CX-5 Engine Swap?

The only feasible option for the swap is to have a complete donor. Otherwise, it will nickel & dime you broke or frustrated. This is the only way I would do the swap. I am sure you can buy a complete wreck without title through an auction for a good price. Check out IAAI auction for your location. With IAAI, anyone can buy it not just a dealer or dealer license. I did this years back with the BMW, went from automatic to 5-speed manual. I got most of my money back buy selling & give it away the spare parts that I didn't need.

Best of luck,

Jay

what about a ls4 thats what im lookin into
What about:
- How will an LS4 bolt onto the CX tranny?
- How long before the CX tranny - rated to about 350 lb/ft torque - grenades?
- How will you transplant a GM FWD tranny into the CX?
- How will the big V8 even fit in the CX engine bay?
- How will you be able to fit the larger cooling system required into the engine bay?
- How will you determine what springs you will have to use to support all that extra weight on the front end?
- How will the ECU and TCU integrate into the CX‘s complex computer system?
- How will you install the bigger brakes required for a hipo CX?
- How can you afford to have your CX not driveable for the 3 to 5 months a project like this will probably take?

Swapping a big motor into a modern vehicle isn’t as easy as it was 30 years ago. Sure, it can be done, but the cost and hassle is seldom worth it. Cheaper just to buy a GT 500.

There's no such thing as "can't": that's why they make torches and hammers!

1630124305412.png

What about:
- How will an LS4 bolt onto the CX tranny?
- How long before the CX tranny - rated to about 350 lb/ft torque - grenades?
- How will you transplant a GM FWD tranny into the CX?
- How will the big V8 even fit in the CX engine bay?
- How will you be able to fit the larger cooling system required into the engine bay?
- How will you determine what springs you will have to use to support all that extra weight on the front end?
- How will the ECU and TCU integrate into the CX‘s complex computer system?
- How will you install the bigger brakes required for a hipo CX?
- How can you afford to have your CX not driveable for the 3 to 5 months a project like this will probably take?

Swapping a big motor into a modern vehicle isn’t as easy as it was 30 years ago. Sure, it can be done, but the cost and hassle is seldom worth it. Cheaper just to buy a GT 500.

A V8 swap would almost certainly be done as RWD. I'm sure it would be much easier than trying to get a V8 in there sideways with a transaxle (much less common OEM setup). A FWD I-4 engine bay almost always has plenty of width for a longitudinal V8 swap. It's the length of the bay that's questionable. Although a CX5 has quite a bit of room underneath the cowl so it could work. But then there would have to be a lot of cutting and custom work under the center console to create a transmission tunnel.

And then of course you're looking at a custom driveshaft, and at that point you might as well go ahead and do a custom-mounted rear diff and CV axles, such as a Getrag from a Caddy CTS-V.

I don't know what the 2.5L Skyactive engines weigh, but an all aluminum LS or LT engine probably isn't that much more. They're nearly the same weight as the iron-block 1.8L Miata BP engines which is one reason why the V8 works so well in those cars.

⋯ I don't know what the 2.5L Skyactive engines weigh, but an all aluminum LS or LT engine probably isn't that much more. They're nearly the same weight as the iron-block 1.8L Miata BP engines which is one reason why the V8 works so well in those cars.
Seriously? Remember almost all modern I4’s, including SkyActiv engines, are also made by “all-aluminum”.

The OP clearly wasn’t interested in a V8 swap. He said he wanted to use a Subi WRX engine and was willing to use a different transmission if “needed“. We’ll never know his budget since he hasn’t been back in months.

Back