Mazda2 named World_Car of the Year!

TinmanMS6

:
2012 Subaru WRX
mazda2_wcoty_winner.jpg

The fireworks are cold, the confetti cartridges are spent, and the 2008 World Car of the Year Awards have come to an end. Based on standards of merit, value, safety, environmental responsibility, significance, and emotional appeal, the three finalists were the Volvo Ford Mondeo, Mazda2/Demio and Mercedes C-Class. Don't read any further if, for some reason, you don't want to know what the 2008 World Car of the Year is and you haven't seen the photo above: the Mazda 2/Demio. What we earlier called the squat hatch with the aggressive wedge shape and swooping beltline showed its well-proportioned rump (also our term, and Mazda, feel free to quote us) to worthy competition.

That's not certain yet. I do know that it shouldn't be called a "world car" if it's not sold in the biggest market in the world.

Has China passed the US yet? I know there are a lot more people, but I don't think they buy more cars yet.

I keep telling my friend to go to the local dealerships and complain. This is the sort of car he wants.
I've been badgering him to get a 3; he likes mine but the doesn't want a 4-door. (something about doors creaking due to non-use?) :rolleyes:

...plus South African Car of the Year (Coty) for 2008

What about this one?

Oh my, Mazda2 is hitting like a mule kick. It better be brought to this side of the pond. Zoom-Zoom to you South Africans (2thumbs)... plus, talking about Mazda, the Mazda5 made it as one of the eight finalists :D

The South African Car of the Year (Coty) for 2008, announced last night, is the Mazda2 1.5 Individual.

The choice by a jury of 32 members of the South African Guild of Motoring Journalists was a popular one, journalist Gerry Gericke said.

“It’s a most impressive car, and was well supported by most journalists.”

The eight other finalists for the prestigious title were: Fiat Bravo 1.4 T-Jet Sport; Honda CR-V 2.2 I-CTDI; Land Rover Freelander 2.2 TD4 HSE; Lexus LS 460; Mazda5 2.0 Active; Mercedes-Benz C220 CDI; Nissan Qashqai 2.0 Acenta; and Toyota Corolla 1.8 Exclusive.

The cars were assessed at a two-day test session at the Gerotek facility.

The evaluation included high speed dynamic assessment; an autokhana test to mark manoeuvrability, parking prowess and general ease of control and driving tests under various conditions, all the while taking fuel economy into account.

A static evaluation of each finalist also contributed to the car’s score in terms of aesthetics, build quality and ergonomics, while considerations based on perceptions of value for money, cost of a spares’ basket, safety features and environmental friendliness contributed to overall points.

Coty is unique in the world in that the victor is determined not by popular vote, but by actual testing to determine by what margins they meet the criteria for honours.

http://www.dispatch.co.za/article.aspx?id=184266

he likes mine but the doesn't want a 4-door. (something about doors creaking due to non-use?) :rolleyes:

Yeah, happened to my old Honda but applying some lithium white grease does the job and to be honest, if that is the only issue, Mazda3 > Mazda2, come on, no brainer...

I keep telling my friend to go to the local dealerships and complain. This is the sort of car he wants.
I've been badgering him to get a 3; he likes mine but the doesn't want a 4-door. (something about doors creaking due to non-use?) :rolleyes:

LOL....are you kidding? Ha....tell him all he has to do is open the doors and clean the seals occasionally and they won't creak. LOL that's hilarious. Mine creak if I go through several storms before it gets washed again. Something about dirty rain water makes them noisy.

Yeah, happened to my old Honda but applying some lithium white grease does the job and to be honest, if that is the only issue, Mazda3 > Mazda2, come on, no brainer...

Depends on your priorities. The 2 will definitely get better fuel economy, and I think it looks better. It's a lot lighter, so it may very well handle better also.
(dunno)

LOL....are you kidding? Ha....tell him all he has to do is open the doors and clean the seals occasionally and they won't creak. LOL that's hilarious. Mine creak if I go through several storms before it gets washed again. Something about dirty rain water makes them noisy.
just a bad door checker design in the new mazdas (yay ford)... the CX-7 had this problem so much that mazda released a TSB for it, but the design is still the same on the other new mazdas (different part though)

Bottom line...Mazda has done a really good job with the 2/Demio and they deserve such an award...I really believe that Mazda is one of the few car companies out there these days...that is actually passionate about creating cars that people can be excited about owning and driving!

(drive)(rockon)

They should bring it over here, if they did I might make it my next car. And how awesome would a Mazdaspeed2 hot hatch be??

Oh gosh, ever since Mazda started talking about this car I've been staying tuned with news all about it!

If the Mazda2 comes out in the U.S, I'm buying one! Yes, a Mazda2 hot hatch would be incredible. screw the yaris and fit! mazda2 had better be on its way

Back