Questions about downsizing wheels

Hello, just got a '21 CE AWD. I am looking to swap the 19s with 17s for the forest service roads and trails in the NW.

I'd like to stick to OEM wheels, but I don't like the standard 17s and much prefer black, so looking at aftermarket. It's been difficult to find the specs of the OEM wheels and tires, but I'm currently looking at the following as Les Schwab has them in stock:

RaceLine Matrix
17x7.5, 40 offset, 23lbs, 1675lb load rating.
https://racelinewheels.com/products/146-matrix?variant=32196739760208

Would likely be running 235/65R17 Falken Wildpeak or similar les schwab all terrain tires

A few questions:
1) Anyone seen/used raceline wheels on a CX-5? Should these hold up on rough roads? Any recommendations of others? Better to stick to OEM?
2) I assume mildly wider (7.5" or 8") wheels are fine? Any specific disadvantages?
3) Any issues running 235/65s instead of 225s like OEMs?
4) Is the 1675 load rating acceptable for the CX-5? anyone know what the OEM wheels are?

Last edited:
Generally, I use wheel-size.com to search for OEM wheel sizes.

Looks like your OEM wheels for the CE non-turbo would be 19x7 +45, with 225/55 tires and a 99V Load Index and Speed Rating (max 1700lbs, 150mph).

That site also has a tire calculator that you can use. This calculator takes a lot of parameters into account and gives some good feedback. The link below should compare your OEM wheels with your proposed new setup.

Based on what the calc says, overall tire diameter will be larger by 4mm, wheels will "poke out" more by about 10mm, positive scrub increases by 4mm.

I just setup our new CE Turbo with Enkei Vulcan's in 17x7.5 45 and Wildpeak Trail 235/65R17. We have been running the WP Trails on our Highlander for a couple years and they work really well here in CO.

Attachments

• 20220117_161919[1].jpg
    20220117_161919[1].jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 195
I just setup our new CE Turbo with Enkei Vulcan's in 17x7.5 45 and Wildpeak Trail 235/65R17. We have been running the WP Trails on our Highlander for a couple years and they work really well here in CO.
Those look great, exactly what I'm going for. Did you notice any significant change in road noise / handling / MPG ?

No road noise that I've noticed and the ride quality is improved in all conditions. I haven't paid attention, but I'm sure MPG will take a small hit. The 235/65/R17 WP Trail have XL load rating so they should wear well and the sidewall does feel a bit firmer than the SL rated 245/55/R19's we have on our Highlander. Worth any tradeoffs IMHO for more sidewall and a solid all season tire that does awesome with CO and WY roads and conditions.

Regarding Falken's in general, I am a fan since they reworked and improved their AT products five or six years ago; good product and price point. I am on my second set of WP AT3W's on my GX460, got 50K+ out of the first set and didn't notice road noise and ride quality changes until around 40K.

No road noise that I've noticed and the ride quality is improved in all conditions. I haven't paid attention, but I'm sure MPG will take a small hit. The 235/65/R17 WP Trail have XL load rating so they should wear well and the sidewall does feel a bit firmer than the SL rated 245/55/R19's we have on our Highlander. Worth any tradeoffs IMHO for more sidewall and a solid all season tire that does awesome with CO and WY roads and conditions.

Regarding Falken's in general, I am a fan since they reworked and improved their AT products five or six years ago; good product and price point. I am on my second set of WP AT3W's on my GX460, got 50K+ out of the first set and didn't notice road noise and ride quality changes until around 40K.
Reported and measured MPG using the instruments will take more of a hit than actual MPG, because with a larger OD, you'll be travelling further/faster than the Odometer/Speedometer indicate.

You'll also accelerate slightly slower since having a larger tire is like being in a slightly higher gear.

Back