Koni Yellow adjustment and settings

tibimakai

San Dimas CA
:
USA
:
2014 CX-5 Touring
I have just got a set of these for the CX5 and I need help with the adjustment.
These are my first adjustable struts/shocks, so I don't have experience with stuff like this.
They seem quite soft out of the box. I'm guessing, they are set to max soft, haven't messed with them yet.
Basically, I have just found out, that actually the rear once are adjustable as well, I didn't even know that.
I'm on CS springs, which are quite a hard set of springs.
Any recommendation about what setting to use, how many turns?

I’d had these on Eibach Springs. I’d had the Rear 3/4 turn from soft, and the front 1 full turn from soft. The rears are alittle harder to adjust once install. There’s also a video on YouTube how to adjust the rear shocks. Hope this help you out.

Thanks for that.
I'm about to install them and I was looking for some setting, at least to start with.

I'd start with adjusting them to prevent/reduce bottoming out, then go from there.. remember when you adjust the dampening you are also affecting oversteer/understeer tendency so the stiffer the rear vs the front the less understeer

OK, all is done, but something is still wrong.

When I turn hard, left or right, I hear some clonking sound in the back, also when I go up on my driveway. I have removed the left rear wheel, double checked my work, but I did not find anything wrong. When I was trying to tighten the bolts, the rear control arm bushing was moving to easily in my opinion. It seemed to soft.
When I was driving on the freeway, there was a pretty bad bouncing at the front, that I have felt in the steering wheel and even a bit in the gas pedal.

This is why I have replaced my struts/shocks in the first place, and the problem is still present.

I'm at 64k, with still on stock struts/shocks and CS springs, so most likely they needed replacing anyway. I had a slight balancing issue with the front tires(America's Tire never does a good job) around 72 MPH. It wasn't too bad to bother going back and complain about them.

I have also rotated my tires at this time(Nitto Motivo sucks, only two years and three months and my front tires need to be replaced, I have ~25k on them: they are a 60k tire !).

So, new brakes, new struts, tires rotated(the rear ones were good, no balancing issues(after the second time I have visited Americas Tire, of course). All four ball joint boots are cracked open. They don't feel lose, though. I'm very upset and most likely my next car won't be a Mazda.

Driver seat's bottom has a creaking sound, most likely another bed welding spot has cracked. The bottom part of the seat was replaced a while ago because of horrible sound coming from the motor.

Rear spoiler clear coat is almost completely gone, everywhere else is great, no clear coat issues.

Driver mirrors still shakes, after dealer applied a fix. Spoiler nuts are falling off constantly.

Man I miss my 08' VW Rabbit. I had the same mileage, purchased it new, around 6-1/2 years that I had it (almost as with the CX5) and I have never had a single issue with it, no one.

Most likely, I need all four control arms replaced.

This morning, I have noticed something that puzzles me.
As I was pushing the gas pedal, going a bit faster(~75), the car had a continuous shaking.
When I let it go, the shaking stopped.
Could it be drive axle?

Rear clunk, was a slightly loose rear sway bar end link nut.
Front vibration, it seems to be caused, by the rear/middle motor mount(torque arm).
I will confirm this after I replace it. It has way to much movement.

Replaced the torque arm, helped a bit, but there is still a vibration.
I could move the center metal bushing, on the big bushing side, with my fingers. Rubber it was to soft.
Now I'm starting to think, that maybe the control arm bushings could be soft as well?

Front driver side wheel was unbalanced. Two techs tried balancing it, and they couldn't. They had to call their manager, and he manage to balance it properly. It's all good again.

Back