stock tires on 18x8 +48 rota torques

sPEEdxXx

:
2008 Mazdaspeed 3
hey guys i dunno much about cars (huh) and i just got my torques in hyperblack 18x8 +48 on my MGM dropped on pro kit. no tires yet tho.. im wondering if i could use my stock tires for it without having any issues.... if not what tire specs should i get.. thanks!

update: got the rims installed last wednesday. hopefully there's no more snow storm in jersey..here's what it looks like..

Attachments

• ms3torque.jpg
    ms3torque.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 194
  • ms3torque2.jpg
    ms3torque2.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 193
  • ms3torque3.jpg
    ms3torque3.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
235/40 would be your best bet and would keep you at almost the same diameter as stock.

Got any pics of your car with the pro kit?

i see but do you know if stock tires would be stretched that badly if i decide to put it on?

Pics are from a year ago. after my buddy installed the pro kit..

Attachments

• ms3.jpg
    ms3.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 225
  • ms3 3.jpg
    ms3 3.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 190
  • ms3 2.jpg
    ms3 2.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 208
i see but do you know if stock tires would be stretched that badly if i decide to put it on?

Pics are from a year ago. after my buddy installed the pro kit..

I was originally going with the same wheels as you and I spoke to a rep at Rota, Discounttire, and Wheeldude and they all confirmed the stock tires will work. They will stretch a little bit, but not enough to cause a problem. I'm assuming your stock tire size are the same as the second gen? 225/40/18

Btw, that drop looks really nice. Did you go with the full prokit or just the springs? I was going with 1st gen H&Rs on mine but I may look into the prokit.

thanks man.. i just got the springs to make it look less like a wagon/family car! lol.. not really looking to spend much for it. and yeah i think gen1 tire specs are 215/45 so im kinda hesitant.

thanks man.. i just got the springs to make it look less like a wagon/family car! lol.. not really looking to spend much for it. and yeah i think gen1 tire specs are 215/45 so im kinda hesitant.

Honestly, I'd call up DiscountTire in the morning and explain the situation. They will tell you for sure what sort of problems if any you'll have. Good luck and keep us posted.

The stock 215-45's will work fine, in fact I ran them all summer last year..the biggest problem is no rim protection so stay away from the curbs! They will have a nice stretch but its not out of spec for the tire.... 235-40 is the perfect tire for your set up tho.

Last edited:
The stock 215-45's will work fine, in fact I ran them all summer last year..the biggest problem is no rim protection so stay away from the curbs! They will have a nice stretch but its not out of spec for the tire.... 235-40 is the perfect tire for your set up tho.

yes and yes.

thanks for all the info.. I'll try to get the stock tires mounted next week if it stops snowing in jersey! and wait till the tires are worn out then i'll def look into getting 235/40 tires. i'd say i still have at least until the end of summer before my stock tires run out of thread.. enough time for me to save up. hopefully. I'll keep ya'll posted when i get the wheels on.

Car looks great. Probably because it's the same color as mine ;). I was thinking of doing the pro-kit as well and I think you just sold me on it. My Work Emotion Xt-7's go on as soon as the snow is gone around here. Can't wait.

Car looks great. Probably because it's the same color as mine ;). I was thinking of doing the pro-kit as well and I think you just sold me on it. My Work Emotion Xt-7's go on as soon as the snow is gone around here. Can't wait.

I used to have the pro-kit on my 06 rsx type-s (stolen) and i loved it so i thought i might as well put it on my ms3.... maaan i love the xt-7's! but of course i can only afford some work cr-kai's knock off! LOL.. fcuk the snowwww..

I used to have the pro-kit on my 06 rsx type-s (stolen) and i loved it so i thought i might as well put it on my ms3.... maaan i love the xt-7's! but of course i can only afford some work cr-kai's knock off! LOL.. fcuk the snowwww..

Why not just save up and get the real Work CR-Kais? They are machined very well and will last compared to a set of knock-offs which may or may not last and have a lower quality in machining. I had a set on my last car (350z) and while they were indeed expensive, they were worth every penny IMHO.

Why not just save up and get the real Work CR-Kais? They are machined very well and will last compared to a set of knock-offs which may or may not last and have a lower quality in machining. I had a set on my last car (350z) and while they were indeed expensive, they were worth every penny IMHO.

Trueee.. i couldve done that but roads in new jersey specially where i live are not rim-friendly. So even if i save up and buy works i will end up getting it fcked up on pot holes. and plus i got the torques used but in nearly perfect condition for $450.

Trueee.. i couldve done that but roads in new jersey specially where i live are not rim-friendly. So even if i save up and buy works i will end up getting it fcked up on pot holes. and plus i got the torques used but in nearly perfect condition for $450.

Good point. Rotas are pretty decent, I've had a few sets in the past with no problems, even hitting potholes.

Word of caution - many members are reporting that they rub with 235/40's on a drop. Your wheels would sit 4.5 mm closer to the fender as well. After you wear through your stockers, my recommendation would be to do 225/40 or 225/45 if you want a bit more protection against the Jersey roads. 225/45 might rub a little, but as long as you haven't cut your bump stops you "should" be OK.

Word of caution - many members are reporting that they rub with 235/40's on a drop. Your wheels would sit 4.5 mm closer to the fender as well. After you wear through your stockers, my recommendation would be to do 225/40 or 225/45 if you want a bit more protection against the Jersey roads. 225/45 might rub a little, but as long as you haven't cut your bump stops you "should" be OK.

I'm moving from stock 2010 wheels to 18x8 +46 wheels and plan to keep the stock 225/40/18s on it. They may stretch a tiny bit, but not enough to cause a problem. 235/40/18s are out of the question for me as well as I'm planning to drop in the somewhat near future.

Ride stock for now and do your homework. Measure twice, cut once! (thumb)

As long as he doesn't go with something like a Falken Azenis RT-615 or Dunlop Direzza etc... 235-40 should be fine especially in an all season tire, just get the specs of the tire from the manufacturers web site and check the section and tread widths.

That's what i had in mind at first 225/40 or 45 but i kinda like the idea of having a wider tire but not the hassle of rubbing/rolling fenders.. i would definitely look into that tire specs with either 40 or 45 if 235's are a bit pushy with the drop.. but thanks for the input..

Back