How-To: MS6 Clutch adjustment

I've had my car for two months and just did the adjustment.

What a difference! Thanks for the tip.

Gary

Unbelievable!!!! I have owned this car for over two months, and was STILL having problems shifting smoothly and getting out of first. I have had 3 manuals before this, so I am not a newbie at all. The clutch seems to be closer to the ground (more inline with the brake), easier to press in on, and even easier to transition into other gears as well. I started with just 2 turns, and it seems amazing, so I just left it at that. By far the best thing I have done so far. I compared it to my buddy's 3, and it was very comparable. Great write up!!!!

Last edited:
I'm a fairly new MS6 owner, about a month now. I did this last weekend, tweaked it again during the week. Everything that has been said before by previous posters. Thanks much for this tip, makes the shifting much more enjoyable.

When I got my '03 V6 MT in November '02 (a VERY early Mazda6), after two months of trying to get used to the clutch takeup, I finally bled the clutch slave cylinder, and that fixed that. But my new (to me) '06 MS6 didn't feel like it needed to be bled, but I was prepared to do that. No need now that I came across this thread. Again, thanks much for this posting and tip.

Now, if I can only get my local dealer to re-do the alignment so it doesn't drift right, I'll be beyond happy with the car, downright ecstatic (I've seen the posts about the control arm TSB and will push the dealer on it).

Great forums, thanks, guys.

Well I did the adjustment this weekend and tweaked it a few times. Maybe I did something wrong but all I noticed is it moved where the clutch engages but not really a big difference on how it feels.

Yeah it's better but not all that different.

No, I agree, it was better, but I wasn't blown away. I think I just expected more out of it because of the great reviews here. I even experimented by not telling the wife to see if she noticed the difference and all she said was "the clutch feels weird, did it get messed up?" ha ha.

But I guess its worth as much as you paid for it!!! Good for a free mod!

haha, yeah it is a great free mod.

And I don't mean to put down anyone cause it's a good find, I just think because of the reviews I was expecting alot more.

everyone is saying 2-2.5 turns, is that complete rotations from the starting point that you mark with the sharpie?

just adjust it till it feels right for you.

whats right for one may not be right for another. i have about 1 round in and it feels great. the grab point is right around the time the clutch feel pressure is climbing.

It about peference

No offense I think the clutch stock feels great, and I've got the clutch that is supposedly hard to drive, but it's firm, and responsive like it supposed to me.

This is the 5th vehicle with a stick, and I don't want to hear any complaints until you've driven a 70's truck with a 3 finger clutch. To put it simply it could put you knee into your face if you weren't careful.

Also if there's any questions on how long a clutch is supposed to last I've never had one wear out of completely fail before 100K. If you have it's because you don't know how to drive a stick. I've got 94K on my 06 MS6, and I've had more issues with broken axles, and rear diff mounts/ motor/ trans mounts.

I tried this mod, and I didn't like the way it made it feel. If you do it make sure you don't make the clutch constantly partially disengaged.

i think i'm the only person on the planet that could f up something like this lol.

I adjusted the stop bolt 2 turns, done.
I adjusted the rod to compensate for it, also done.

However! (heh, there is always a "however") I accidently power shifted around 3000 rpm once after this and was like "wtf, thats not right", no grinding or anything. now I have never attempted to power shift before so I dont know if thats normal to not get a grind shifting without the clutch around that kind of rpm.

now with the first adjustment i wasnt getting any clutch smell.

So I went back and adjusted it again and brought the rod further back from the firewall. this is where I'm at right now. its so far back that I can hear and feel the rod clicking when I step on it (i'm assuming its the rod clicking into the pump/cylindar/what ever it pushes in). I dont think thats a bad thing but I just want to get this done.

I love the clutch now with the little tweak so I'm going to keep it where it is but I have to get this actuator rod in the right place. is there any place I can stick a tape measure to or count threads or something to make sure I'm in a good position; where I'm not to far in or out. After work today I'm going to turn it in towards the firewall a little bit more, atleast till the clicking is gone ya know.

and if someone can just clarify with me about that no grinding thing I did with shifting without the clutch, that would take a big burden off of my mind. I always thought you can only do that at much higher RPM, not 3k.

did this today... makes a subtle, but good difference. Hill starts are slightly easier... I'm still not ready to tackle the 25% grade uphill stoplight I encounter in my daily commute, but getting closer. Adjusted 2 turns on the stop bolt, and 1.5 on the actuator rod. I can hear the click when the rod hits the piston

Yep, I like.. event for pointed me to this thread and did it tonight. I agree, it feels much better. 2.5 on the stop bolt and 1 turn on the actuator is where it worked for me. Many thanks to the OP for point this change out.

I can't believe I just did this, nailed it the 1st time just doing like the OP said (leave a hair of space before the cylinder). Took 15 min and it feels much better, no more jerky shifts.

I need to do this mod...I can see my Fiance jerking all over the place when I shift out of the corner of my eye....Only stick shift car I've had that I couldnt own the clutch

Back