Paint the fog light bulbs?

:
2008 Mazda5 Touring
Has anyone ever tried to paint a high wattage car bulb before? I want the fogs to be yellow when they're on, and thought of something...

About 10 years ago I bought some headlight bulbs from JCWhitney for an old vehicle I had. They were blue 100W bulbs that were very blue, too blue. I simply took my pocket knife and scraped off some of the painted coating and made them less blue. They performed well for as long as I can remember after that.

Now, why couldn't I just buy some yellow enamel and paint the fog light bulbs? I don't want the lense to be yellow, just the light when they're on.

Anybody ever try this before?

Why not buy yellow bulbs?
I doubt the yellow enamel paint would be transparent, and therefore would block too much light.

'cause I've already got the bulbs.

I coated a candellabra bulb for a nightlight in blue a few months back, and it took 3 coats to darken it enough. I know 1 coat won't darken too much. I just wonder about the heat mostly. Maybe I'll try to find a sample size can and test it out.

I'm thinking of a different kind of enamel paint.
Given that when installing auto bulb that one is warned about getting finger grease on them I would think that putting paint on them would be worse - but, what do you have to lose, other then a pair of bulbs?

Since colored bulbs are coated, I don't see an issue. The reason to not touch the bulb is that it would create a hot spot on the glass. The goal is to spread the heat out evenly over the whole of the bulb, touching it concentrates it more in one spot (maybe it dissipates slower there) contributing to failure. I will be dipping the bulb to get even coverage.

I will try this and let you know the result.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/...&utm_content=Website&utm_campaign=Google Base

I’ve tried using rattle can paint on fog light bulbs before(didn’t know any better back then) but the color does not come out as intended in part b/c I used the wrong type of paint, the heat from the bulb causes the paint to slowly faded/chip (maybe due to wrong kind of paint), and the close proximity of the paint on the bulb produces a lighter/different color(blue coat turned out to be teal). If you are truly looking for good light output, you should focus on painting the inner fog light glass. Otherwise, a nicer pair of bulbs are in order. I’ve never tried dipping so it's worth give it a try. Just keep in mind the color output will be lighter/different than the color you are coating it with –go a few shades darker but this consequently will affect your light output.

Read this:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/light_color/light_color.html
If you want selective yellow lights for whatever reason, applying a coating to an optical element is a more permanent, optically cleaner option that eliminates the need to find and get special bulbs. Good results have been obtained by removing the lamps, cleaning the lenses thoroughly and making sure they're warm, then spraying them with several wet-but-not-drippy coats of Dupli-Color Metalcast yellow, a transparent yellow paint product with good adhesion and durability. Let each coat "flash off" (dry most of the way) before applying the next, and use thin coats so you don't get drips and sags in the wet paint. With each successive coat, the yellow tint will grow deeper. Make it about 2 shades deeper than you think looks right, and it'll turn out well in the end. Of course, the coating needs to be permitted to dry and harden completely before you take the fog lamps out on the road, otherwise dust and grit will become embedded in the still-tacky surface. In the case of lamps with removable lenses, by coating the interior surface of the lens obviously answers questions of coating durability against pitting and scratching. Results of conversion can be seen here.

Interesting read. Thanks.

I'm not too concerned about fading and chipping as reapplication by dipping them in paint is simple. I also don't want to paint the lens because I want the yellow to only be from the light source and not obvious when the car is parked. I may go 3000k HIDs in the next few months, but for now a $2 can of enamel is worth trying. I'll be stopping by JoAnn's this afternoon, so I should know if it will work as expected later this week.

The light output from the fog lights is pathetic anyways, these are now used as DRLs so attention-getting is all they're intended for really. I don't want to go intense either, more of a subtle yellow.

Well, looks like ebay is where I'll be getting a set...

Picked up the enamel yesterday. It's water based, and the manufacurer says it will just blister off from constant heat. Should have just heeded everyone's advice. I can be bull-headed when I get an idea in mind - just ask my wife!

Can get a can of Very High Temp Enamel Spray Paint for $9 thats for exhaust headers, but I can get a set of yellow H11's for $5.65 shipped from ebay. That's cheaper than $20+ that most other sites are selling these things for. Should have just dug a little deeper.

Thanks for all the input.

Installed mine today.

On our last road trip, I stopped by Susquehanna Motorsports (great guys) in PA, and picked up a set of their Optilux (Hella) H11 yellow fog light bulbs. Installed them today - definitely a good swap to do if you have the lower engine splash cover off already for an oil change. The right side is easy, but the left side is slightly harder to access. Overall a 3/10 for those that don't do a lot of their own work (still pretty easy).

attachment.php

Last edited:
No need for any of that. The lower splash shield is only 7 bolts, and 2 clips. Bumper removal is not necessary. When I say the left side is harder to access, you can see it clearly, but once you reach in, you are going by feel. The passenger side is wide open - do it first, and you will have no trouble.

The bad thing about those aftermarket yellow bulbs is they don't last nearly as long as OEM bulbs. You will be lucky getting a year out of them if you have
them turned on all the time.

The bad thing about those aftermarket yellow bulbs is they don't last nearly as long as OEM bulbs. You will be lucky getting a year out of them if you have
them turned on all the time.

That is why I went with a better brand - I have used Hella products for over 25 years, and have never been disappointed. I have seen short lifespan from high end bulbs from PIAA, Sylvania/OSRAM, Philips, and GE. Hella/Optilux have been good to me, and the yellow fog bulbs in my last 2 cars lasted over 4 years, and were sold with the cars. Don't get me started on folks who leave their fog lights on all the time... I prefer yellow lamps (reflectors) as opposed to bulbs, but the better quality units used cadmium in them, and have been phased out for environmental reasons.

I notice you sell the yellow overlays - same issues with good vs. cheap quality with them. The better quality films are excellent, plus the added bonus of adding some degree of protection to the lens. Poor quality ones can impair optics, and even melt/fuse to the lamps lens when used with higher wattage bulbs (I assume the ones you sell are the former :) ).

Last edited:
OEM bulbs? I don't understand this, as it's not like Mazda makes the bulbs...??
I got a set from China (that's where they're all made anyways) for less than $6. Yes, I will be one to leave the fogs on all the time. The are now DRL's and the safety factor (even if it's placebo) is worth it. If I have to replace them once per year when I do an oil change, that's fine with me too. If this becomes an annoyance, I'll just install some yellow HID's.

The OEM ones that came out of mine are Philips (Made in Germany). Canadian models are already equipped with DRLs, so adding the fogs in the daytime for us is overkill. In overcast/rain/snow I use my low beam headlights - safer yet as it gets your tail lights on as well. Many driving schools are teaching students to use their low beam headlights at all times as the stats show it being a benefit. I will see how long the Optilux ones last. If I am disappointed, I will try the ones from China. At $6 a set, you can't really fo wrong!

Last edited:
I'd just go for yellow HIDs as mine is on all the time (auto). been in my car since spring. cant go wrong for the price ($70 w/ shipping to canada)

Back