Can you open trunk from inside?

KLOVER

:
Mazda CX-5 GT
I have a 2016 CX-5 GT. It seems that the only way to open the trunk, is by opening the trunk by the handle. Is there no way to open the trunk from inside? My key fob only has lock, unlock, and panic buttons. I read online someone mentioned a button by the hood release but I don't see anything there.

I don't think you can open it from inside.

I also wondered about it at first but then I realized the reason you want to open the trunk is because you or someone else wants to load/unload cargo. This implies that person has to be near the trunk anyway even if you open it from inside.

Mazda would've thought then let that person only open the trunk coz he/she is near it anyway.

There could also be a safety aspect to it.

This is purely my thought on it. Need not be the real reason behind not having a release on the inside.

Not to be rude, but if you'll look at page 3-20 in your owners manual (you did read the manual, right?) you'll find that the only way to open the liftgate is using the opener on the liftgate. No reference is made to any other way to open it. The manual is a great book. Everyone should read theirs. :)

Yes, I did read the manual, thank you. I was searching online and as I stated in my original post, someone had stated that they had a trunk release by their hood release. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I do find it strange that they do not have a power liftgate as most other vehicles in their class do.

I do find it strange that they do not have a power liftgate as most other vehicles in their class do.

My salesman told me he asked the district rep. from Mazda about the lack of a power liftgate. He was told Mazda didn't offer one because they didn't want the added weight of the power mechanism.

My salesman told me he asked the district rep. from Mazda about the lack of a power liftgate. He was told Mazda didn't offer one because they didn't want the added weight of the power mechanism.

I can see that. Power lift gates do add more pounds.

The other issue is that eventually power liftgates breakdown, not if, but when.

They are convenient when carrying something but pressing a button and using a little muscle to lift the gate is not that big of a deal.

I think they don't want to compete with the CX9.. it seems to have the options many of us would like to see on our's

Thanks for the info! It does make sense. Not a big deal to me. I have a lot of people always asking to check out my car and that seems to always be the #1 complaint they have. At least now I have an answer ;)

Thanks for the info! It does make sense. Not a big deal to me. I have a lot of people always asking to check out my car and that seems to always be the #1 complaint they have. At least now I have an answer ;)

Forgive me for being blunt but why would you need to be able to open the rear from inside when you can get to a passenger door just as easily? The safety aspect is null since you aren't enclosed in the rear like you would be with a trunk.

Forgive me for being blunt but why would you need to be able to open the rear from inside when you can get to a passenger door just as easily? The safety aspect is null since you aren't enclosed in the rear like you would be with a trunk.

i think they mean to open it with a button from the front. ;)

i think they mean to open it with a button from the front. ;)
I know this is an old post but I was searching for the same , in regards to opening from inside. I was looking because I just read a boy saved his life from a burning SUV by exiting the back.. Also .I car camp and sleep in my CX-5. A rear exit would be useful. #think outside the box

I know the accident you are talking about. I wondered how the nine year old got out. The vehicle was a Nisson Rogue. Does it open from inside or did it pop open from from the force of the impact. Pretty sad story.

Last edited:
lfg.PNG

Back