If the CX-5 has the SD card plug-in port, does that mean the Navigation is installed?

steelbydesign

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
I'm looking at a used 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring edition, and the ad didn't list it as having a navigation system. I test drove it yesterday and noticed the SD card in there and asked the dealer what that was and he had no idea.

I googled it and have read how they're all basically "Navigation system ready" but I'm wondering, if the card is in there, does that mean that the navigation system is already installed? Or do they all come with this "port" and the dealer has to activate it in order for it to work?

Card = maps. You could also simply just turn on the navigation. If it turns on = there's navigation. If it says to purchase the card = no navigation.

I'm confused by your questions. You said the car has the SD card but then you state that they all come with the "port". So does the car you're looking at have an actual SD card installed or is there just an empty SD car port? If it has the card then you have the maps for navigation, though it might need to be updated. If there is no card then you don't have maps but the system is in place and all that is need is the SD card with the maps on it. You can find those on ebay, just make sure you're getting the right one for you model.

There are 2 different setups based on the model year of your car.

the 2013-2015 model CX-5 use an ADD ON TOM TOM system that is a module installed into the cubby between the door and steering wheel.

You slide a small protective door open on the NAV unit, and you will see the SD card.

whereas...

the 2016 and up CX-5 units use a NAVTEQ system, that is NAV READY, you just add the SD card into the NAV slot in the arm rest/center console

so to answer your question, if you saw a module with an SD card in it to the left of the steering wheel, you have NAV installed.

Last edited:
I'm looking at a used 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring edition, and the ad didn't list it as having a navigation system. I test drove it yesterday and noticed the SD card in there and asked the dealer what that was and he had no idea.

I googled it and have read how they're all basically "Navigation system ready" but I'm wondering, if the card is in there, does that mean that the navigation system is already installed? Or do they all come with this "port" and the dealer has to activate it in order for it to work?

My '14 does not have Navigation and does not have the nav module. On the '13-'15 the module sits to the left of the driver's knees. It's more than just a card reader, it also processes the GPS signal. I suppose it is possible to have the module, but not the map card installed. That would be odd, however.

Back