MS6 Forged shortblock on its way!!

no, absolutely not. you cannot use standard injection naturally aspirated 2.3 blocks or cranks anymore than you can use the pistons and rods from them in these engines. the crankshafts and blocks are ordered from Mazda, part number specific to the Mazdaspeed6/3

Oh I'm sorry, I thought they were for the mazdaspeed6, not normal standard ones........ since according to the website they're sold under the mazdaspeed6 link with all the products......... should I PM you a link, or do you already know what I'm referring to?

si its the block stock or reinforeced(esp?) ?

it is a brand new block and crankshaft from the factory

Oh I'm sorry, I thought they were for the mazdaspeed6, not normal standard ones........ since according to the website they're sold under the mazdaspeed6 link with all the products......... should I PM you a link, or do you already know what I'm referring to?

i'm going to call cosworth and ask them for my own verification as to what truly works and doesn't work. thier own website and catalog makes no reference to the mazdaspeed3 or 6, so SU perhaps has a custom application listed from them or the Cosworth catalog/website is not up to date. i could see the cylinder block itself being usable here, but even that strikes me as a little off because the crankshafts are not the same bewteen the two engines.

the internals designed for your average duratec (pistons and rods) certainly will not work. aftermarket rods and pistons are the not the same between a mazdaspeed 2.3 and a regular 2.3 either. if that were the case i'd have had internals for these engines long ago rather than having to wait for them to be made. and as i said, the crankshafts are not the same between the two engines. basically i'd never put parts like this designed for the regular duratec into one of these engines. i have it on good authority that the DISI cylinder block, while being a FoMoCo stamping, is stronger than the standard 2.3 block and perhaps stronger than aftermarket equivalents.

i'm going off what i know is different at this point and will keep searching for answers.

Last edited:
i'm going to call cosworth and ask them for my own verification as to what truly works and doesn't work. thier own website and catalog makes no reference to the mazdaspeed3 or 6, so SU perhaps has a custom application listed from them or the Cosworth catalog/website is not up to date. i could see the cylinder block itself being usable here, but even that strikes me as a little off because the crankshafts are not the same bewteen the two engines.

the internals designed for your average duratec (pistons and rods) certainly will not work. aftermarket rods and pistons are the not the same between a mazdaspeed 2.3 and a regular 2.3 either. if that were the case i'd have had internals for these engines long ago rather than having to wait for them to be made. and as i said, the crankshafts are not the same between the two engines. basically i'd never put parts like this designed for the regular duratec into one of these engines. i have it on good authority that the DISI cylinder block, while being a FoMoCo stamping, is stronger than the standard 2.3 block and perhaps stronger than aftermarket equivalents.

i'm going off what i know is different at this point and will keep searching for answers.

Awesome, thanks man.........

Obviously you are going to have to copy and paste, and remove the space between the STREET and UNIT....... but if you check it out, you can see they say it's for the Mazda MZR, and that the applications are for the MS3, MS6, and CX-7....... I would definitely appreciate if you could confirm as to whether or not these would REALLY work....... also is there another company that makes connection rods yet for the cars? or is it only Cosworth at this time?

http://www.street unit.com/Cosworth_Big_Valve_Cylinder_Head_Mazda_MZR_p/yd8090.htm

http://www.street unit.com/Cosworth_Billet_Crankshaft_Mazda_MZR_p/yd0253.htm

http://www.street unit.com/Cosworth_A_Beam_Connecting_Rods_Mazda_MZR_p/kk3470.htm

Awesome, thanks man.........

Obviously you are going to have to copy and paste, and remove the space between the STREET and UNIT....... but if you check it out, you can see they say it's for the Mazda MZR, and that the applications are for the MS3, MS6, and CX-7....... I would definitely appreciate if you could confirm as to whether or not these would REALLY work....... also is there another company that makes connection rods yet for the cars? or is it only Cosworth at this time?

http://www.street unit.com/Cosworth_Big_Valve_Cylinder_Head_Mazda_MZR_p/yd8090.htm

http://www.street unit.com/Cosworth_Billet_Crankshaft_Mazda_MZR_p/yd0253.htm

http://www.street unit.com/Cosworth_A_Beam_Connecting_Rods_Mazda_MZR_p/kk3470.htm

its often forgotten, MZR is the engine code for every new mazda four cylinder out there, not just the DISI turbo. so when it says that parts "work on the MZR motor" that doesn't narrow the field down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_MZR_engine

like i said, if those rods up there are designed for the regular 2.3 focus/volvo/mazda3 and not for the DISI they are not going to work. some companies claim you can machine down the rods from a regular 2.3 and make them work. i prefer to stick with parts made for the engine.

pauter makes our connecting rods. i also would not go with an A-beam designed rod personally. I-beam and H-beams are, in my opinion, stronger designs.

its often forgotten, MZR is the engine code for every new mazda four cylinder out there, not just the DISI turbo. so when it says that parts "work on the MZR motor" that doesn't narrow the field down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_MZR_engine

like i said, if those rods up there are designed for the regular 2.3 focus/volvo/mazda3 and not for the DISI they are not going to work. some companies claim you can machine down the rods from a regular 2.3 and make them work. i prefer to stick with parts made for the engine.

pauter makes our connecting rods. i also would not go with an A-beam designed rod personally. I-beam and H-beams are, in my opinion, stronger designs.

Thank you very much for clarifying that for me, I was just asking because the street unit site says the application is for the ms3, ms6, and cx-7 (pretty much the turbo engines) but I wanted to be REALLY sure of it...... I'm still not too "up-to-date" with these engines,

thanks again. (bowdown)

[edit]

What does Pauter make........ do they do the H beams or I beams?

i believe that someone stated on the SUforum that he called cosworth and they said their parts wont work, yet they still have them forsale...

i believe that someone stated on the SUforum that he called cosworth and they said their parts wont work, yet they still have them forsale...

if you could cut and paste that here or just PM it to me that would help alot when i talk to Cosworth. if thats true thats a real shameful thing.

so theres your answer. the cosworth engines and engine parts are not designed for nor will they work in the mazdaspeed3, mazdaspeed6 and cx-7

on a different note, here is attached pic showing the factory internals next to a true forged internal. those who still cling to the "forged factory internal capable of 500awhp" nonsense can check this photo out and tell me if they really honestly still believe that.

left : factory sausage link
right : pauter forged rod

Attachments

• DSC02923.JPG
    DSC02923.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 789
so theres your answer. the cosworth engines and engine parts are not designed for nor will they work in the mazdaspeed3, mazdaspeed6 and cx-7

on a different note, here is attached pic showing the factory internals next to a true forged internal. those who still cling to the "forged factory internal capable of 500awhp" nonsense can check this photo out and tell me if they really honestly still believe that.

left : factory sausage link
right : pauter forged rod

I never believed that horse crap for a second......... now this pic truly confirms it.

HOLY CRAP, I didn't know our internals were so damn weak looking, looks like I need to hit up Pauter........

just so everyone knows, wisecos DO NOT fit the rods made for the mazdaspeed6/3/cx7 either. we had tried a set out and found that the wristpin size does not match nor does the rod seat in the piston. if you see wisecos listed for this car DO NOT BUY THEM, wiseco will even tell you they only sell pistons for a standard duratec 2.3

Ken, I know we've been going back and forth via email, IM etc. Is it really going to be 5 more weeks before you get another set of rods & pistons for me?

Ken, I know we've been going back and forth via email, IM etc. Is it really going to be 5 more weeks before you get another set of rods & pistons for me?

I told you another way you could get it done in a month. Give me a call if you want to do it.

i just paid $300 on top of the price of the pistons themselves to rush a pair of sets here. one of those will be yours. the rods are what are holding me up now, but Timm could help me with that as stated here;

I told you another way you could get it done in a month. Give me a call if you want to do it.

i've been calling youknowwho and leaving messages and he never returns my calls. i would be happy to go that route if he would call me back.

Ken,

I thought I saw a while ago that the top of our pistons were specially designed for our DISI motors for compressing the fuel right when it is injected.. It looked like a couple of pages back when you were showing the stock piston and the new one that ours has more of a bowl shape to the top and the new ones are more flat?

Is that true, and if it is will it make a difference in anything? Also will lowering the compression ratio cause any problems with the direct injection?

Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just curious.

Back