Rattling clunking popping noise

ctbale

Contributor
:
2022 CX9 Tourin
So this may have been discussed on this forum before but I finally took a close look at this tsb related to the rattling clunking popping noise. It appears that it's the cowl bolts. Which basically looks to me like strut tower cross brace bolts, but they are calling them cowl bolts. Strut tower cross braces typically increase torsional rigidity. Kinda important. Most information I'm finding on forums and Facebook is it's just two bolts on each side, total of four bolts. But if you look at the TSB its actually a total of 12 bolts that need to be tightened. The reason the other eight bolts are not discovered is because it's under a plastic cover. I'm going to look at mine this week and check the torque

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230306-162734_Xodo Docs.jpg
    Screenshot_20230306-162734_Xodo Docs.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 192
  • MC-10202693-0001.pdf
    205.8 KB · Views: 239
Very interested in how this turns out.

I've had a popping/clunking noise since new (2022), usually when pulling away from a stop when turning left or right. It's always a single pop, like something is shifting. Can usually make it happen again by turning the opposite way.

Checked the visible cowl bolts, but they were very tight, but wanted to wait for warmer weather before digging in too deep.

Z31, those are the symptoms exactly. Once you get it to "shift" or "creak" to the right, then it will only do that on a left turn. For mine its usually slow speed, like under 10 ish. Control arm bushings or upper strut bearing mounts wouldn't do this im my opinion. Sway bar end link attach points might. I am going to check mine soon. Its not a worn out part in my view. Its something loose and shifting like you say. I wonder if the cx5s have the cowl plate/cross brace. I watched a YouTube video from some guy that does reviews on cars and he knew what he was talking about it seemed. He said they stretched the CX-5 for the CX-9 gen 2. And it was reaching its limits whatever that means. Maybe the car kind of flexes more than it should. I'm usually like a dog with a bone on these things so I'm going to figure it out.

Yes, slow speeds, and seems to always be on the throttle also for me (but might be coincedental).

I have older car that actually had a similar problem, but it was the ball joints slipping in the control arms.. After some hard right hand turns, I could make it clunk going left, etc..

I doubt that's what's happening here, but I did see one old post where someone claimed it was a loose sub-frame fastener. Probably unlikely, but possible. (Post #82 on the other pop/clunk thread).

I also wondered if perhaps it was the door hinges making a slight pop..

Last edited:
Love the car, feels like it was built for me, but these things are def irritating.

Has been doing is since day one (11,000 kms presently)

Okay there are 12 bolts. Took me about an hour going slow to get to them First you have to pull both wiper arms then you have to pull the little tiny trim pieces on the lower right hand and left hand corners of the windshield then you have to pull the windshield washer hose Union under the right hand Hood hinge then you have to pull five plastic push pins and then the whole plastic assembly comes off. To get the 12th bolt under the windshield wiper motor assembly you have to pull two 10 mm headed bolts that hold that assembly down and just twist it a little bit to get that 12th bolt. All mine were loose. You could just pop the plastic push pins and get to the 2 additional bolts on the strut tower on each side without going through all this. It's not that big of a deal but if you don't want to you can always torque the four strut Tower bolts which probably are doing most of the work. I could have had this done under warranty with the TSB as my reason but it was a lot quicker for me to do it myself and now I know it's done right.

Attachments

• 20230307_152139.jpg
    20230307_152139.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 178
  • 20230307_152149.jpg
    20230307_152149.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 176
  • 20230307_152158.jpg
    20230307_152158.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Wow, perfect! Hopefully this solves the clunk.

Anything you can do to avoid a trip to the dealer is a win!

I can understand why these might need a re-torque. Its effectively a plate that was bolted down to a body that wants to twist. The fact they put 4 bolts on each strut tower tells me the plate is secondary structure. They could have just welded it in but my guess is this plate(cowl) gets pulled to get access to turbo area? Or maybe to pull the engine from above. If I hear any creaks I don't think it will be the cowl plate. Might put a wrench on the sway bar end link nuts next. Those could have a left/right creak noise too I think. I like the car for me too. I don't need a Telluride/highlander. Almost purchased another CX5 but felt small and when I found out Mazda put Cylinder Deactivation on the engine I lost interest. Come-on Mazda! CD on a 4cyl for what? .5 MPG? Stupid

Coincidentally one of the issues my 2020 9er with under 18k miles is experiencing right now and is at the dealership for is this exact popping AND creaking in the suspension at slower speeds especially over speed bumps and at sharp angles pulling into my driveway or in parking lot maneuvers. My 2021 CX-5 with under 7k miles is starting to do it now too.... along with the oil control valve vvt solenoid leak.

Last edited:
Be interesting to see what they say. Here is another TSB that is relevant.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230307-210309_Xodo Docs.jpg
    Screenshot_20230307-210309_Xodo Docs.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 179
What really pisses me off is mazda issues a tsb for these cowl bolts, and the dealers are too stupid AND lazy to find the information to help owners fix thiers cars. Absolutely inexcusable.

What really pisses me off is mazda issues a tsb for these cowl bolts, and the dealers are too stupid AND lazy to find the information to help owners fix thiers cars. Absolutely inexcusable.
Absolutely true and only getting worse. Why do WE have to do THEIR job. Everything is a $hit show today it's unreal.

Latest posts

Back