Modding the wife's car

I like DIY custom mods. If it can be done for cheaper and is just as effective, why not??

That's 'cause you don't get out much!

I was referring to this forum, and you sticking to the 6 section.

Finally got the rear flares installed today, the second set was better than the first although one piece of hardware was missing. I was planning on sending the extra set back in spite of them telling me I could keep them, but after finding that I changed my mind. Pictures will come when the car is clean.

I also changed the oil/filter and the transmission and differential oils, since I didn't know when they were done last. I still haven't tried installing the fuel pump again, and I really need to get the AP installed so I can get the tune done. It'll have to be after next week as I have to go to Dubai for a meeting.

Well she's dirty, but here's a picture of the final external mods. I haven't forgotten about getting a picture of the Pettit volume knob, just have to remember one evening when it is darker so it will show up.

At this point I have to install the AP, fuel pump and that will be it for new parts. I am going to fiddle with the coilovers to see if I can relax the spring tension, if so they will go back on and I will sell the D-Specs and RB springs.

Attachments

• 001b.jpg
    001b.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 206
I had to take the Ennios off the Speed due to rubbing in the back, I can't afford to get a roller right now and didn't want to tear the lips up. The wife said she wanted these on her car and the Bridgestones are getting worn so I figured why not?

The second picture is of the radio volume knob lit up (finally!), kind of hard to see but if you look the three small holes at the tip of the apexes are red.

Attachments

• 002b.jpg
    002b.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 216
  • 004a.jpg
    004a.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 207
Finally got around to flashing the ECU with the AP (been spending all my time on the Miata). Now I have to do the two drive cycles, datalog and send off for the updated flash.

Nice looking car. I really like your appearance mods. They compliment the car...tasteful and nothing over the top.

My wife will let me mod her car when Paris Hilton lectures at a Mensa convention. It's an Avalon and not really prone to modding anyway.

Thanks. She really likes it and the compliments she has gotten cements that I know what I am doing!

Took the datalogs yesterday and sent them off. Also adjusted the D-Specs from full soft to 4.5 turns from full hard. That cured the wiggliness I was feeling in the rear.

Been a while I know. Finally got my hands on a Mazdaspeed front strut brace, that's now sitting at home awaiting my return for installation. Also found out my datalog submission for the AP got shuffled for some reason so I am still waiting on the next flash from MM. Not a biggie since I won't be home to install it until March some time.

Been a while I know. Finally got my hands on a Mazdaspeed front strut brace, that's now sitting at home awaiting my return for installation.....
Curious, I've got one too. What do the braces for the 8s look like? Do you have a picture of yours?

No pictures as I am many, many miles away. I can offer a link to one: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I have never seen one for an RX-7, didn't know they made them (but not really surprised given the longer run of the third gens overseas). I have a front strut bar for my first gen that I bought off CP Racing before they went defunct, there aren't many choices out there for the older cars.

Ok, I've kind of forgotten about this, although I haven't done much since the beginning of the year. I did get the Mazdaspeed front brace installed, the brake pedal feels nice and firm with the master cylinder brace on it engaged. Today I received a replacement battery cover, the original one has some broken tabs (I presume someone tried taking it off wrong).

Good work. What exactly did you ask for in HD for the lip? I want to try it out on my 8.

Edit: Thermwell Products 2-1/4 in. x 16 ft. Rubber Garage Door Bottom Seal

Last edited:
Back