Clutch help

owenwes

#292 2003.5 MSP
:
Mazda Speed Protege 2003.5 Mettalic
Hey guys, im changing my clutch myself for the first time and im having trouble removing my tranny from the engine. My question is does it mater if the tranny is in gear because the how to doesn't say anything about it. Also any tips on removing the tranny from the engine?

SHOULDNT MATTER,the engine will dip to the driverside and should be able to pull out, dude you need help this thing is kinda heavy you dont want to drop it on the sensors

IM WITH MIMUS THAT thing will want sacrificial blood before she pops..lol first time for me took a month to take out and put in the second 3 days there will be a third I need the stage 1 clutch with light flywheel hopefully less 5 hours.

Not sure what to tell you, man. I pulled mine at ~105k miles, and as soon as the bolts were all out, it slid out smooth as butter. One thing that helps is to have two people. You need to be supporting the weight as you slide it out or friction will tend to hold onto the input shaft and prevent it from sliding out smoothly.

Alright, thanks guys, im going to try again today, hopefully it being in gear won't matter. Id put it into neutral but i have all the shift linkages off.

Okay, im still having problems taking my tranny off.I even sprayed penetrating solvent between the seal to try and break it. The top portion of the tranny is away from the engine a tad but the bootom is still jammed. Does any one know if I have to take these bolts off the "Driverside axle extension" for any reason?

Attachments

• downsized_0604001455.jpg
    downsized_0604001455.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 294
Okay, I got it, Thanks guys. Haha i went throught the trouble of pretty much disassembling the passenger side wheel assembly but its okay.

Okay, I got it, Thanks guys. Haha i went throught the trouble of pretty much disassembling the passenger side wheel assembly but its okay.

yeah. i had trouble getting it back on with that bolted on till i took it off

Unless you really know what you're doing, it's usually faster and easier to disassemble more. I always pull both axles completely as a matter of course, just because it's hard enough to maneuver a transmission in and out of a car without having to worry about axles at the same time.

Unless you really know what you're doing, it's usually faster and easier to disassemble more. I always pull both axles completely as a matter of course, just because it's hard enough to maneuver a transmission in and out of a car without having to worry about axles at the same time.

i agree fully. taking out both axels is almost a must. u dont want anything in the way, its already a b**** enough as it is.

did you loosen the starter bolts?

i took the cross member, and that rear cross member out, took noth axles out completely including intermediate shaft.....that made it a ton easier to get to everything

Back