Rattling in front driver side?

Hey! I have been reading this forum since I got my P5 last year, but this is the first time I've actually posted! I drive an 02 yellow P5 =)

This has been happening for a couple months now but it seems to be getting worse. Whenever I go over bumps in the road I hear something in the front driver side rattling. I can't figure out what it is as I can't stick my ear in there when I'm driving! It doesn't happen if I'm driving on a smooth road, but once I hit bumps and there is any vibration I hear this rattle. It doesn't seem to cause any negative effects to the ride or handling, however if I press down on the driver side hood it is easier to push down than the passenger side, which leads be to suspect something with the shock.. but I am not all that knowledgeable about it. Has anyone else had this problem?

One other thing, it is just barely starting to rush in a couple spots. What can I do to mitigate this before the problem grows?

Short Bus Drivers UNITE!!

Attachments

• short bus 006.jpg
    short bus 006.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 121
  • short bus 003 edit.jpg
    short bus 003 edit.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 104
I have the same noise from the driver's front. It sounds like something has about 1/4 inch of play and rapidly clanks around.

i have the same sound in my P5, through searching on here I've found that the list of causes can be quite long. I think that it's the upper shock mount in mine personally.

Maybe an OG could chime in and help us Newbs out(bow)

i have it too, its the front link for me, not sure if it is for you guys, my mechanic told me, grab the front endlink from drivers side and try to move it, if it jiggles, problem, problem solved? mazdapartsonline, get both or 50 and change, and you will need the nuts too. get two of each, its recommended to replace both links at the same time
Front links - LC6234170B
Nut - 999401000

I'm hearing a noise when I turn every now and then and hit a bump...

I just did the following a month ago...

New wheel bearings
New tie-rod ends
New drivers-side 1/2 shaft
New covers for ball joints (with new grease)
Alignment

I think those covers have already failed, probably the installer (me) installed them incorrectly. I didn't have a press so I used the axle-nut sized socket and a hammer...

--subbing to see what everyone else finds out--

i have it too, its the front link for me, not sure if it is for you guys, my mechanic told me, grab the front endlink from drivers side and try to move it, if it jiggles, problem, problem solved? mazdapartsonline, get both or 50 and change, and you will need the nuts too. get two of each, its recommended to replace both links at the same time
Front links - LC6234170B
Nut - 999401000

Agreed - check your front swaybar links - there should no slop whatsoever at the connections.

Other than that, could you be more specific about the kind of noise? Swaybar links going bad usually make a clunk, but it may also just be a loose trim piece in your car or something loose under the hood as well.

I have the same noise from the driver's front. It sounds like something has about 1/4 inch of play and rapidly clanks around.

This is exactly the noise I have, so I guess its a relatively common problem. Just a rattling/clanking noise. I'm not sure if its in my head but I think I can feel it through the floorpan with my feet as it rattles.

I will take the tire off when I get a chance and take a good look at it.

I'm about to do Tokico spring/struts all around so I'll check everything then. I think it might be the swaybar moving up and down.

I have the same sort of problem on my car. I only really hear it accelerating and its a fast rattle coming from the engine somewhere...doesn't do it all the time....not a clue what it could be

OP- Endlinks are also what I suspect, but it could be some bushing somewhere as well...I would get underneath and grease some bushings...it may help, but replacement would be better. If you have a friendly mechanic he might be able to drive it and tell by the noise for free...

So I took off the tire and swapped it with the back one - no difference. While I had the tire off I jiggled everything I could see and I found nothing that could possibly make the noise! The endlinks looked fine to me and had no play. This is driving me crazy! I think it must be the strut but I'm still not sure because I can't replicate the noise unless I'm driving. I guess I will just have to replace it and hope that fixes it.

Last edited:
Back