Vibrating when parked

Yeah, the rule of thumb is if there's a turbo or supercharger under your hood, you're buying the expensive stuff. That will help alleviate pinging/detonation though, not vibration at idle.

Bring it to a different dealership. That guy's 0 for 2. It's not normal and it's not the gas you use.

It's normal if you're used to other vehicles. The cx5 is very unrefined in the nvh department regarding its engine sounds. It's like the LS1 of economic 4 bangers. It has unique vibes, but its healthy.

I’d say it’s different. Especially if you’re coming from something like a Toyota which imho is unrefined in a totally different way.

It's normal if you're used to other vehicles. The cx5 is very unrefined in the nvh department regarding its engine sounds. It's like the LS1 of economic 4 bangers. It has unique vibes, but its healthy.

When I bought my car, just before I drove away, as an afterthought, I opened the hood with the engine running. I thought something was wrong with it coming from a V6 Acura, Honda, and Nissan. The salesman assured me that was normal, it wasn't just the warm up, it had been on long enough, and offered to start another new one for me to hear. I took him up on it, and it sounded just as bad.

Inside the cab, it sounds great.

Anything with direct injection? I think most people tend to think it sounds off on their first DI car. Plus Mazda’s high compression and unique timing it’s just a different sounding engine imo.

Unrefined-I think not. Ed

Have you owned other 4 cylinder vehicles? I have owned one other, and experienced many others back when I worked on the lot selling them. The skyactiv is very harsh, noisy, and vibrates a lot, especially when just cranked and its colder out, compared to any other 4 cylinder vehicles I have been in that were remotely stock (crammed up turbo vehicles don't count...)

Have you owned other 4 cylinder vehicles? I have owned one other, and experienced many others back when I worked on the lot selling them. The skyactiv is very harsh, noisy, and vibrates a lot, especially when just cranked and its colder out, compared to any other 4 cylinder vehicles I have been in that were remotely stock (crammed up turbo vehicles don't count...)

Sounds right. 2003 Honda Element sounds better.

I'm not mad at Mazda. I'm assuming Mazda knows its noisy and think they are making the right engineering judgements. I wouldn't trade off significant expense, fuel economy, reliability, the quiet cabin, or performance for a quieter engine.

Sounds right. 2003 Honda Element sounds better.

I'm not mad at Mazda. I'm assuming Mazda knows its noisy and think they are making the right engineering judgements. I wouldn't trade off significant expense, fuel economy, reliability, the quiet cabin, or performance for a quieter engine.

It's fine. This is just its nature. If you really want a freakout moment, go cold crank an E92 M3.

Right that’s why they put the bit about cold startup in the owners manual. I know a friend of mine got a 3 the first year they had Skyactiv and she thought something was wrong with it and took it to the dealer. I’m sure a lot of people did and having that in the owners manual helps.

Mazda engineers are allowed to be this way because they're small. In fact, neither rotary engine nor homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) engine, where Mazda's new SkyActiv-X engine is based on, was invented by Mazda engineers. Their major contributions have been making something good on paper becoming a reality, where most others had tried and given up!

(thumb)
Don't forget the Miller Cycle from the Millenia S. A joint effort by Mazda and Yamaha and a shame it's not still in production. That supercharger sound...

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/question132.htm

(thumb)
Don't forget the Miller Cycle from the Millenia S. A joint effort by Mazda and Yamaha and a shame it's not still in production. That supercharger sound...

I bet your neighbours love you and what about throwing that confounded phone in the glovebox instead of showing off on youtube when you should be sharing the road safely. Its a car - it makes a noise, so does a truck.

Back