Servicing advice for 2016 CX-5 Grand Touring

Any tips for servicing a 2016 Grand Touring with 34,000 miles? Anything to look out for in particular?

The brakes need replacing (rears are at 40%) and it hasn't been serviced since about 20,000 miles.

Should I avoid a Mazda service center in Los Angeles and find something cheaper? Is Pep Boys any good/cheaper?

Thanks.

Avoid Pep Boys like your life depended on it. Either find a local reliable shop (with good reviews) that services a lot of japanese cars or go to the dealer. At 34k all you need is an oil/filter change. Probably engine air filter (but you can do that youself, takes all of 5 minutes). Cabin air filter which you can also do yourself in less than 5 minutes. There's plenty of youtube videos for changing both.

Your only real concern is the brakes. Probably wouldn't hurt to get a good inspection.

Many independent service shops will do a complete 100 point inspection if you get a simple engine oil/filter service done. Firestone and PEP boys both hires ASE certified service technician's and neither for the volume of customers helped are a bad place to go. The dealership in your area may also have a oil/filter special that competes with independent shops and may be a good consideration to get a vehicle overall inspection done.

Any tips for servicing a 2016 Grand Touring with 34,000 miles? Anything to look out for in particular?

The brakes need replacing (rears are at 40%) and it hasn't been serviced since about 20,000 miles.

Should I avoid a Mazda service center in Los Angeles and find something cheaper? Is Pep Boys any good/cheaper?

Thanks.

see if you can get pads only replaced. a lot of places will only warranty their work if you get new calipers too, and/or new rotors...this jacks up the price. just ask for new pads as I highly doubt the calipers are bad.

They will want to check the rotors for run-out and probably want to scuff or turn them to help the pads seat properly. There should be enough life on the rotors for a "turning" and you'll start with a fresh rotor surface and new pads.

I would get a brake fluid flush, which is recommended every 2 years regardless of mileage.

the only thing I don't like about the CS-5 is the rear electronic parking brake. too many things to go squirrely with the motors. I even took the CS-5 to the dealer for a new battery because I didn't want to have to deal with something happening with the rear parking brake.

Not much to add but dealers are offering some deals right now to get people in since they aren't selling many cars. Check online.

I would get a brake fluid flush, which is recommended every 2 years regardless of mileage.
I like everything about your last response buttttttt maybe save the money by getting the fluid check first. The recommendation may be every 2 years but then again, most factory service guides even suggest testing the fluid first. Brake fluid is not cheap nor the complete and proper brake fluid replacement service.

I frequently check mine and here are the last 2 in my 2022 record book. I have not yet changed the brake fluid. I will in the near future but that's because of the BBK install.

Attachments

• IMG_20220607_133615932_2.jpg
    IMG_20220607_133615932_2.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20220607_133701263_2.jpg
    IMG_20220607_133701263_2.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20220607_133749682_2.jpg
    IMG_20220607_133749682_2.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 99
see if you can get pads only replaced. a lot of places will only warranty their work if you get new calipers too, and/or new rotors...this jacks up the price. just ask for new pads as I highly doubt the calipers are bad.

They will want to check the rotors for run-out and probably want to scuff or turn them to help the pads seat properly. There should be enough life on the rotors for a "turning" and you'll start with a fresh rotor surface and new pads.

the only thing I don't like about the CS-5 is the rear electronic parking brake. too many things to go squirrely with the motors. I even took the CS-5 to the dealer for a new battery because I didn't want to have to deal with something happening with the rear parking brake.
Why on earth would any shop push to replace calipers? That is definitely not something that is part of a routine brake service/replacement procedure. Pads and rotors, yes. The only time you would have to replace calipers is if there is a problem with them. At 34,000 miles, the calipers will be fine, especially in a warm climate like LA. If any garage insists on replacing them as part of a brake warranty, walk away. That would be nothing but a money grab.

A word of caution if you are taking the vehicle to an independent repair shop: Rear brakes must be done with the vehicle in maintenance mode. Most of these shops don't have a clue, and if they try a rear brake job the old fashioned way, like trying to compress or rotate the caliper piston, they will ruin your calipers. Beware. If this happens, they will lay the blame on the vehicle and try and get you to foot the bill......for their mistake. I'd take it to a dealer for rear brakes personally.
As for a brake fluid flush every two years, on a 2016 vehicle with only 34,000 miles? That averages out to replacing brake fluid every 12,000 miles. That's a wee bit excessive. Sorry, but it's not worth it.

I'm sorry but what in the world does a warm climate have to do with the condition or wear or longevity on a brake caliper. :LOL:

And as for a blanket response about NOT changing the brake fluid... that is sort of careless, what I suggested was to at least have it checked. But if the Warranty and the service scheduling specifies it than you had better do it. Regardless of the test strip results so as not to have a brake issue really come up and get void from warranty.

If there is an ASE currently certified in the shop doing the brakes on a MAZDA it was part of passing the test to get certified or re-certification knowing specifically about computer braking and electrically actuated rear brakes systems and if I remember the MAZDA was a test sample question on the pre-ASE examine? Sure, you can politely mention that you are concerned because of all the DIY (not shops) botching up a brake job but I would highly recommend not to be rude!
As for damaging the rear brakes on a MAZDA it is cut and dry who would have done it if it were to happen. I would really be surprised to read an actual case any reputable shop with qualified brake techs ever placed the blame elsewhere damaging the rear electric brake system?

Some of you should realize that across the nation in the USA service shop rates are at an all time high. The dealerships at this point are competitive with independent shops in many area's of the USA. That will soon change and when you start seeing the basic flat hour rate at close to 200 or more per hour then perhaps some of you that are diehard dealer users may be less predominate posting "take it to the dealer" responses? :ROFLMAO:

So... along the lines of this thread at least... I just bought a brake fluid tester (the cheap battery powered type that estimates water absorption by measuring conductivity). But when I go to try to access the fluid, there's a pesky grid filter in the way, that's clipped into the filler neck.

Anyone have any tips on how to (or if you can) remove this without damaging it?

That cup just snaps into place and is easily removable. You just need to look for the lock tabs and carefully release them. The curious thing which is often misunderstood is that all you need is to sample any of the fluid. The test while only indicate the water/copper content of the reservoir does give a good indication of how the rest of the brake fluid is closer to the calipers where it is more likely contamination can enter. If you are still on the low contamination side, then the calipers may be slightly higher. Fluid in a hydraulic brake system takes a long time to re-circulate so experience comes into a factor when testing the fluid at the reservoir.

Read the manual and do what it recomends for 30k miles and the type of operation it has seen.

Avoid Pep Boys.

Read the manual and do what it recomends for 30k miles and the type of operation it has seen.

Avoid Pep Boys.
The owners service guide schedules were set up for basically coverage of warranty. Just keep that in mind when advising? Doing any service work before the recommended periods is never harmful

Some Pep boys offer FREE brake fluid testing. As you saw in a previous response "anyone" can do the test.

The owners service guide schedules were set up for basically coverage of warranty. Just keep that in mind when advising? Doing any service work before the recommended periods is never harmful

Some Pep boys offer FREE brake fluid testing. As you saw in a previous response "anyone" can do the test.

Only partially. While it might be considered minimum, it is also there as "enough" and to keep unscrupulous dealers from overcharging customers.

Up North where the winters are cold and there's lots of salt on the roads, yes, replacing calipers is commonplace because they will straight up rot off. If you don't have salt on the roads, calipers can last the life of the car.

I'm sorry but what in the world does a warm climate have to do with the condition or wear or longevity on a brake caliper. :LOL:

And as for a blanket response about NOT changing the brake fluid... that is sort of careless, what I suggested was to at least have it checked. But if the Warranty and the service scheduling specifies it than you had better do it. Regardless of the test strip results so as not to have a brake issue really come up and get void from warranty.

:ROFLMAO:
As mentioned above by theblooms, a warm climate vs. the brutal winters and salt covered roads where I come from absolutely have an effect on calipers, (and just about every other component under the car). Put a ten year old car from my town next to a ten year old car from L.A., and you'll see a huge difference.
Secondly, I didn't make a "blanket response" about not changing the brake fluid. I said that changing the brake fluid every 12,000 miles is a bit excessive. Also, please explain Mazda's Warranty policy and service scheduling regarding brake fluid replacement. I'd like to know where you find that.

As mentioned above by theblooms, a warm climate vs. the *brutal winters and salt covered roads where I come from absolutely have an effect on calipers, (and just about every other component under the car). Put a ten year old car from my town next to a ten year old car from L.A., and you'll see a huge difference.
Secondly, I didn't make a "blanket response" about not changing the brake fluid. I said that changing the brake fluid every 12,000 miles is a bit excessive. Also, please explain Mazda's Warranty policy and service scheduling regarding brake fluid replacement. I'd like to know where you find that.
Why does everyone often use LA as an example for comparing their states cars conditions. Maybe if comparing bullet holes in a vehicle ROLMAO then sure otherwise it really goes back to how one basically takes care of their vehicle.

Try rinsing the undercarriage once in a while with plain water! This will do wonders at preserving and preventing or slowing down the effects of corrosion.
I often travel to *RENO, *Oregon and *Washington. I also live in Santa Cruz Ca (Ocean salt air none garaged vehicles) for 12 years. I do not seem to have the same drastic issues that some seem to have.

I recommend that everyone: Have your brake fluid checked at least every time you get an engine oil/filter service.

As for the service schedule then that takes a little understanding and some form of basic logic when reading. Under brake fluid the months or miles it is indicated in most scheduling under the letter (I) The I mean to INSPECT! So inspect for some of us would mean to look at the fluid level, fluid color and perhaps more advance testing the fluid? This would determine when a complete brake fluid is needed and perhaps before the scheduling of a "must do" for warranty coverage.

Last edited:
I wash the underside of my CX-9 regularly in winter. Once every two weeks, sometimes once a week. Even then, I still have surface rust on the exposed components. It's just the way it is here (Canadian Prairies).

The manual does indeed list brake fluid as an inspection item, so it should be inspected regularly and serviced accordingly. What may be deemed excessive for one driver, may be considered a requirement by another. We have different driving styles/environments that lend to differences in opinion regarding many topics. It's important that we, as a community, remember to keep that in mind in order to keep conversations and discussions friendly.

I wash the underside of my CX-9 regularly in winter. Once every two weeks, sometimes once a week. Even then, I still have surface rust on the exposed components. It's just the way it is here (Canadian Prairies).

The manual does indeed list brake fluid as an inspection item, so it should be inspected regularly and serviced accordingly. What may be deemed excessive for one driver, may be considered a requirement by another. We have different driving styles/environments that lend to differences in opinion regarding many topics. It's important that we, as a community, remember to keep that in mind in order to keep conversations and discussions friendly.
Some surface rust is always a challenge even on the best kept daily drivers anywhere. But your rinsing does reduce the oxidation time of those exposed area's and also slows down or prevents new ones from starting. (y)

There are a few areas of a vehicle that I am very adamant to stress servicing and inspecting having seen every possible shape and condition from customers vehicles over the years. The number one is the BRAKE SYSTEM. So many take it for granted, until the day comes that the brakes need to function close to perfect! That would be when I look in my rear-view mirror and I see someone coming up to me at a stop faster than they should and I hope they are on a forum like this one that a member stresses doing some proper procedure, service or inspection on or before what the auto manufacture lists in their service scheduling guide! :eek:

Back