Trailer wiring harness 2019 touring

About to mount a hitch and install a wireing harness all the instructions say to run the power wire off the battery. I was wondering if anybody run it off the cargo plug. It's got full time power and a 25 amp fuse.

I did. Soldered it to the aux power wire without the inline fuse, and replaced the 25 amp fuse with a 10 amp in the driver's side fuse box, just in case. Also taped a note inside the fuse cover about the fuse change. Like you say, that circuit is isolated and can handle a lot of juice and I can't think of anything that can go wrong.

The Canadian harness gets power from a harness in the back. No splicing, I think you add some wires to an existing connector.

Thaxs just strange that's not how it's done by directions. The only thing I'm going to do is a inline fuse.
I think it is because connecting directly to the battery is the absolute safest in terms of not messing up the computer/electrical system. If someone doesn't follow the directions and the car does not run right, they won't have to pay damages if one was to sue, idk.
I tried to find the wire terminal that the Canadian harness uses that goes into the back wire block but could not find it. So I soldered it to the aux power wire.

Soldering heavy wire:

Last edited:
At least for the 2018 this is the wire to tap for power from the rear auxiliary outlet:
49656532457_640a2d0a83.jpg

And here is the fuse (F3) that protects that circuit.
49655714498_1544587075_c.jpg

The Canadian harness gets power from a harness in the back. No splicing, I think you add some wires to an existing connector.
True for the power wire. You put the red power wire from the trailer light harness into the existing rear junction connector. But all the lights use a scotch lock style connector to tap into the wires. I have nothing against scotch lock connectors for inside wiring but really this is more time consuming and inferior to using the aftermarket trailer wiring with T connectors that snap between existing light connectors.
My impression is that people who used the OEM trailer wiring did not do the work themselves. Nothing against the OEM trailer wiring - just that it is in no way superior in function or ease of installation.
You want to tap into the power wire used for the OEM trailer wires? Find the wire across from the connector location below. The only advantage is that it is on the left side versus the rear aux power on the right.

49656688022_a2ded5f552_c.jpg

True for the power wire. You put the red power wire from the trailer light harness into the existing rear junction connector. But all the lights use a scotch lock style connector to tap into the wires. I have nothing against scotch lock connectors for inside wiring but really this is more time consuming and inferior to using the aftermarket trailer wiring with T connectors that snap between existing light connectors.
My impression is that people who used the OEM trailer wiring did not do the work themselves. Nothing against the OEM trailer wiring - just that it is in no way superior in function or ease of installation.
You want to tap into the power wire used for the OEM trailer wires? Find the wire across from the connector location below. The only advantage is that it is on the left side versus the rear aux power on the right.

49656688022_a2ded5f552_c.jpg
It is risky tapping into the power wire in the back block. I would never do that. I tried to find the right sized/style wire terminal that would be easy to click into the block, but I couldn't find it.

Back