New Rotary Engine 16X

^^ Good to know. I'm newbie to the RE technology, but is really cool.

Bordering thread hijacking, but given some of the analogies, I posted this in the Mazda5 area a few days back. The video has a short summary on how the "latest" Hydrogen RE Hybrid engine works in the Premacy

Yeah, not specific mentions about injection but, to my point, I'm sure if H2 becomes a more common fuel, we should see H2 variants for all the different RE engines (i.e. 16X) :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRpv0jrmP_o

Well, of course that infrastructure is not in place yet. Anyone see the movie "Who Killed The Electric Car"? Very interesting background into today's automotive technology and our future.

No boost. One of the major engineering tasks in developing the RENESIS was to make it NA while having the same output of the outgoing 13B twinturbo.

More info.

Attachments

• WHEELS.jpg
    WHEELS.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 6,019
"Work on a new rotary engine began in earnest last year. What Mazda calls the RENESIS 16X is 23 percent larger in displacement and 20 percent lighter, thanks to a switch from iron to aluminum for the three side housings. More eccentricity is aimed at shifting peak torque lower in the rev range. Direct fuel injection and additional displacement should boost output to 275HP or more."

- Automobile

it has direct injection injectors on the top, and it has regular injectors in the 'intake' ports as well?

Is the next Mazda Renesis rotary set to get direct-injection?

Last October, it seems that Mazda quietly filed a patent for a twin-spark, direct injection version of the automaker's iconic rotary engine. It's taken this long for anyone to actually notice application 20090101103, which appears to have been approved just last month, but it's still an interesting development in the ongoing saga of pistonless engine.

First developed and patented by German engineer Felix Wankel way back in the early 1950s, the rotary engine has always been able to make lots of power relative to its small size, but it has also proven extremely difficult to keep emissions and fuel consumption at acceptable levels. Adding direct injection may be one effective way to manage the fuel consumption issue, and it's long been assumed Mazda would go this route on the next version of its Renesis rotary.

Further, it seems the automaker is working to slightly change the dimensions of the rotor housing (increased displacement?) and the distance between the twin spark plugs, which may have desirable effects on the engine's tailpipe emissions. It's certainly no sure-thing that this engine is going into production, but it shows the Japanese automaker is intent on improving its rotary technology. Check out all seventeen diagrams in the gallery of the link below.

rotary_patent_diagram.jpg

Source:
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/05/22/is-the-next-mazda-renesis-rotary-set-to-get-direct-injection/

the engine is sweet and it seems they are rlly doing a great job as far as testing to make it a rlly strong power plant.
they should also bring back the cosmos with a ****** version of the engine :)

It's called "Cosmo". A 3 rotor is nice, however not a viable solution in todays ecological state. Simply would never happen.

Yeah I know. I mean like as in plural.

I think if they marketed specificly like a sports car and made it a limited edition car by only making a few that would be cool.

Last edited:
Back