College Student First Car Build

Huge updates coming!!
So, I got the SplitSecond installed and all issues fixed. But here is the exciting part, since my turbo is donzo I've started ordering bits to get the cx installed! More updates to come as I get stuff done!

Stuff finally started coming in and its an amazing feeling! So far turbo has come in, and looks good. I got the manifold and downpipe which I sent out to signature to get some o2 bungs welded in and ceramic coated. The CX racing came in with a 13 psi wastegate but I wish, but don't wanna boom my engine yet. So I just need the straight neck/ sparco coolant hoses, wastegate, and a few other odds and ends. I will end up probably changing sparkplugs, of course, coolant and oil, and might finally see if I can find my clunks are coming from. I drove the car today and it felt bouncier lol something in the suspension is shot.

Well, this weekend is the weekend! I was going to start last weekend but I started a new job and had to commute week 1, so not the best idea to take the car apart then drive 600 miles in a week lol I will post pics later but got the manifold and down pipe ported and ceramic coated and they look absolutely beautiful. Fiance found a charity event down at Richmond letting you do laps around the track and wants me to drive my car so I'm not complaining but pushing the car back again but today I want to start with at least flushing the coolant and dissembling everything in preparation (mainly exhaust that I need to get to a friend to get flange welded in, turbo and supporting bits). Also, need to hook up the oil pressure and wideband to their appropriate receptacles. Oil temp ground went bad so its pegged out and I don't remember where I grounded it, so have to trace that. Check spark plugs and probably some more misc things. I'll try to actually update and take pics this time in order to document everything.

DA9B15E8-FB6C-4837-8A7C-F4946DF7C340.png

Lolol 2 years later the car is sitting in the same position with me under it. I'll have to get an update pic

So far I've gotten the old turbo out and the full exhaust. I decided to also start working on the motorcycle at the same time and have been busy after work so nothing really has been done.

I'm kinda concerned cause the coolant is still very rust-brown after 3 flushes and at one point I was only getting a gallon out when it holds well over that. I'll end up jacking the back up and redraining coolant in a few weeks. For now, the temp stays in the middle and according to temp gauge, it runs cooler so whateva.

Last weekend I started to install ARP Exhaust Studs but they were very hard to screw in. Philip told me to get a thread chaser which will be here tomorrow.
So this weekend I want to:
  • Get threads cleaned/studs installed
  • Get exhaust welded for the car and bike
  • Finish fire extinguisher install (just need to tighten new seat bolts)
  • Get the catch can installed
  • Probably start installing LED lights I purchased 2 years ago
  • Then some misc things I need to do in general

Finally some progress other than disassembly. Got off at 6 and stayed out in the garage until 1 lol

• Finally installed the filled motor mounts Philip gave me years ago
  • Got the bracket that holds the stock downpipe
  • Got the exhaust studs installed. It honestly took me about 2 hours to just clean the threads. They were honestly disgusting. I'm amazed at how much s*** came out of them.
  • I also installed a brake LED and it doesn't seem any brighter to me but ill have to get them all in and see.

Exhaust is getting welded today so I'll probably try to get the mid-pipe reinstalled cause it's very inconvenient having to move it around the garage. we'll see where the day takes me

m4zOEVc.jpg

is4lxDo.jpg

gYfj6qx.jpg

Slowly but surely making progress. Most LEDs are installed but I broke the side marker trying to get it out so trip to pick a part is in order. Also realized a 4.5in angle grinder wouldn't be the best idea to cut the ac bracket so I got an air compressor and 3in angle grinder. I wanted the Milwalkee 1/2 in but would have to buy batteries and a ratchet which means more batteries and chargers. Figured air would be easier and more versatile.

The straight neck coolant thermostat housing doesn't fit at all so I'm going to order the hydra one I wanted to anyway.

Also going to put some money aside to grab some more lateral and trailing arms. Im thinking hydra trailing and hardrace laterals. haven't decided yet and need money. Also need to get the silver car back on the road and the motorcycle has become a headache I don't even want to get into lol I have to work 10 hour days all week next week so might not get any progress done, but I might try to sneak outside an hour after work and make some progress. I grabbed the spark plugs out and they look meh but not bad for being oil-soaked for the last 2 years worth of driving. I might still replace them though but down the road. As for now, I just wanna get the car running and driving.

In the immortal words of Devin Townsend, slow progress is still progress!
Air tools are great, nice and small, yet still powerful enough to get most jobs done

Ps Ford Cleaveland V8 thermo housings bolt on but have a bigger hose neck :p

Last edited:
I'm loving air so far! 20gal tank made cutting kinda annoying, but expected with it constantly using air. I'm going to get some impacts and stuff in the next while (as I need them honestly) but so far loving them!

As for the Cleaveland V8 I might have to look into them! my dad has a Galaxie in NC with a Cleaveland in it. Maybe I'll steal his lol

A little more progress. While talking to a friend I noticed that the turbo was not clocked as I previously thought. So I clocked it the other night and now the wastegate doesn't fit at all. I'm heading down to 323's in a few weeks and I'm going to see if I can get stock wastegate to fit and order one. If not, I'll have to get my welder friend to look at it and work his magic.

I also managed to get the AC bracket tab cut off. Took a while and I hope it is enough, but we will see!. Trimmed some of the fan brackets as sometimes theyd rub the intercooler piping.

Lastly, my hold up now. The ARP studs I purchased are too long and wont let the manifold sit flush. Philip said he has some 38MM ones sitting around so I'm going to give them a try. Of course the WG is also an issue.

Lastly Lastly, I noticed the oil feed doesn't fit in all the way. Is this supposed to have teflon tape on it? Should it screw down further? Is there a gasket? Pics are below

rRxeOxv.jpg

STNoRKJ.jpg

qd9D9TD.jpg

qvTyut4.jpg

Well that's annoying. Should just cut off the non threaded part of those arp studs.

Exactly what I had to do.

You may have to start threading the nut for the stud you trimmed and wind it down before putting the other three nuts on. Otherwise when the flanges are clamped together you cant squeeze the nut past the stud. Hope that makes sense.

Also recommend nord-lock washers. The turbo and downpipe will never come loose.

Reactions: 323
I ran into the opposite problem that Gabe did. I ordered the proper length studs but didn't account for the tip not being threaded so it was too short. Ended up just buying different studs from the store.

Backz againz.

Went down and visited Philip to grab some shorter hardware that'll end up coming in handy on the downpipe instead of the manifold but if it works it works.

Had to trim off a little bit of the wastegate bracket but everything looks solid. A bracket for the transmission also needs to come off but that's just a bolt.

Also used his spare engine (as mine is flip turned upside down and the head is off and his is more put together than mine) to check clearance for wastegate. Everything looks good. I need to do more trimming of the AC bracket and need to find another solution for the oil drain. I had a feeling trying to fit everything with tapped oil pan would be an issue later. I might end up trying to run a scavenge pump since the cross member is right there and is open. (I have no clue how big they are or anything so this is a long shot)

Philip also got me wanting to paint a valve cover but I'm going to end up with a signature/stuzke (I spelled his name wrong, I know) cover/COP conversion soon so idk.

LisM2T0.jpg

j3H9sp9.jpg

HNeDhLP.jpg

Well first off, huge change of plans. The CX turbo has been more of a headache than its been worth. I have a buddy/old coworker who looked at it today and basically its shittier than I thought. The wastegate isn't fitting so today while picking up a new bumper I ended up with another lip and another turbo. I'm just going to run it for now as I want my car back lol

But I am hella excited for the bumper. The MSP bumper looks so much cleaner and the lip is absolutely perfect. Going to split the manifold and s and J pipes and list them for sale soon. Hoping to have the car up and running within a few weeks. Going to order another wastegate cause might as well. I also absolutely love the satin Mazda emblem. I need to see if there's a way for me to get the rear badge the same way

OdY6qZR.jpg

LtIspgF.jpg

rbEU9Uo.jpg

gZdrIaI.jpg

Latest posts

Back