Steering Wheel Leather Cracking Solutions

I have a 2016 GT and my steering wheel is starting to peel at 80k miles on the car. I absolutely hate steering wheel covers from Amazon, Target, etc. I have been looking into getting the wheel itself replaced but keeping all the electronics. The wheel itself is $310-ish for the part. I have also seen on Amazon leather covers that are sewn on over top the steering wheel. I’m not sure if that is something I can do myself. I‘m not sure what the best solution is?

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
I'd try the Amazon leather covers that you sew on. The one that @MGMGT16 did (linked above) looks OEM. Maybe he can provide some tips.

This is the one I used. The instructions say to tuck it under the trim pieces on the steering wheel, but I didn’t like how that looked so I took the whole wheel off. Taking the steering wheel off was about 30 minutes and then it took about an hour to sew it on. Finished result:
4F5DC05F-4E24-43B3-9AC5-C341313E5CC8.jpeg

If you want to do the same thing, I can help with how to dismantle the steering wheel. I couldn’t find a guide online (doesn’t mean there isn’t one, I was just impatient) but this is my third steering wheel I’ve taken apart so I just kinda figured it out

:
Winnipeg Canada
:
2017 CX-9 GT
I once had a local leather shop redo my leather steering wheel. It was a while ago so I can't remember the details, but the final result was pretty nice. And it wasn't an "auto" shop, just a leather shop that typically makes leather clothing. A full on custom leather wheel isn't a bad option. Something to consider.

This is the one I used. The instructions say to tuck it under the trim pieces on the steering wheel, but I didn’t like how that looked so I took the whole wheel off. Taking the steering wheel off was about 30 minutes and then it took about an hour to sew it on. Finished result:
View attachment 297871

If you want to do the same thing, I can help with how to dismantle the steering wheel. I couldn’t find a guide online (doesn’t mean there isn’t one, I was just impatient) but this is my third steering wheel I’ve taken apart so I just kinda figured it out
I don’t have any experience sewing, how difficult was it to sew on? I think I’m going to try this first before going to get it replaced.

I don’t have any experience sewing, how difficult was it to sew on? I think I’m going to try this first before going to get it replaced.
It’s a blunt needle and all you have to do is a loop from one side to the other. There’s quite a few videos on how to sew them on but the leather comes pre-stitched at the edges so you are essentially just connecting those stitches. I don’t have any hand sewing experience either and I did it.

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
It’s a blunt needle and all you have to do is a loop from one side to the other. There’s quite a few videos on how to sew them on but the leather comes pre-stitched at the edges so you are essentially just connecting those stitches. I don’t have any hand sewing experience either and I did it.

Thanks for this info @MGMGT16. I think I'm going to do this as well. I've got a few minor nicks and scratches on the wheel from my wife's nails/purse I'd like to cover up.

:
CX-9
I had my wife sew on a $25 leather one from eBay. Came out great but now I've worn that out.

I have a 2015 but it's the same process. We didn't take the wheel off, took her about an hour.