additional bass speaker for 03 P5?

maxchao

I bought my P5 a month ago and there are something I can't find that I thought would be there...
I think I read it somewhere that 2003 P5 has an additional bass speaker in the spare tire location, is it true? I can't seem to find it in my laser blue 03 P5.
Also, does anyone know where the jack for the spare tire should be in the car? The stuff that make the spare tire functional when needed, should be a jack and a wrench I think.

Thanks

Josh

you have the sub in the spare location if it was sold with the option,if not,well you wont find it!!

for the jack,under the sub-floor of the trunk,on the passenger side,there should be a black plastic cover,you lift it,and it should be there...

Oh so it's an option, then maybe I don't have it. Does it include it with the 6CD changer package? I do have 6CD changer and sunroof...
Is that the place around the corner behind the tail light on the passenger side, you can reach it without lifting up the cargo tray? Yup it is empty there...Well, then, where can I buy the stuff?

Josh

Last edited:
I thought it was :

2003- get the roof racks, (i too have 2003 w/6disc/sunroof/roofracks)

2003.5 deleted the roof rack, added sub in the spare compartment. . .

--jason

For the mid-year refresh (03.5) it was std. Someone on here would probably sell you theirs, but I don't know how hard it would be to get all the wiring harness for it ?

So let me ask this, if yours came prewired, then how hard is it to put the sub in there? Is there a way that I can see if mine came prewired?

Josh

Driver side rear seat...Plastic cover that covers the pull down seat metal latch...Pull that sucker off and see if you have a platic wiring harness hiding back there...if not, it is exactly like wiring a conventional amp/sub system..Power, Ignintion, Left-rear, Right-rear speakers and a ground..I had to wire mine to work, and I really like it...Fills the sound out a lot, but don't get it if you want to 'bump"...It's not that powerful..

So let me ask this, if yours came prewired, then how hard is it to put the sub in there? Is there a way that I can see if mine came prewired?

Josh

Alright there we go, I found something in that location, please identify:
Wait, how do you get the photo to be inside the text? I guess it will appear at the bottom...
Is that the one? BTW, the third "screw" or whatever you call it to secure the cover is so hard to get out...
So now, what stuff do I need to buy to drop the sub in there?
I don't care about the earthquaking sound, I don't listen to music people in my age do anyway...Just want to complete the range of frequency...I'm more toward the balance side...

Attachments

• DSC00902.JPG
    DSC00902.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
OK one more, here is for the missing jack, does this photo looks weird? If so, tell me where I can buy another set of jack/wrench and all that for the spare tire...

Josh

Attachments

• DSC00904.JPG
    DSC00904.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 175
Junk yard is the best place to get a jack. I have the spare tire sub that came with Protege 5's. PM me if you are interested. It has the harness with it.

I thought it was :

2003- get the roof racks, (i too have 2003 w/6disc/sunroof/roofracks)

2003.5 deleted the roof rack, added sub in the spare compartment. . .

--jason
Mine is 06/03 prod date. It has racks, sub, single CD, no sunroof. That 2nd pic is where the jack would be. The handle would pop into the tray on the drivers side under carpeted floor over spare tire. Sub would be in the spare tire rim area & that 1st pic is not the wiring harness for the sub. That looks like the door pin wiring. The sub harness has more wires and is wrapped up in black.

The wiring harness should have at least 5 wires coming to it...It looks like that might be the harness for the door sensor...I've never actually seen the harness, cause mine didn't have it, only seen it in diagram and the subwoofer side of the harness.....It should have power, switched power, two speaker lines, and a ground wire...so 5 wires, not just 2-3...

I think I pulled out the wrong cover, Prototype5 was talking about the cover of the mental latch....
Well that cover extends all the way to the back, include the trunk light and all that...I can't seem to find a way to take it off...
Maybe I'll try again at day time...
It seems Action Jackson is the only one who has seen the prewired harness.
Maybe they really don't have it in there for 03.0 models?

Josh

BTW that little two wire connector is not connect to anything, it's not for the door switch, kinda odd...
Also, to find something in junkyard do I just google all their phone number and call them? they should have a list of their inventory right?

Josh

some junk yards know what they have and some will have you go out and look. I would call and see if they have any Protege's.

Alright there we go, I found something in that location, please identify:
Wait, how do you get the photo to be inside the text? I guess it will appear at the bottom...
Is that the one? BTW, the third "screw" or whatever you call it to secure the cover is so hard to get out...
So now, what stuff do I need to buy to drop the sub in there?
I don't care about the earthquaking sound, I don't listen to music people in my age do anyway...Just want to complete the range of frequency...I'm more toward the balance side...

It's been awhile since I popped open that cover.

Is that white connector actually connected to anything? That looks similar to my prewired setup.

Last edited:

Josh

It wasn't hard at all to install it. I'd suggest buying the sub with the wiring harness. I got mine off ebay brand new. Some people sell their OEM ones without the harness.

Here's the picture of the complete rear sub only package WITHOUT the floor risers/trunk organizer boxes.

You've got to raise the rear trunk floor about 2 inches so you lose out in some spacing.

You'll need those rear trunk organizers to help raise the floor, unless you like to use some thick styrofoam instead.

Attachments

• rear spare sub.jpg
    rear spare sub.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 731
No the connector is not connected to anything, two wires red and white. Can it be the signal or power? and so you only have to tap the others? I thought with prewiring it is a plug and play?

Josh

two wires = NOT prewired for the sub...You'll have to do all the wiring yourself, just like installing a amp/sub combo...

Back