2010 sunroof hitting thule roof rack

maz5010

Well i picked up a new 2010 M5, very happy with it. Already installed Pioneer nav and 10" with amp in the wheel well. Very nice and clean. Will post pics shortly.

My real problem is that I ordered from auto anything a Thule Mobi basket, and the additional roof rack hardware to install.

The Sunroof about 75% open is now hitting the Thule Cross bars and basket. has anyone had any experience installing the correct roof mounting brackets? I may have to purchase the OEM if they are a few inches taller. thanks for you help(hand)

Welcome,
Ive been wondering about this. Its a shame Mazda decided to do the slide up and out sunroof as opposed to the slide in to the headliner option. We have a sport without sunroof and have been looking around to get one installed.

One thing I did notice is that ALL the roof racks Ive seen for the 5 sit pretty high off the roof which bugs me but oh well.

And it sounds like you have done some cool mods already. Ill be waiting for the pics!

From what I have seen - if you have (and use) a sunroof, you need Mazda's rack. Thule's is too low. What is fun to know, Thule makes Mazda's rack's.

If you wish to change rack's, PM me - depending on price, I might be interested.

Thanks for the offer, i actually ordered a new OEM roof rack for $296.
I'm returning the INO Rack which fits, and looks good, but doesn't work for me do to the sunroof not opening.

I've attached a few photos of my audio setup.

Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT Navigation Receiver - newest one, really sweet
replaced all speakers
amps located in spare tire well along with 10" woofer

the install was professionally done at AUDIO INTERVENTION in Bonita Springs Florida. I saw a few photos of woofers taking up cargo space, but for me i need the space and did not want to comprise. I Also had the doors and tailgate Dynomated.

Attachments

• IMG_6049.JPG
    IMG_6049.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_6042.JPG
    IMG_6042.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_6046.JPG
    IMG_6046.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_6044.JPG
    IMG_6044.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_6051-3.JPG
    IMG_6051-3.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
Its a shame Mazda decided to do the slide up and out sunroof as opposed to the slide in to the headliner option.
not really, a slide in one would have compromised interior headroom too much. an up and out sunroof is cheaper and simpler.
doesn't matter to me either way, I'm glad mine doesn't have one. I found that any time I've had one, I never really used it.

Last edited:
I have the Thule and have the same problem. Doesnt bother me as we never open it anyway, just crack it for some circulation. I worry about the weight tolerances on my cross bars so the Thule will stay.

I have the Thule and have the same problem. Doesnt bother me as we never open it anyway, just crack it for some circulation. I worry about the weight tolerances on my cross bars so the Thule will stay.

I too find the mazda OEM rack too high.

Maybe there a way to adjust the open limit of the moon roof?
(so it will open and stop just before hitting the rack. )
I checked the workshop manual. There is no 'limit' switch at the end of travel.. There is only a 'moon roof setup' wherein the the roof closes, then opens all the way and then closes again. So I figured it must be using some sort of memory. i.e. count the pulses for max open during the setup.

I will check it out after winter. Too risky to end up with an open roof..
lolz.

"Its a shame Mazda decided to do the slide up and out sunroof as opposed to the slide in to the headliner option. "

I rather have more head room inside the car. Also, the slide in sunroof always bring all kind of dust and dirty into the space between the roof and headliner... (boom02)

When I have nothing on the rack (bike holders, box) the sunroof doesnt rub anything. The rack sure is handy though. I have moved many a thing that wouldnt fit in the car on top of the car.

No sunroof on mine, as they don't offer sunroof w/ MT in the US. I just hauled my daughtrer's and my xc skis up there this morning, it's great!

Been wanting to ask someone who'd installed this very Pioneer unit a) how they liked it, b) did you add the Sirius radio component and are you satisfied with it's operation, and c) which, if any, of the factory audio controls and displays are lost? I'm assuming the steering wheel audio controls are still useful and control the AVIC just fine?

anyone had experience with the mazda 5 roof rack? heard they create too much noise and they're too close together?

i'm curious about this too. one advantage of the mazda rack is that it fits into slots that are in the rain gutters. it is a clean system. yakima and thule racks would (i think) involve a clip system that would likely need to clamp onto the frame of the car, potentially rubbing paint off etc....
but maybe it does sit too high? i just looked at one on a 5 i saw on the street but did not think about height. i was just seeing how it connects.

The attachment points in the roof are called "fixpoints", and they're becoming increasingly common on all sorts of cars. Thule and Yakima both sell racks for the 5 that use the fixpoints - you have to make sure you *get* that version, but if you don't like the OEM rack, you can get either the Thule or Yakima and use the fixpoints.

So does the sunroof at full open hit the oem thule/mazda rack base crossbars?
i have a basket from my old passat wagon i want to put on the oem rack.

I should have the OEM mazda/thule roof rack waiting on the doorstep when i get home today....i ordered it from Med Center Mazda and they shipped it out the same day. I wanted the stock towers because hey, they are a bit high, but keep it all functional.Tomorrow the Thule 518 Echelon bike mounts should be here. They are really aerodynamic and we will see what kind of noise issues i get. I already have a 44" Thule Fairing ready to go. I am curious as to how the fairing is going to sit relative to the sunroof....pictures to follow.

Installed the OEM mazda rack and checked the sunroof operation. No problem, sunroof clears it. Actually, the rack is kind of tall, but very clean in appearance. Bike carriers should be here today....

It isnt necesarily the "rack" that hits the sunroof, it is whatever is on the rack, like a bike carrier or box. Once you have those up check to see if they hit.

Back