Navigation controller found on EU Mazda CX-5

ideally, there would be a center console with side by side cup holders instead of front and back for the commander unit.
Personally, I can't imagine going on long trips without 2 cup holders in the center console.
that is the only reason I would hold off this classy looking commander knob.

Ideally mazda would also have this instead of the auto shifter plus paddle shifters:
(it would take less space than the gates of the auto transmission, more cup holder room :) )
Land_Rover-Range_Rover_Sport_2012_1600x1200_wallpaper_13%2B(Copy).jpg

Hi, my CX-5 not come with the commander switch either. I had asked some online stores in UK, the answer wa: it not a cost effective exercise, and can't promise the switch will work properly after all work done.
I had opened the upper panel and found No extra socket under it, so I do think if we want to have this rotary switch plant into our cabin, we have to replace the complete Harness for the cockpit, that isn't easy n cheap. I had given up unless there is someone selling the individual harness for the switch link to main unit.
So I had decided just to add some illumination mod into the boring cup holder.

Here is a few Pictures of the Cables i pulled out of the Main Wiring Harness from a Mazda 6 and Bluetooth Module. I put the Radio from the 6 into the CX5 and could not get USB or Bluetooth to Function. I found that the USB in the Mazda 6 connects to the Bluetooth Module where as the one in the CX-5 seems to connect somewhere else which i am yet to find. I Put the Bluetooth Module from the 6 into the CX-5 with the Head unit and ran a cable to the USB connector which worked but it seems the Bluetooth Module is extremely slow to access music from USB. I have connected the commander to the Head Unit from the 6 and CX5 and it will only work with the Unit from the 6. Has anyone else had any luck with Making the Commander work with the CX5 ?

The bare wires are for illumination and providing constant power to the scroll dial.

IMG_2182.jpgIMG_2181.jpgIMG_2183.jpgIMG_2185.jpgIMG_2184.jpg

The bare wires are for illumination and providing constant power to the scroll dial.

View attachment 206440View attachment 206441View attachment 206442View attachment 206443View attachment 206444

You said the bare wires are for illumination and constant power. The picture shown 3 bare wires, you only mentioned 2 purposes, what the 3rd bare wire does?

And also did you disconnect the battery negative terminal before u connect the Commander. If you did, after u reconnect the battery terminal the Switch should work. If you never disconnect the terminal while you do all these work, try disconnect it now and reconnect it again, let the head unit 'recognize' the presence of the commander switch, good luck.

If everything had done right, but the Commander still not working. Perhaps you had LHD version of commander switch that doesn't compatible with your AU version of CX-5.

If you could have got the wrecked parts of Commander Switch, wish you luck you could get a used console panel as well, since a new piece of console panel doesn't come alone, it comes with the Switch together. Good luck.

Last edited:
They also get the power folding mirrors....

I have searched mazmart.com and oemmazdaparts.com etc and seem to only see 2013 CX5, the year 2014 is not even listed. I'd like to actually install the folding mirrors. Anyone find these for sale aftermarket in NA?

You said the bare wires are for illumination and constant power. The picture shown 3 bare wires, you only mentioned 2 purposes, what the 3rd bare wire does?

And also did you disconnect the battery negative terminal before u connect the Commander. If you did, after u reconnect the battery terminal the Switch should work. If you never disconnect the terminal while you do all these work, try disconnect it now and reconnect it again, let the head unit 'recognize' the presence of the commander switch, good luck.

If everything had done right, but the Commander still not working. Perhaps you had LHD version of commander switch that doesn't compatible with your AU version of CX-5.

If you could have got the wrecked parts of Commander Switch, wish you luck you could get a used console panel as well, since a new piece of console panel doesn't come alone, it comes with the Switch together. Good luck.

The Blue/Grey and Orange/Yellow are Positive and Negative for the LED's the Grey and Purple Further down the Loom is a Positive and will only make the scroll work on the Commander. Yes i also did Disconnect the Battery before i plugged in the Commander. The Headunit from the 6 has no problems seeing the Commander but the one in the CX5 cant see it. All the spare parts came from a Australian Mazda 6.

The Blue/Grey and Orange/Yellow are Positive and Negative for the LED's the Grey and Purple Further down the Loom is a Positive and will only make the scroll work on the Commander.

I doubt the connection you had established, the polarity seems not correct either.

I doubt the connection you had established, the polarity seems not correct either.

I have tried this on the Head Unit from the Mazda 6 and the wiring is all fine and everything functions. But the Unit from the CX5 which appears to be the same but different software does not. I would use the Headunit from the 6 but the USB input is in a different location and has some issues.

Chris, check the diagnostic table that posted on #31, you will find something related to the BT and Commander switch. To access to the this page, after switch on your head unit, press the power and seek-up button simultaneously, then press 15 to see this page. you may want to try on both M6 and CX5 head unit, please post some pic if you see anything.
you said you can't figure out where USB of the CX5 connecting to, did you mean you see no bluetooth module on the CX5?

Chris, check the diagnostic table that posted on #31, you will find something related to the BT and Commander switch. To access to the this page, after switch on your head unit, press the power and seek-up button simultaneously, then press 15 to see this page. you may want to try on both M6 and CX5 head unit, please post some pic if you see anything.
you said you can't figure out where USB of the CX5 connecting to, did you mean you see no bluetooth module on the CX5?

I have done so many of times, on the Mazda 6 Headunit the Commander appears with OK but the Headunit from the CX5 appears with NG (Pictures to come). Now the USB on my CX5 is Connected directly to the back of the headunit via a grey square plug which cures all the slow load times. in the Mazda 6 the USB is connected straight to the bluetooth module. I have trialed swapping the Modules from the Mazda 6 / CX5 around with no luck. also if i plug the existing CX5 USB Port into the head unit USB will not function.

I have done so many of times, on the Mazda 6 Headunit the Commander appears with OK but the Headunit from the CX5 appears with NG (Pictures to come). Now the USB on my CX5 is Connected directly to the back of the headunit via a grey square plug which cures all the slow load times. in the Mazda 6 the USB is connected straight to the bluetooth module. I have trialed swapping the Modules from the Mazda 6 / CX5 around with no luck. also if i plug the existing CX5 USB Port into the head unit USB will not function.

So you have now installed the M6 head unit into your CX-5, using an additional grey square plug to connect your USB gadget directly to the back of the head unit, and the Commander Switch also works well with the M6 head unit. Basically you had solved everything? Congratulate.
If we look into the post #41, picture shows the back of the CX-5/M6 head unit (they appear look the same), as you said you are now connecting the USB 'directly' into the back of your M6 head unit, is that the white port that on the top roll?
After all we knew the CX-5 head unit doesn't support the M6 Commander Switch, and the M6 Bluetooth module doesn't support the CX-5 factory fitted USB, agree?(toetap)
I'm going to install the Commander Switch into my CX-5 real soon, since I can't find the factory harness, I doing it pin to pin connection, thank for sharing what you have gone thru

Last edited:
So you have now installed the M6 head unit into your CX-5, using an additional grey square plug to connect your USB gadget directly to the back of the head unit, and the Commander Switch also works well with the M6 head unit. Basically you had solved everything? Congratulate.
If we look into the post #41, picture shows the back of the CX-5/M6 head unit (they appear look the same), as you said you are now connecting the USB 'directly' into the back of your M6 head unit, is that the white port that on the top roll?
After all we knew the CX-5 head unit doesn't support the M6 Commander Switch, and the M6 Bluetooth module doesn't support the CX-5 factory fitted USB, agree?(toetap)
I'm going to install the Commander Switch into my CX-5 real soon, since I can't find the factory harness, I doing it pin to pin connection, thank for sharing what you have gone thru

I Think you may have misunderstood what i have said in my last post. I setup the Mazda 6 system in my CX5 but the only issues stopping me from using that Headunit is it takes a good 5/10 mins to read my ipod/iphone, Where as the Headunit from the CX5 because USB is connected directly to the back of it instead of going into the Bluetooth Module takes less than 10 seconds to activate and load. I Have Tried Swapping Bluetooth Modules but found them not to work with the other head unit and vice versa. I have indicated on the image from Post #41 what each connection is, though please note on the Mazda 6 USB is not used on the back of the Headunit.

radio1.JPG

I Think you may have misunderstood what i have said in my last post. I setup the Mazda 6 system in my CX5 but the only issues stopping me from using that Headunit is it takes a good 5/10 mins to read my ipod/iphone, Where as the Headunit from the CX5 because USB is connected directly to the back of it instead of going into the Bluetooth Module takes less than 10 seconds to activate and load. I Have Tried Swapping Bluetooth Modules but found them not to work with the other head unit and vice versa. I have indicated on the image from Post #41 what each connection is, though please note on the Mazda 6 USB is not used on the back of the Headunit.

View attachment 206458

Thank you, I got your story at the end. The USB issue started since you put the Mazda 6 head unit into your CX-5, if you don't use Mazda 6 head unit you couldn't get the commander switch to function.....so feel sorry for it.

Chris, From your photos I see two connectors. Am I correct in assuming the 8-pin connects to the back of the headunit (cx-5 or 6) and the other 16-pin connects to the commander? It looks like the 8-pin connector has 7 pins populated while the 16-pin has 10 pins populated. The three pins that are not connected to the headunit are the stripped wires?

You also mentioned USB, that is a separate cable correct? If I ignore the USB issues and cx-5 headunit for now, is the 8-pin connector (+power) the only one needed to communicate between the commander and the mazda 6 headunit? I'd like to understand the cabling in more detail to see how we can debug this. The commander is made by ALPS which doesn't say much in itself but I think it is likely a serial interface or some sort. But with 16 pins on the unit, I need more info to narrow things down.

Can you also post a photo of the back of the mazda 6 headunit?

Last edited:
Chris, From your photos I see two connectors. Am I correct in assuming the 8-pin connects to the back of the headunit (cx-5 or 6) and the other 16-pin connects to the commander? It looks like the 8-pin connector has 7 pins populated while the 16-pin has 10 pins populated. The three pins that are not connected to the headunit are the stripped wires?

You also mentioned USB, that is a separate cable correct? If I ignore the USB issues and cx-5 headunit for now, is the 8-pin connector (+power) the only one needed to communicate between the commander and the mazda 6 headunit? I'd like to understand the cabling in more detail to see how we can debug this. The commander is made by ALPS which doesn't say much in itself but I think it is likely a serial interface or some sort. But with 16 pins on the unit, I need more info to narrow things down.

Can you also post a photo of the back of the mazda 6 headunit?

The Pin Configuration is Correct the 3 stripped wires are Positive and Negative for the LED's inside the Switch and another is connected to a Postive power supply which makes the Switch Scroll, (It must be Grounded somewhere else.)

The Photo i posted in the Previous posts is the same on the CX5 and Mazda 6 Headunits.

Thanks.
Chris.

Back