Flushing ATF - Correct way ?

kulkarnipb

:
2012, CX-9 Touring
I have 2012 CX-9 AWD Touring.

While going through the forums, I realized that there are 2 ways to get the existing ATF out before pouring new in.

a) Removing drain plug as stated in - http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...luid-Changes&p=6326764&highlight=#post6326764
and

b) Using the Transmission connector return line as per -
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123855296-Home-transmission-flush-success

I am wondering - why can't I use both the methods like -

1. First remove ATF using drain'level plug.Fix Drain/level plugs back.
2. Pour the new ATF using fill plug ( exact quantity that I removed in step 1. )
3. Start engine and while engine is running, using Transmission connector return line, let the existing ATF come out and at the same time keep pouring new oil from fill plug . Try to match the quantity ( that is , whatever amount coming in, try to pour in approximately same ).
4. Once the Transmission connector return line starts throwing new oil, then stop the engine. Fix the connector line back. Pour little more oil through fill plug.
5. Drove CX-9 for a block or so 9 ( so that ATF temperature rises between 37 and 47 degrees Celsius) and then while engine is running, using level plug, remove excess ATF.

Are these steps good ? Does anyone sees any issue here .

Thanks in advance.

Finally, after doing more research, I decided todo drain-refill twice after driving car for a mile in between. I did it and made a video of the process. So beginners can use for reference ;-)

Finally, after doing more research, I decided todo drain-refill twice after driving car for a mile in between. I did it and made a video of the process. So beginners can use for reference ;-)

thanks ! kulkarnipb, much appreciated. Would it be easier to remove the battery to access the fill plug , or you don't think that's necessary.
how much did the fluids cost doing this yourself ? I usually get my transmission flushed by dealer about every 20,000 miles, they charge $150.

For me, the magnetic trick worked pretty well. It took me hardly 10 secs to position fill plug. But yes, it might have been easy by removing battery, however since I did not judge that option, I won't be able to say so for sure. Also, there is other stuff below battery and you might need to take that out. One more option is to remove Air filter(in front of battery), which lot of people prefer todo.

I used Mazda jws fluid, which I think was 12 bucks for a bottle and I purchased 7 bottles of it. However, next time, I will use Mobil, which is for 70 bucks for a dozen bottles.

As per my experience and feedbacks from friends/forums, some dealers really flush while some only deain-refill (that too only once) . You never know, which dealer/mechanic does what - since you either ride home back or access free Wi-Fi and coffee in the waiting room, while dealer mechanic operates your car. This is the major factor which forced me todo by myself.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If you go to Wantagh mazda like I do look at the invoice. They only use 6 quarts of fluid. A while back they would exchange the fluid until it was a nice red. Now they don't

If you go to Wantagh mazda like I do look at the invoice. They only use 6 quarts of fluid. A while back they would exchange the fluid until it was a nice red. Now they don't

How much they charge for it ? I think considering 100 dollar labor ( ....at dealer rate, while local mechanic might charge 50 to 60 ) and 6 bottles cost - 50 dollars for Mazda ATF fluid ( assuming bulk pricing for dealers ) , my guess is $150/- excluding tax and other fees.

Last edited:
thanks ! kulkarnipb, much appreciated. Would it be easier to remove the battery to access the fill plug , or you don't think that's necessary.

It is very easy to remove the air filter housing. That is what I did.

Nice video! I don't know about that 1 mile thing and too much mixing old and new. When I was flushing, I was pumping out 3.5 quarts in about 20 seconds.

Nice video! I don't know about that 1 mile thing and too much mixing old and new. When I was flushing, I was pumping out 3.5 quarts in about 20 seconds.
Thx for your other post on atf flush.
I referred all the time while making video. Next time I'm going to do flush and not drain refill. I just couldn't figure out return hose line, which you showed in one of your picture. If you can please post more pics from little distance so it will be helpful to correlate with other parts and figure out exactly which one it is. Thanks again for original atf flush post .

Regarding 1 mile trick , one of my friend ( who has better knowledge than me) told me. However, seems looking at color of atf after 2nd round, i think he was right.

Thx for your other post on atf flush.
I referred all the time while making video. Next time I'm going to do flush and not drain refill. I just couldn't figure out return hose line, which you showed in one of your picture. If you can please post more pics from little distance so it will be helpful to correlate with other parts and figure out exactly which one it is. Thanks again for original atf flush post .

Regarding 1 mile trick , one of my friend ( who has better knowledge than me) told me. However, seems looking at color of atf after 2nd round, i think he was right.

Yeah, let me see what I can do. That was my biggest hesitation. Getting the wrong hose.

Back