Chrome Door Handles

ehelp

:
Mazda, CX-9, Sports
I have a Black CX-9 Sports and the wife (who drives it most) wants me to install the chrome door handles that are made of plastic and install with 3m tape.

Has anyone done this and do they stick for any sufficiant amount of time ... Any suggestions would be greatly apreciated ...

Thanks ...

Update ... Well I went ahead and did it .. check out the before and the after ...

Attachments

• cx-9-(8).jpg
    cx-9-(8).jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 593
  • cx-9 (3).jpg
    cx-9 (3).jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 544
Last edited:
The Chrome door handles look like the factory ones - not sure about the chrome pillars though.

How well do they stick ?

Is there any gaps between the new handles and the original handles that will allow dirt / grime to build up ?

Cheers

The pillars help to keep the stains that occur on the pillars with the closing of the doors with sweaty hands ... As for the handles, there is no gap however, there is a smal ridge between the handle and the chrome cap that routine washing of the car would take care off. The glue is very strong, however, I live in a very hot climate area and will see what happens in the 110 degree heat of summer. Meanwhile, the wife is happy ... :)

The pillars help to keep the stains that occur on the pillars with the closing of the doors with sweaty hands ... As for the handles, there is no gap however, there is a smal ridge between the handle and the chrome cap that routine washing of the car would take care off. The glue is very strong, however, I live in a very hot climate area and will see what happens in the 110 degree heat of summer. Meanwhile, the wife is happy ... :)

I had an '08 CX9 GT and added the chrome pillar posts...all 8 pieces. The posts fit neatly and held firmly with the 3m tape and along with the rest of the chrome on the vehicle, really made the ride stand out. Can't comment on the door handles as they came pre-chromed from the factory.

if your wife wants chrome? you better give it to her.

Very subtle!(wink)

I bought the chrome pillar posts for a very good price on eBay.
However, my entire family (wife+kids) are all against me putting them on!
Now I am stuck with a set of SES chrome pillar posts sitting in my garage.

Update ... Many car washes later, the pillars and handles are holding VERY strong .. In fact, I added a strip of chrome around the side mirrors, (btw, it helped to take away the vibrating after 50) and a small strip along the empty plate of the fog lighst and at the bottom of the doors.
(check picture in #2 post)

Last edited:
nice one im thinking of doing the same not sure of the pillar yet, im thinking of the chrome window vent too, anybody done that yet?

Update ... Many car washes later, the pillars and handles are holding VERY strong .. In fact, I added a strip of chrome around the side mirrors, (btw, it helped to take away the vibrating after 50) and a small strip along the empty plate of the fog lighst and at the bottom of the doors.
(check picture in #2 post)

Great job. How did you do the strip around fog lights plate and doors? Not sure if I will go that far, but mirrors - is it the same strip you used for other things?

mainard1, if you do the window vent, see if you can post a picture ...

Justfitme, I used 1/4 inch of flexible chrome plastic trim that are made to withstand all weather elements and I carefully cut two pieces and matched them at each end, then added a few extra drops of plastic glue to each end. For the mirrors i used the 5/8 inch chrome plastic and tapered them to meet at the back end of the mirror.

I just got my door handles from autoanything.com SES is the brand.
Keyhole diameter is twice bigger than needed. It has one strip of double-sided tape inside each piece which is obviously not enough to seal around handles. They made from plastic and it looks obvious. For $79 I would expect much more quality.

I will return them,

Any alternative?

Thanks. Once I will get my money back (yes - 79 dollars. I was thinking more money-better product) I will login to ebay.

Update ... Well I went ahead and did it .. check out the before and the after ...
Nicely done. I added chrome molding the morning after I bought the car, also added a thin 1/8 strip around side mirrors, It looks great on Black. Where did you get the pillars?
Thanks.

Attachments

• Mazda Rear.jpg
    Mazda Rear.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 221
  • Mazda Front.jpg
    Mazda Front.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Looks good, nice to have the GT with all the chrome already on it, specially the fog lights... I got my pillars on ebay

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Look for a seller who has the pillars with the Outside Beveled Edge, otherwise they will be Sharp Edges and I had a heck of time trying to smooth them out ... Also, do not go for the 8 piece, looks better with just the 6 piece ...

Post picture if you go for it ...

Looks good, nice to have the GT with all the chrome already on it, specially the fog lights... I got my pillars on ebay

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Look for a seller who has the pillars with the Outside Beveled Edge, otherwise they will be Sharp Edges and I had a heck of time trying to smooth them out ... Also, do not go for the 8 piece, looks better with just the 6 piece ...

Post picture if you go for it ...
Thanks for the advise on the bevel. I already ordered them this morning, so we will see what comes in the mail. Cheap enough, that I will toss them as "an experiment" if there not the good ones. I totally agree that the 6 piece looks better than the 8. Thanks for the help.
Attached is a picture, cost me $38 including shipping.

Attachments

• Pillar.gif
    Pillar.gif
    24.9 KB · Views: 200
I too originally got the cheap ones but after installing them, I used a soft cloth to rub and rub and rub the edges until they became smooth to the touch ... So far 7 months of cold rainy and snowy days and they are still holding very good and tight ...

If you like the chrome pillar posts, make sure you get the SES ones.
SES ones have the beveled edges. Great quality, too.

Back