Alternative to Dynamat

MarkVII88

:
2012 Mazda5 Sport AT
On a number of other forums, including some old-school hot-rod forums, I saw some great reviews for Peel & Seal Aluminum as a much less expensive, yet effective alternative to Dynamat for acoustic and sound deadening performance. This product can be found at Lowes and it's about $1.30/sq. ft. versus about $4.00/sq. ft. for Dynamat. It's really self-adhesive aluminum-backed flashing but if you follow the link below to the product, you'll see that at least two thirds of the product reviews are from people who used it in an automotive application.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_154017-8132...Search=peel+and+seal&productId=1018733&rpp=32

I haven't yet installed any of it, but I did disassemble the entire rear portion of my Mazda5. Removed the rear seat, disconnected the rear seat belts, popped all the interior trim panels out, and rolled the carpet forward. I'm planning on taking off a door panel to see how easily this could be applied in there too because I have read that lining the doors yields the best results. Pics of the work done so-far are below.

060613-SD01.jpg
060613-SD02.jpg
060613-SD03.jpg
060613-SD04.jpg

Last edited:
You know Ive read so many posts that say it works great. But peel and seal, not any other brand, other brands have had issues.

Just from looking at the other "similar products" on the shelf at Lowes, it's clear that Peel & Seal is a better product. It's much thicker than other types and it's got the shiny aluminum backing that adds strength.

My understanding is that the peel & stick stuff can smell since it is asphalt based. I paid a bit more for Fat-Mat extreme - the cheapest totally butyl based that I could find.

My understanding is that there is a difference between sound deadening and sound proofing. You use the sticky stuff with a metal backing to reduce vibration (deadening). The only thing that can really reduce nose levels is mass loaded vinyl & foam to decouple it from the body - which adds weight to your car.

I was worried about that too, but none of the automotive reviews for Peel & Seal mention a bad or long-lived asphalt smell. And none of the other forums where I first found out about this product mentioned anything about regrets based on smell. There are plenty of other similar products on the market for just this purpose that are also asphalt based. I'm hoping that any smell is short-lived.

My understanding is that the peel & stick stuff can smell since it is asphalt based. I paid a bit more for Fat-Mat extreme - the cheapest totally butyl based that I could find.

My understanding is that there is a difference between sound deadening and sound proofing. You use the sticky stuff with a metal backing to reduce vibration (deadening). The only thing that can really reduce nose levels is mass loaded vinyl & foam to decouple it from the body - which adds weight to your car.

I finished the installation of the Peel & Seal in the rear of the Mazda5 this weekend. I did the entire rear of the vehicle...floor, wheel wells, rear hatch. Overall the project went well, but it took a bit longer than I thought it would. Once I put a few miles on it, now that it's all buttoned-up, I'll include information about sound deadening/vibration improvements.

060913-SD05.jpg
060913-SD06.jpg
060913-SD07.jpg
060913-SD08.jpg
060913-SD09.jpg

Peal & Seal is good stuff. Downside is its only 8" wide. ITs NOT at Home Depot - Lowes only. Generic crap is sold at the local HD.

Peal & Seal is good stuff. Downside is its only 8" wide. ITs NOT at Home Depot - Lowes only. Generic crap is sold at the local HD.
I'm thinking of giving this stuff a try on a few isolated places. Can you give us an update on how it held up so far and if there's odor? Also, what exactly does the package look like?

There has not been any smell at all beyond the first few days, even when it was in the 90s for a week straight here in Vermont this summer. I think the sound deadening performance has been noticeable but the improvement isn't earth-shattering. I think that if I was to try running a more powerful stereo and a subwoofer, then I'd really see the benefits. This was more of a fun and interesting project for me than anything and, given the time and effort required, it probably wasn't really worth it. Good thing the Peel and Seal isn't expensive.

I finished the installation of the Peel & Seal in the rear of the Mazda5 this weekend. I did the entire rear of the vehicle...floor, wheel wells, rear hatch. Overall the project went well, but it took a bit longer than I thought it would. Once I put a few miles on it, now that it's all buttoned-up, I'll include information about sound deadening/vibration improvements.

View attachment 202889
View attachment 202890
View attachment 202891
View attachment 202892
View attachment 202893

Did you find your 2012 to be noisy? I have just got my new model 5 (built late 2010) and I find it pretty refined. Quieter than my 2008 Civic. I thought it was only the 2005-2010 5's that were a bit noisy at speed?

I don't think my 2012 is noisy. We also have a 2008 and I don't think that's particularly noisy either. But, when I once took a ride in the third row of the 2008 I was surprised how noisy it was back there compared to the front seat. Like I said, the Peel and Seal was more of a fun project for me than anything else.

kw_da:
What about your sound proofing with Fat-Mat extreme? Did it provide the sound change you expected? How much did you install in your mz5?
Sorry for all these questions, but I have a 2008 and I am working on getting it quiet for my wife.
As stated in a different post, I cannot find a car to replace this car with without paying way more and getting less of a driving experience.
Thanks for sharing

Back