it.

It’s almost impossible to burn paint with a DA polisher these days so don’t be put off by old horror stories of rotaries. As mentioned, grab a bottle of Meguiars polish or compound and use a microfiber towel to see if you can rub out some haze and small swirl marks. You should see results pretty quickly. Good luck!

@txt990 --

Wondering whether you've tried hand polishing a small area of the hood, yet.

If not ...

For about ~$25, you ought to be able to pick up a bottle of mild compound and a few foam applicator pads, at any AutoZone or similar shop.

Such as:

1. Meguiar's Ultimate Compound #G17216, 15oz -- This product has fairly mild cutting action, so far as "compounds" and "polishes" go. A good first step, if wanting to go the least-aggressive amount of polishing possible. You might find it's sufficiently aggressive for the given degree of hazing and oxidation you're finding on your hood (and elsewhere). Trying out on a section of hood that's 1 sq ft or less. You ought to see immediate improvement after you've gone over it a couple of times with this polish.

2. Applicator pads -- Sufficient for applying most polishing chemicals by hand. Can also use a fine microfiber cloth, if preferred. Whichever you use, be sure to flip or change out frequently as you polish the area. These pads are cotton terry material, some come in foam (like the Meguiar's applicator pads).

And if that works, then for a few hours' of effort of hand polishing, you'll avoid further "detailing shop" costs. Of course, once done polishing, you'd need to completely clean the hood area and then apply your preferred "wax" sealant product.

@txt990 --

Wondering whether you've tried hand polishing a small area of the hood, yet.

If not ...

For about ~$25, you ought to be able to pick up a bottle of mild compound and a few foam applicator pads, at any AutoZone or similar shop.

Such as:

1. Meguiar's Ultimate Compound #G17216, 15oz -- This product has fairly mild cutting action, so far as "compounds" and "polishes" go. A good first step, if wanting to go the least-aggressive amount of polishing possible. You might find it's sufficiently aggressive for the given degree of hazing and oxidation you're finding on your hood (and elsewhere). Trying out on a section of hood that's 1 sq ft or less. You ought to see immediate improvement after you've gone over it a couple of times with this polish.

2. Applicator pads -- Sufficient for applying most polishing chemicals by hand. Can also use a fine microfiber cloth, if preferred. Whichever you use, be sure to flip or change out frequently as you polish the area. These pads are cotton terry material, some come in foam (like the Meguiar's applicator pads).

And if that works, then for a few hours' of effort of hand polishing, you'll avoid further "detailing shop" costs. Of course, once done polishing, you'd need to completely clean the hood area and then apply your preferred "wax" sealant product.

I haven't tried it yet. But I will surely try this, but on a small portion of the hood first and see if I can restore the shine. Then wax that area.

After washing the car, do I need to use a clay bar? Then use the compound?

Last edited:
I haven't tried it yet. But I will surely try this, but on a small portion of the hood first and see if I can restore the shine. Then wax that area.

After washing the car, do I need to use a clay bar? Then use the compound?

Yes, you really should. Even if it's just been a few weeks, likely some crud has gotten embedded onto the surface that a claying will help remove. Otherwise, with a polish you're just grinding such stuff into the paint, creating more swirls and minor scratches. Far better to do a wash, clay, wash again, then doing a polishing. Easy enough, if only opting to do a 1 square foot patch of the hood, to see how much improvement you're likely to get. The whole effort shouldn't take an hour, altogether.

The Meguiar's Ultimate Compound product I mentioned earlier is fairly aggressive but its abrasives break down fast, so that most of the polishing is effectively polishing-out what minor scratches did get placed there by that polish. (A normal sequence of polishing is: harsher compound, followed by a less-harsh one, etc, until you end with a finishing polish, glaze, then sealant.) But for this 1sqft test it's fine to just use a decent moderate polish to see how much of that haze and oxidation can be removed. Might try an even milder one, if preferred, but this one ought to do well for a test.

@txt990 , here are a few linked summaries to consider, for clay bar, polishing, and sealants.

Clay + Lubricant, once or twice annually:

Compounds and Polishes:

Sealants:

@txt990 , here are a few linked summaries to consider, for clay bar, polishing, and sealants.

Clay + Lubricant, once or twice annually:

Compounds and Polishes:

Sealants:

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back