Said goodbye to my CX-5!

Nice upgrade. A good turbo 4 can be sweet. I have MB C250 with 1.8L turbo 4, plenty of power, super smooth up to redline, decent MPG (actual 22 city/30 hwy).

I sold my 2013 CX-5 2.0L last summer to a family member, she's enjoying it.

Actually I prefer the Mazda way by developing SkyActiv Technology to improve the car efficiency and not following most other car manufactures simply adding turbo charger(s) and using CVT to achieve better EPA pre-programmed test circle numbers. I keep my new car for a long time and I don't like the idea of replacing expensive turbo charger(s) and fixing the CVT when the car is getting older.

Your V60 is a station wagon, not a CUV. You should get better MPG, especially on the highway with lower wind resistance. With turbo, you will be easily using more gas than EPA rating just like you found out during the trip. You have to remember, there is no free lunch. You want more power, you need to put more gas in. In your case, the turbo sucks in more gas. Unless the engine itself is efficient, like Mazda's high compression SkyActiv engine.

You do realize that Volvo now is a Chinese company, right? Volvo Car Corporation is a wholly owned subsidiary of Zhejiang Geely Holding Group of China.

Yes, I was specifically wanting a wagon to take advantage of efficiency, driving characteristic plus the added cargo space vs a sedan. I've had CUVs for 9 years and really wanted to have the car-like experience.

This V60 was wholly designed and built in Goteburg, Sweden. I realize the holding company is Chinese (which surely infused some much needed cash), but it at least appears that Volvo continues to be designed and run out of Sweden. I really feel that I bought a Swedish car, not a Chinese car. On the other hand, I wish Ford had been successful with Volvo. They have quite a history with unique innovation and safety.

Regardless of how much gas is sucked in, as long as I'm getting the speed and MPG without a CVT, I'm not bothered by turbos. I'll probably keep the car a few years before there are any issues crop up.

Thanks for the feedbackk!

Actually I prefer the Mazda way by developing SkyActiv Technology to improve the car efficiency and not following most other car manufactures simply adding turbo charger(s) and using CVT to achieve better EPA pre-programmed test circle numbers. I keep my new car for a long time and I don't like the idea of replacing expensive turbo charger(s) and fixing the CVT when the car is getting older...

The CX-5 is our first Mazda and this is the reason right here.

I have no problem (sort of) with hanging a turbo on a small displacement ICE to get more giddy-up and an attempt at better mileage. But this is becoming the default path for too many manufacures. I understand that emmisions and CAFE standards are a moving target, sucking up R&D budgets to comply but... If you've ever watched heavy equipment working in dark it might make you wonder if you want that going on in you family car, just sayin'.

Mazda has taken proven ideas integrated and refined them for the Sky-Activ. An efficient and reasonably powerful for it's size normally aspirated ICE is a work of beauty. Just as the old factory stock 426 Hemi putting out 425 hp with a carborator back in the day was a marvel, the Sky-Activ integration of good engineering, utilizing the effiency of a partial Atkison Cycle while bumping up the compression ratio to improve torque and horsepower WITHOUT resorting to a supercharger or turbocharger is impressive thinking. The only issue I have is will this motor last? Time will tell.

I would chose a manual transmission over and automatic in any vehicle. I and SWMBO dislike the driving characteristics of a CVT which is why the CRV, Rogue and Subaru were scratched off the list as soon as we finished the test drive. Since it seems folks don't care to shift any more, we are stuck with autos. The driving feel of the Sky-Activ 6spd in the CX-5 is very satisfying to both of us who would rather row the shifter even in town than lolly-gag an auto. Crisp shifting, tight control, engine braking if needed and possible manual selection of each gear.

Pretty ballsy stuff from a tiny auto maker trying to hang on I think.

Please, I don't diss anyone for thier choice of vehciles. I love cars, all have something to admire. Ford, Vovlo, BMW, VW, Audi, GM, even Fiat have something to appreciate. Mazda is just taking a different path right now and it makes some sense.

Actually I prefer the Mazda way by developing SkyActiv Technology to improve the car efficiency and not following most other car manufactures simply adding turbo charger(s) and using CVT to achieve better EPA pre-programmed test circle numbers. I keep my new car for a long time and I don't like the idea of replacing expensive turbo charger(s) and fixing the CVT when the car is getting older...
The CX-5 is our first Mazda and this is the reason right here.
Same here. We bought our first Mazda all because we're sold by its SkyActiv Technology. Apparently you and me both are having "old-school" thinking!

... the Sky-Activ integration of good engineering, utilizing the effiency of a partial Atkison Cycle while bumping up the compression ratio to improve torque and horsepower WITHOUT resorting to a supercharger or turbocharger is impressive thinking. The only issue I have is will this motor last? Time will tell.
I believe all the innovations SkyActiv developed are very conservative and traditional. The chances of getting issues in longevity should be very minimum! On the other hand, turbo gas engines are having long history of issues due to the extreme heat which is inevitable. Oil sludge, caused by oil been cooked, class action law suit on VW/Audi's 1.8T turbo engine had caused a fortune from Volkswagen of America. Even with all the new "improvements" on now very popular turbo setup from most car manufactures, have they really overcome the heat issue? Do you need to let the turbo engine idle for a while to cool down the turbo charger then shut the engine off? Can mandatory usage of synthetic oil really help the oil service life and prevent oil sludge? How long can the expensive turbo charger last even with all the "improvements"? Too many questions on turbo engines and only time can tell!

Station wagon is a dying breed like the stick shift although I like them both. Mazda is a small car company and I just don't think they will take any risks to make a not-so-popular station wagon. Remember Honda Accord station wagon experiment? It was failed miserably.
The Honda Crosstour was ugly, expensive, heavy, not fuel-efficient. It wasn't even very practical with its internal volume. Honda gambled that hatchbacks (as opposed to wagons) will be back in style. What they should have done is build an Outback fighter instead of a Venza alternative.
True, wagons are not popular in the US, but are all the rage everywhere else. There is some hope, however, if the new crop of smaller CUVs like the GLA250 or X1 and maybe HRV / CX-3 will become successful, the line between these cars and wagons becomes really bleary. One more iteration and we'll have proper wagons.

The Honda Crosstour was ugly, expensive, heavy, not fuel-efficient. It wasn't even very practical with its internal volume. Honda gambled that hatchbacks (as opposed to wagons) will be back in style. What they should have done is build an Outback fighter instead of a Venza alternative.
True, wagons are not popular in the US, but are all the rage everywhere else. There is some hope, however, if the new crop of smaller CUVs like the GLA250 or X1 and maybe HRV / CX-3 will become successful, the line between these cars and wagons becomes really bleary. One more iteration and we'll have proper wagons.

In recent years (driving a sedan or traditional height vehicle) I have felt at a height disadvantage. This is one of the primary reasons I chose to buy a CX-5, so that I could ride elevated like all the other SUV's and CUV's. For my city driving standing lower is o.k. but on my long distance trips, such as Nor Cal to So Cal 500 miles on I 5 freeway, the traditional car height lack of forward visibility bothers me. In prior years it was not that way, but each year there are more and more SUV's and CUV's occupying the highways.

I believe all the innovations SkyActiv developed are very conservative and traditional. The chances of getting issues in longevity should be very minimum! On the other hand, turbo gas engines are having long history of issues due to the extreme heat which is inevitable. Oil sludge, caused by oil been cooked, class action law suit on VW/Audi's 1.8T turbo engine had caused a fortune from Volkswagen of America. Even with all the new "improvements" on now very popular turbo setup from most car manufactures, have they really overcome the heat issue? Do you need to let the turbo engine idle for a while to cool down the turbo charger then shut the engine off? Can mandatory usage of synthetic oil really help the oil service life and prevent oil sludge? How long can the expensive turbo charger last even with all the "improvements"? Too many questions on turbo engines and only time can tell!

yrwei52:

Yup you hit the nail on the head. If a fellow has spent time around heavy equipment you'll see the "amazing free power" a turbo gives up while constantly glowing red hot in the dark when under a load. The problems it creats on our tiny 4 cylinder aluminum block-head family cars you laid out quite well.

I, like you, expect to get our moneys worth out of the price paid. We expect to get 250,000 miles or more. Two of ours are over that and I feel if they give up tomorrow I got my money's worth. BTW the silver one and the black one 250k +... I agree the Soul Red one will go the distance as well, precisely for the for the same old-school reasons you descibe. Smart engineering in NA motor.

Yeah we'll have to wash it to keep it clean, but it is pretty! LOL!

the traditional car height lack of forward visibility bothers me. In prior years it was not that way, but each year there are more and more SUV's and CUV's occupying the highways.
Interesting. However, there is always another vehicle of equal height or higher than you which will block your view...
Also, I5 is at least 2 lanes with great visibility. What about twisty mountain roads?

Interesting. However, there is always another vehicle of equal height or higher than you which will block your view...
Also, I5 is at least 2 lanes with great visibility. What about twisty mountain roads?

Like dating actresses, years ago I gave up driving "twisty mountain roads".
As for I-5, yes it is always two or more lanes, but on that road (no matter which lane) drafting an SUV or CUV is getting more and more common. I would rather be their height than half their height.I do expect that as the years go by more and more people will become frustrated by taller vehicles impeding their forward view. If you can't beat em, join em.

Last edited:
Different vehicles for different purposes works for me. In traffic, the extra height of SUV adds value and safety via extra visibility, yep even as SUVs continue to grow in popularity.

Last edited:
Looks to me this is more about psychology than actual visual limitation. I drove up and down I5 many times, usually in a sedan or hatchback but also with the CX-5. I never felt any visual impairment with any. With the great visibility in this highway, I can usually see several cars ahead. If you had said twisty mountain roads, I could find it more plausible. However, even on these roads I found my self stuck behind a huge RV once in a while. Are you going to buy an SUV that large? There are plenty of these around also on I5 along with semis...

Perhaps high seating position is popular because this is the pickup truck nation (nowhere else are those so popular). Perhaps because seating up high gives a false sense of superiority.

Pictures

Ok, finally have two pictures from atop Waterrock Knob here in NC.

IMG_0132.JPG
IMG_0134.JPG

This has been quite a lively and informative discussion! Here are a few thoughts of mine.

The wagon vs. SUV vs. hatchback issue: Although this is classified as a wagon, one could argue that it looks like an elongated hatchback, due to the placement of the real wheels. There is a CX version that rides higher, but there is a sacrifice in handling and gas mileage. There is a body cladding kit from Volvo that could make it look a bit SUV-like, but I prefer the clean look presented in the pics. Our brains prefer to deal with classifications (and generalizations) for quick processing of information, so we have the tendency to assign labels for something called a "wagon" or a "mini-van" that stir up first impressions and assumptions. These labels are becoming problematic today, as it seems like the blending of traditional vehicle styles and utility is making labels such as "wagon", "CUV/SUV", and "hatchback" irrelevant.

Turbo Technology: It seems to me that all new technologies take time to be perfected. When autos were first introduce, there were many shortcomings, but look where we are now. Just because turbos have had problems in the past doesn't spell doom for the technology.

Manual vs. Automatic: I also like the idea of manuals, and I've owned several, but we have to be practical. With technology, smartphones, etc., how is the overworked and multi-tasking person supposed to keep one hand on the wheel, another on the shift, and also answer phones, press buttons, drink coffee, etc. all at the same time? Modern life has made shifting another multi-task item to be concerned about. Add stop and go city traffic, and shifting becomes a real chore!

Sitting high: Yes, the V60 sits lower, although I don't feel like I am sacrificing visibility.

Thanks for a lively discussion!

I saw an R design in red the other day, such a good looking car. I will definitely buy a Volvo over a BMW, Mercedes or Audi. The german cars seems to be the default vehicle for when you get a promotion to a management position, so sad and depressing.

Turbo Technology: It seems to me that all new technologies take time to be perfected. When autos were first introduce, there were many shortcomings, but look where we are now. Just because turbos have had problems in the past doesn't spell doom for the technology.
Turbo Technology has been improved. The expensive turbo charger used to last 50K~80K miles now may be longer. You have to use quality synthetic oil and change it more often due to the high temperature or the oil will get cooked and hence oil sludge issue and class action law suit (i.e. VW/Audi 1.8T). The problem to me is the extremely high temperature generated by turbo charger: can be as high as 1,922F/1,050C!!! This extremely high temperature will never go away if you have a turbo. In addition, The software can set to such a way that the turbo is not spinning too much at a preset highway speed for EPA test circle. This makes the fuel consumption looks better with smaller displacement engine. But in the real world, you will press the gas padel, the the turbo will be spinning more often. This means you will use more fuel than indicated by EPA ratings. But most car manufactures don't care about reliability on longevity and real-world fuel economy right now. They worry more about meeting the CAFE standard with better EPA (i.e. non-real-world) numbers. Adding turbo charger with smaller displacement engine is one of the easiest way to achieve this goal!

Back