Anyone notice..........

:
San Diego, CA
:
2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed
That all of the 2014 Mazda 3s in ads look like they were "dropped" about an inch to 1.5 inches?

2014-mazda-mazda3_100433088_l.jpg

2014-mazda-mazda3_100431649_l.jpg

Without a doubt, the 3 looks better when dropped, but really, why does Hyundai, Kia, and even Honda cars have smaller tire-to-fender gaps, right from the factory? Why do we have to spend extra cash to make our cars look like those in the ads?

Mazda, please reduce that gap!

Last edited:
why does Hyundai, Kia, and even Honda cars have smaller tire-to-fender gaps, right from the factory?
Do they?

27e6WZw.jpg

S4clHFc.jpg

Yeah, it's kind of cheesy that Mazda doctors their press photos like that, but the suspension setup is fine for everyday use. Plus, they'd have to mess with the suspension geometry and wheel offset if they lowered it, and those to things are great as is.

Well, I see many Hyundais, every day that look like this:
2013-hyundai-sonata-hybrid-photo-523418-s-1280x782.jpg

...and Elantras that look like this:

2014-hyundai-elantra-sedan-photo-540185-s-1280x782.jpg

Of course, Mercedes tend to look like:
2013-Mercedes-Benz-C-Class-778634-1-sm.jpg

as do Audis and BMWs, so why is it that they can achieve great handling with lower ride heights? Are they all finely-tuned coilover setups?

A coworker's Honda Civic (all-stock, not an Si) had a 12inch smaller gap than did my 3.

C250 Sport version is lowered 0.6" versus the C250 Luxury version by Mercedes. A majority of C-classes sold in US are "Sports".

2013 C250 Sport steel gray pic.jpg (C250 Sport Pkg PLUS which comes with 18" AMG wheels)

Last edited:
I have two neighbors who have Kia Optimas and clearly, their tire gaps are much smaller than the Mazda 3's.
Now, if many others doctor up their advertising, that is called "deceptive advertising" and is technically illegal.

It's kinda like showing photos of cars with wider tires than those that are equipped from the factory - deceptive.

I did have my 3 dropped, but it cost me $600. I told Mazda that they should've done that at the factory, at least as an option.

Last edited:
C250 Sport version is lowered 0.6" versus the C250 Luxury version by Mercedes. A majority of C-classes sold in US are "Sports".

View attachment 208440 (C250 Sport Pkg PLUS which comes with 18" AMG wheels)

Okay, let's ask Mazda to have an optional "Sport" suspension with a 1" drop. Charge $500 more for Eibachs or Swifts.

Now, if many others doctor up their advertising, that is called "deceptive advertising" and is technically illegal.
It isn't, because no claims about the wheel gap are made. In addition, the vehicle ground clearance is clearly stated in the specs on Mazda's website and in the brochure. And if you think that's bad, go to an auto show and look at all the Mercedes. They are all lowered more than they would be if you were to go buy one from the dealer. Mercedes has been doing this for decades.

Okay, let's ask Mazda to have an optional "Sport" suspension with a 1" drop. Charge $500 more for Eibachs or Swifts.
I would think they've looked into some kind of sport suspension and considered it as an option. Let's use the Eibach kit as an example. An Eibach pro kit is $300 directly from Eibach. Consider the cost of validating the components and making sure that the resulting suspension setup meets Mazda's internal standards. Now consider that Mazda has to buy additional components and keep them at the factory and in stock for warranty replacement, etc. And they have to make a profit. It's not going to cost $500 and considering what they projected the take rate on such an option would be, it's probably not worth their effort.

But I'm sure that whatever they put on the next Mazdaspeed3 will bolt right in...

Back