What have you done to your Miata today?

A pic I took with a fellow Miata owner:

DSC_0014.jpg

God, I need a hardtop. :(

I don't know what pads are on the car, probably just wallyworld specials or something cheap. They don't even have that cut out line/vent in the middle of the pad like others I've seen. I'm not sure if normal Miata pads have that because of the size or what. I'm trying to not put any money into this car, just maintain it. My plans are to sell it later and get a nicer one with no rust, but things like pads and rotors I can swap to the future car, so that looks like they'll be on the list. I'd like to get SS brake lines, but that doesn't seem like something I'd be able to retrieve later, so I may just try the ziptie mod.

Thanks for the input!

Me and the missus just came up with a half-assed plan to go to the SCCA Solo National Championships next year. We'll put together another car for this endeavor and see how it runs during the course of the local season and then decide how badly we're going to get stomped on by the pros if we choose to tow the thing out to Lincoln next September.

We'll start with a box-stock '93 base model. It's a complete stripper car, no A/C, no P/S, no power anything. Even had steel wheels when we bought it last year. 125,000 miles of use and abuse. We've done the timing belt/water pump/seals up front, and next is a new clutch/seals in back.

Suspension will come from Fatcat Motorsports, who'll build us a custom-valved set of Bilstein coilovers. I think we've settled on 650 lb springs up front and 425 in back. We'll put a big tubular Racing Beat sway bar up front and throw the rear bar away. Racing Beat intake and some sort of header will go under the hood with exhaust and high-flow cat from Flyin Miata. Not sure if we'll go with a racing seat or not yet, and we don't have any plans on tweaking the ECU as we're not interested in spending money experimenting with that kind of stuff. Besides, the car will still be seeing plenty of work-and-back duty during the week so we can't go too crazy with the tune.

We hope to have the clutch done and the suspension installed by mid-October so we can get the car on course for a couple of late-season events to get some idea of what we're dealing with. Over the winter we'll fine-tune the suspension install and send the car off for corner-balancing and an alignment. We'll get paint on it at some point (thinking white/grey/green), some fresh rubber (Toyo R1R), and find a test & tune day to get it even closer to right. We've got a decent STS Miata here already (my '90) and it'll be interesting to see how the two cars stack up to each other when all is said and done. And if it works out, we'll find a trailer to borrow and make hotel reservations for Lincoln in September.

It's so crazy it just might work.

The car as it sits now is below. This weekend it gets a new top to start things off. After 18 years of neglect I think it's going to be shocked at how much time, effort, and parts we're going to be throwing at it over the next few months.

100915-01.jpg

Ordered some much needed parts for the Miata. Got both shifter boots, leather top boot, shifter bushing, and clutch/brake pedal rubber pads. Also gonna order some NGK replacement wires here soon, then hopefully I can get the passenger power window regulator fixed and then get tint done.

nice little addition to your mazda family.

today I lowered the front coils a tad since I realized the rears were slightly higher than the front

Today I realized my car was _my_ car. Yes I'm getting rotas. Yea they may look played out but I'm doing a size and fitment never tried before at a height no ones tried before. I think my vision for the car is solid so I'm going for it

today i realized my car was _my_ car. Yes i'm getting rotas. Yea they may look played out but i'm doing a size and fitment never tried before at a height no ones tried before. I think my vision for the car is solid so i'm going for it

4x4?

After her morning wash, stickerectomy (from under the hood) and general once-over. THe white wheels are kind of growing on me, but I will probably get them powdercoated differently next time home (I do like the style). Found the tire pressures way too high and uneven, wiper arms on the wrong side (they are marked DL and P, so not sure what was up with that), and checked her over with the flush of desire dissipated. Found a couple of things that I'll have to address but overall I am very happy with it. Sounds great, nice power (have to remember not to get on it hard in a low gear with the revs up turning a corner. Can you say oversteer?!).001a.jpg002a.jpg

What roll bar is that? never seen one that doesn't cross.

car looks awesome. that color+white wheels=amaz za za zing

Last edited:
It's a basic Hard Dog, not sure of the exact name as I haven't really gone through the papers I have yet.

Back