MAZDA3 rims and tires on P5

ogsp5

225 whp @ 8psi
:
2002 p5 (MSP Powered)
I got a set of oem mazda3 rims and tires today( not installed yet). I have installed a set of racing beat springs so the car has dropped a bit. Do you think these rims and tires will fit? The stock tire is 205/50/17.(wrc)

Those tires might be a bit tall. But the RB springs don't drop as much as others. Could be fine. I think with 205/45s you'd be totally OK?

I'm just jabbering. I'm no authority.

If they don't weight very much I will be going with the 16x6.5 Mazda3 wheels or the 16x6.5 3rd Gen Miata wheels wearing 205/45/16 rubber.

They'll fit. I tried em on my MP3 with the stock RB Springs.

mp3withmz3rims01.jpg

SilentSno said:
They'll fit. I tried em on my MP3 with the stock RB Springs.

mp3withmz3rims01.jpg
Thanks, the picture gives a very good look of what will come(dance)

SilentSno said:
Your welcome. I think the MP3 rims look better on a Mz3 than the Mz3 rims on a MP3.

mz3withmp3rims01.jpg

wow, the mz3 makes 17" wheels look like 15s. i guess its the 45 series tire.

do be so sure that because the 3 wheels fit an mp3 that they will fit a p5. the sedans have more room than the p5's do. if i recall correctly, someone with a p5 had rubbing issues with the 3 wheels.

Does anybody have a picture of these rims(stock tire) on p5. Maybe I might have to go to a lower profile. Possible 40 or 35(drive)

A friend and I had some extra time on our hands, so we swapped rims. I think a lower profile would be needed because the overall diameter of the 3 wheel is larger than the stock P5 wheel. I only did this to one side, and the side with the 3 wheels was raised up higher than the stock side. There was also very little clearance in the front between the tire and the bottom of the spring holder on the strut, like less than a finger's width.

This is on stock springs too. I think it would look WAY nicer if the car was lowered.

I just threw in a pic what P5 wheels look like on the 3. Look at how big the rotors are compared to the P5.....crazy...(eek2)

ogsp5 said:
Does anybody have a picture of these rims(stock tire) on p5. Maybe I might have to go to a lower profile. Possible 40 or 35(drive)

Attachments

• DSCN2982Small.jpg
    DSCN2982Small.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 818
  • DSCN2987Small.jpg
    DSCN2987Small.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 809
  • DSCN2988Small.jpg
    DSCN2988Small.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 804
  • DSCN2981Small.jpg
    DSCN2981Small.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 812
deepfriedsushi said:
A friend and I had some extra time on our hands, so we swapped rims. I think a lower profile would be needed because the overall diameter of the 3 wheel is larger than the stock P5 wheel. I only did this to one side, and the side with the 3 wheels was raised up higher than the stock side. There was also very little clearance in the front between the tire and the bottom of the spring holder on the strut, like less than a finger's width.

This is on stock springs too. I think it would look WAY nicer if the car was lowered.

I just threw in a pic what P5 wheels look like on the 3. Look at how big the rotors are compared to the P5.....crazy...(eek2)
Thanks. I went to local tire dealer to see what fit. Due to the car has been lowered I have to use 205-40-17.

Here are some pics of my ride with Mazda3 wheels and 205/45/17 tires on MP3 springs.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 816
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 821
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 807
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 809
wow those rotors do look tiny compared to the 3.... they look pretty good on the p5 though... i didn't think the mp3 wheels looked that good on the mz3... maybe just the wheel gap but it didn't look that good to me..

Question

When changing rims, i noticed that the 3 wheels were A LOT heavier than the P5 wheels. (eek2) i've looked around, found that P5 rims are 16-17lbs and i'm just wondering how much heavier 3 wheels are. I'm considerin on goin with 3 wheels, but i don't really want too much of an increase in unsprung weight.

r00k said:
Here are some pics of my ride with Mazda3 wheels and 205/45/17 tires on MP3 springs.

Is the Racing Beat springs the same as the MP3

actually the racing beat springs are based on the prototype they submitted to mazda. mazda said they were a bit to low and so the final mp3/speed springs produced set the car up a bit higher. the racing beat springs (purchased from racing beat) are lower than stock mp3/speed springs. it was printed in racing beats report and parts guide a while ago.

i have mazda 3 rims on my car. my tires are 205/40/17 and it's just barely making it. i used to have racing beat springs but now i have espelir and tokico hp struts and i have no problems. so don't go lower than an inch with those wheels and tires. i also have the racing beat rear sway bar and it really helps to reduce understeer and the added oversteer is so strange!

old pics w/racing beat springs and mazda 3 wheels
click here to connect

Last edited:
Back