Winter's tough on the 2

zoomzoom2

:
Mazda 2
My 2 just experienced its first winter storm, which was a big one - 25-30cm (almost a foot). Snow accumulated in the wheel wells and inside the rims making for a very tough drive. The car shuddered and handled really weird. I called the dealer and they said to park the car somewhere warm to let the snow melt. Uh - not possible, so I basically had to avoid driving past 50Km/h for about 3-4 days. One thing I did is find some rough patches of road and deliberately drive over them so that the ice and snow would fall off. At one point I heard a really loud clunk and saw a large piece of ice in my rear-view mirror that just fell off my car. Almost instantly the handling improved.

Then this morning I started the car in -20 degrees Celsius weather and every time I went over a bump the suspension made an incredibly awful sound. As time went on the sound subsided. My guess is that the cold affects the shocks.

So perhaps this is more of a Florida car, because in warm weather this car is a dream.

Haha~ Canadian winters are certainly "fun", aren't they?

Where in Canucksville are you located, friend?

I've had my share of -20C winters in Ontario many moons ago, and I certainly don't miss those days...

Steelies really help with avoiding the accumulation in the rim, went 4 years without major problems in winter. Wheel-well accumulation is going to be a problem in any car, so it is what it is.

I find anything colder than -10, causes the strut squeak, and makes shifting feel like butt until the tranny gets warmed up. I think part of the dash also rubs the A-pillar, which might contribute to the noise.

My advice, brush the snow off, and pick the snow out of the wheelwells. Haven't gotten stuck, even in powder almost up the emblem.

I have steel rims in deed, I think it's the wheel wells, but most importantly is the lack of a heated garage...

I had a light dusting of snow a couple days ago and had no problems. You guys must be doing something wrong.

Winter has had a negligible affect on my mazda2 here in San Antonio Texas. (drive)
I lose about 3mpg just switching my tyres for winter... Not counting the additional idle time (with ac running) to keep the insides of the windows from frosting over...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Back