eBay headers?

bermankahns

:
2003 Midnight Blue Protege5
has anyone tried them or know the quality of the welds? I've got the mod bug and want something performance for under $100, but dont want to throw cash down the drain. Any CONSTRUCTIVE input would be great (if you say they suck, please say why) also if you have any other suggestions that would be great too.
thanks

There is a OBX header in the FS section. That would be a better buy !!!

I bought one of the first obx's and mine blew out at the collector. Trust me if you are going to get a header spend the money and get a good one. The obx's now are good to go.

i got one off ebay for 120 shipped but shipping was like 35 bucks lol

****Fitment was horrible, i had to use an engine hoist to get it to fit cuz the egr bung was so far off

if u can buy the obx do it, cuz the fitment on this was horrendous

The eBay Header is not that great I just took mine off and trying to find a replacement because OBX Headers suck. The AWR racing and any others are way better.

Hmm..

Okay, OBX is "easiest" to buy, but not the best? I have read lots of threads about that 4-1 vs 4-2-1 fights here... But still people buy OBX 'cos it's best for that money.

Could some other header be used? Foe example: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) MX-6 header? MX has also FS-engines and has 4-2-1 headers, and even cheaper...

Or is there just something total different?

Fitment will be different with e MX-6 or Probe header, IIRC.

4-2-1 provides better gains typically but they are also much more expensive. If you have the money, get the AWR or Autoexe 4-2-1 header. If not, get the OBX. OBX is a fine header, nothing special but you will notice a gain just from losing the restrictions of the primary cat.

i think its not really a big deal if u get a 4-2-1 instead of a 4-1 because honestly your going to gain like 2whp and 2wtq?
OBX is the best bang for your buck since the AWR is ridiculusly hard to find and the Autoexe is almost a grand

I had the obx on my 2.0 it worked great, no fitment or quality issues. The AWR is a better design due to its long tubes but generally 4-1 yeilds the best gains. The AWR is nice but $$$$.

I had the obx on my 2.0 it worked great, no fitment or quality issues. The AWR is a better design due to its long tubes but generally 4-1 yeilds the best gains. The AWR is nice but $$$$.

4-1 does not usually give best gains. At least for the FS-DE.

4-1 moves power higher in power band. You lose some low-end torque for higher rpm hp.

4-2-1 you gain power throughout the entire power band.

Actually, the Thunder header that I sell (or used to sell...nobody wants to pay $300
for a header any more) was probably the next best thing to the AWR...

Attachments

• Actual2.0Hdr.jpg
    Actual2.0Hdr.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 196
  • 2.0HeaderInstalled.jpg
    2.0HeaderInstalled.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 254
Actually, the Thunder header that I sell (or used to sell...nobody wants to pay $300
for a header any more) was probably the next best thing to the AWR...

Ya, its a nice header, wish you still got them. I woulda got that instead of the OBX. But as you said, its the NEXT best to AWR. The AWR 4-2-1 is still better...

4-1 does not usually give best gains. At least for the FS-DE.

4-1 moves power higher in power band. You lose some low-end torque for higher rpm hp.

4-2-1 you gain power throughout the entire power band.

Its not quite as simple as what you stated, primary length, diameter, shape etc all make a difference. I did say the AWR was the best, its the only one that offers long primaries. If 4-2-1 was the best then why would anyone sell or buy anything else? Its all a compromise what I meant was that in an all motor build where generally its all about revs, and moving air 4-1 is usually your best bet. However the OBX doesnt have long enough primaries to work as well as the AWR. The OBX however does give nice gains and really smooths out the powerband, great bang for your buck.

Its not quite as simple as what you stated, primary length, diameter, shape etc all make a difference. I did say the AWR was the best, its the only one that offers long primaries. If 4-2-1 was the best then why would anyone sell or buy anything else? Its all a compromise what I meant was that in an all motor build where generally its all about revs, and moving air 4-1 is usually your best bet. However the OBX doesnt have long enough primaries to work as well as the AWR. The OBX however does give nice gains and really smooths out the powerband, great bang for your buck.

You answered your own question. Best performance is not the only consideration when making a purchase.

Although you are right, runner length and piping diameter and other such things do contribute to the performance of a header. However, I'm only speaking of headers for the FS-DE. And in this sample of headers, the AWR 4-2-1 is the best. 4-2-1 is the better design for this motor.

Fitment will be different with e MX-6 or Probe header, IIRC.

Atleast header gasket is same (partnr. FS01-13-460A), EGR-pipe is different. So... Maybe it would fit, or could there be smoething different fitment problems?

Back