H&R lowering springs

Camber is supposedly not adjustable, however I've had my tires aligned twice (once when springs installed and today at almost 30k) and the rear aligment was not the same as the previous. Also my tires wear just fine, and I drive hard, power slide, accelerate on hard turns at 70-90 mph on certain parts of hwy.. if you had ba wear form normal driving it was certainly not because of the change in camber itself

I have booked (and already paid for - to ensure I don't 'forget' again) an alignment this Saturday. Hopefully this should keep the wear on the new tyres (Nitto NT850+ CUV) at bay for a while.

I have booked (and already paid for - to ensure I don't 'forget' again) an alignment this Saturday. Hopefully this should keep the wear on the new tyres (Nitto NT850+ CUV) at bay for a while.
Please post before/after readings here. I would bet your toe settings (the only thing adjustable on CX-5) contributed greatly to tire wear.

Please post before/after readings here. I would bet your toe settings (the only thing adjustable on CX-5) contributed greatly to tire wear.

Hopefully you are correct.

Previous Toe readings:
FLH: +2.5mm FRH: -6.2mm
RLH: +3.7mm RRH: +9.4mm

New Toe readings:
FLH: +1.9mm FRH: +1.9mm
RLH: +2.1mm RRH: +2.0mm

Can anyone translate this for me? Is the new reading typical of a CX5? What impact would the previous readings have had on the tyre wear?

Last edited:
Hopefully you are correct.

Previous Toe readings:
FLH: +2.5 FRH: -6.2
RLH: +3.7 RRH: +9.4

New Toe readings:
FLH: +1.9 FRH: +1.9
RLH: +2.1 RRH: +2.0

Can anyone translate this for me? Is the new reading typical of a CX5? What impact would the previous readings have had on the tyre wear?
Someone will come along soon to interpret these numbers better than I can, but it's clear they were WAY off what they are now. How about your camber settings; any change from before to after there which resulted from adjustments to toe? They rarely stay exactly the same.

If those are in degrees, then even the new ones have some pretty significant toe in which will eat tires with speed...

If those are in degrees, then even the new ones have some pretty significant toe in which will eat tires with speed...

Sorry those are millimetre readings. I will edit the post.

Someone will come along soon to interpret these numbers better than I can, but it's clear they were WAY off what they are now. How about your camber settings; any change from before to after there which resulted from adjustments to toe? They rarely stay exactly the same.

That's about all I could take from those readings as well. The previous readings seem a lot different to what they are now and in all sorts of + and - measurements.
Camber was not adjusted and as I understand it couldn't be.

Last edited:
Just got wheels on my CX-5 and realized that springs are a must. Would be great if someone could post a detailed HOW TO for installing these springs.

I rocked in to my local tyre shop with the H&R springs, 34min later ( yes only half n hour ) installed and one lap around the block for road test, Cost me 2 boxes of beer !
Turn out this guy does 6 CX-5's a day on H&R f0r the local dealerships so can do it almost blindfolded. Man im lucky to have these guys local an also b a VP cunstomer :)

I rocked in to my local tyre shop with the H&R springs, 34min later ( yes only half n hour ) installed and one lap around the block for road test, Cost me 2 boxes of beer !
Turn out this guy does 6 CX-5's a day on H&R f0r the local dealerships so can do it almost blindfolded. Man im lucky to have these guys local an also b a VP cunstomer :)

Interesting.....more owners getting them lowered. Tell that guy to join here or have him refer those people here lol

Replacing springs, it's not hard at all, just need tools, spring compressors and in some cases some specialized tools.

Last step in my long and tortured decision to lower my Sky Blue Touring

After following the fortunes of others here for more than a year, I finally installed a set of H&R Sport springs on my '13 CX-5 over the weekend and had a four wheel alignment done this morning. Originally ordered the springs from THMotorsports as they seemed to have the best deal. Unfortunately, they don't stock the item and had to special order it from H&M (presumably in Germany, though I'm not sure about that). After missing their first projected delivery date (about two weeks after I placed the order), I canceled and placed the order with Tire Rack, which was actually cheaper ($260 all in) and they had it to me the next day!
The installation was pretty straightforward, the worst part being breaking the 17mm nut loose that holds the upper collar on at the top of the front shock. Best to have an offset end wrench and a good quality long-ish 6mm allen wrench to do this. I used Corksport's online instruction sheet, which was helpful except for the fact that the torque values they gave were all wrong (compared to the Mazda WSM). I emailed Corksport about this and they have made the necessary corrections to their instructions.
The alignment went pretty well with only the camber on the right rear remaining 1/10 of a degree out of spec. Would have liked to see more consistency from side to side, but it is what it is with now way to adjust anything but toe. Will keep an eye on that corner for tire wear and start rotating every 5k miles instead of the normal 7.5k.
So far, I'm really pleased with the net result. The car now looks (to my eye) "planted" (not slammed) on its suspension and so far I haven't noticed any degradation in ride quality. I'm sure one of these days I'll drive down a really crappy road and think to myself "there's that damned "dead coil" in the rear, but the CX-5 always seemed like it had a rather stiff-ish ride anyway, and so far it doesn't seem any worse. Side benefits: I can now reach the middle of the top when washing the car, the 17" wheels/tires fit the wheel wells better and the view through the windshield seems noticeably lower in traffic so I don't feel quite so much like I'm still driving my old Nissan pickup. Well worth the total investment of $325 I would say!

Attachments

• H&R#1.jpg
    H&R#1.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 417
  • H&R#2.jpg
    H&R#2.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 435
After following the fortunes of others here for more than a year, I finally installed a set of H&R Sport springs on my '13 CX-5 over the weekend and had a four wheel alignment done this morning. Originally ordered the springs from THMotorsports as they seemed to have the best deal. Unfortunately, they don't stock the item and had to special order it from H&M (presumably in Germany, though I'm not sure about that). After missing their first projected delivery date (about two weeks after I placed the order), I canceled and placed the order with Tire Rack, which was actually cheaper ($260 all in) and they had it to me the next day!
The installation was pretty straightforward, the worst part being breaking the 17mm nut loose that holds the upper collar on at the top of the front shock. Best to have an offset end wrench and a good quality long-ish 6mm allen wrench to do this. I used Corksport's online instruction sheet, which was helpful except for the fact that the torque values they gave were all wrong (compared to the Mazda WSM). I emailed Corksport about this and they have made the necessary corrections to their instructions.
The alignment went pretty well with only the camber on the right rear remaining 1/10 of a degree out of spec. Would have liked to see more consistency from side to side, but it is what it is with now way to adjust anything but toe. Will keep an eye on that corner for tire wear and start rotating every 5k miles instead of the normal 7.5k.
So far, I'm really pleased with the net result. The car now looks (to my eye) "planted" (not slammed) on its suspension and so far I haven't noticed any degradation in ride quality. I'm sure one of these days I'll drive down a really crappy road and think to myself "there's that damned "dead coil" in the rear, but the CX-5 always seemed like it had a rather stiff-ish ride anyway, and so far it doesn't seem any worse. Side benefits: I can now reach the middle of the top when washing the car, the 17" wheels/tires fit the wheel wells better and the view through the windshield seems noticeably lower in traffic so I don't feel quite so much like I'm still driving my old Nissan pickup. Well worth the total investment of $325 I would say!
Congrats! Now.. Click that auction in my sig..

Just got wheels on my CX-5 and realized that springs are a must. Would be great if someone could post a detailed HOW TO for installing these springs.
I know I'm bumping an old post, but you can use the instructions on the corksport website to install and the springs for CX-5.

Congrats paris1, it looks good. I have decided, that I will go with the Corksport springs. I'm waiting for those camber adjusters to show up. I don't want to make two alignments.

Congrats paris1, it looks good. I have decided, that I will go with the Corksport springs. I'm waiting for those camber adjusters to show up. I don't want to make two alignments.
Not a bad plan. I ended up with -1.5 degrees camber on the LR and -2.1 degrees on the RR, which is just outside of spec. Shows you how production variances can effect things on the same car. The shop I used said I can bring it back in a month for a courtesy check to make sure nothing has changed (if the springs settle a little more, for instance) and they only charge $65 for a four wheel alignment. So if I decide to add the camber adjusters to the rear (if and when they go into production) it won't be the end of the world financially.

Do you mean that they are off after alignment?
Most of the H&R and Corksport spring installs here end up with borderline negative rear camber settings post-install. The lower the drop, the greater your chance of being out of spec. The fronts are generally not a problem. I was hoping I would be one of the lucky ones and my left rear is in spec, but the right rear is a little out. I'll keep an eye on the tire wear and rotate every 5k miles.

Back