2021 Vs. 2019-2020 CX-9

A few bonuses I got with my purchase from this specific dealer (besides the 2 scratches LOL)

1. 10/100k complimentary powertrain warranty tho one could argue how useful it will be IF the cx9 has any big issues.

2. Free unlimited lifetime car washes in there drivethru carwash. I need to see if it's touchless tho as I prefer that as being a former detailer at a dealership back in my young days, those regular car washes with the big brushes leave all kinds of small swirls. We plan more snow trips now that kids are older and the dealer is actually on the way home from the snow so could actually make a detour and run thru the wash on the way home lol.

3. 2 year free maintenance, guess it's a President's day event. But I didn't get any paperwork on this...need to ask saleslady about that.

Like @tekbis said, consider this a minor hiccup in the grand scheme of things. The most important thing is that your wife is happy with it!

Now that I think about it, my 3 year old did leave a pretty good scratch on my 2019 Tahoe when it was 1 month old with her tiny bike. Oh man I was mad because it took me awhile to find that truck with the color/features I wanted. Luckily I was able to buff it out. 🤪

Got an update...sales lady asked if I want touch up paint to fix myself or have dealer fix it. I said when I come in for my full detail please have them fix scratches.

Kind of worried if they will respray the whole front bumper tho...I'm assuming maybe apply touch up paint then sand it down a bit and polish it up. I'll ask once I arrive. I may even go watch them at their bodyshop/detailing facility, why not? Lol

Also dealer customer relations emailed me to ask how was my experience/etc. I told her about the situation and left it at that, haven't heard back yet.

Also messing around with the suv, checking features etc....found OEM wheel lock container inside glove box. Went to check rims and sure enough they are on. Guess I got a freebie thrown in as I wasn't charged...unless mazda gives them out to all vehicles hmmm.

:
2021 CX-9 Sig
:
2014 CX-5 GT
Got an update...sales lady asked if I want touch up paint to fix myself or have dealer fix it. I said when I come in for my full detail please have them fix scratches.

Kind of worried if they will respray the whole front bumper tho...I'm assuming maybe apply touch up paint then sand it down a bit and polish it up. I'll ask once I arrive. I may even go watch them at their bodyshop/detailing facility, why not? Lol

Also dealer customer relations emailed me to ask how was my experience/etc. I told her about the situation and left it at that, haven't heard back yet.

You will get a dealer survey in about a week after you buy the car. This means a lot to the dealer so they should go the extra mile for you before you do that. Do not fill that out before you get it fixed and let them know you are waiting to do the survey so they should fix it quickly.

Morning folks. Got a reply and they will fix the scratches when they perform the full detail. One thing stuck out in her email:

"As for the re-detail it should take the whole day but if we do the repairs for the scratches it might take up to 1-2 days or so.
We can provide a loaner for you as well."

1-2 days leads me to believe the bumper and front hood plastic piece may be resprayed. If so I am a little hesitant due to color matching. What do you guys think?

:
2014 Ford Explorer Sport, 2009 CX9(Wife's)
Morning folks. Got a reply and they will fix the scratches when they perform the full detail. One thing stuck out in her email:

"As for the re-detail it should take the whole day but if we do the repairs for the scratches it might take up to 1-2 days or so.

1-2 days leads me to believe the bumper and front hood plastic piece may be resprayed. If so I am a little hesitant due to color matching. What do you guys think?

If done right, you won't be able to tell the difference.
But, I'd say don't take the car back until you are satisfied.
Make sure to inspect in different light (especially sun) and at different angles.

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature

My opinion - I'd be happy that they are fixing it properly and not just touching it up. A body shop will usually keep the vehicle for an extra day or two to allow the freshly repainted areas to cure a bit. Silver is generally an easier colour to match since it isn't a complex colour like the upcharged colours. I would suggest that if you let them do the repair, pick it up on a sunny day so you can see the colour match for yourself. Check the colour match in the sun, then drive it to a shaded area and check the colour match again.

Another suggestion - if you get a loaner, and you don't absolutely need a 3-row for those few days, ask for an AWD turbo 3 or an AWD turbo CX-5. That's just what I would do, so that I could sample more from Mazda's offerings :)

Sm1ke I think you were spot on earlier, they will do some sort of touch up paint then buff it out to make it flush with other paint, then do a full wax job. Just got this reply:

"Hi there,
It looks like the detail department will buff out the scratches for you.
I just had it approved to be buffed out and touched up."

Since these are minor scratches I'll be happy they are fixed. I did tell her simply buffing scratches won't work as they go down to black plastic, will need some sort of minor paint there first.

Monday 22nd is the date, will finally be able to post pics here lol.

I take my last reply back. She just replied again to say body shop will take a peak at it first then full detail will happen. Loaner will be given to me.

Either way it will be fixed. What I plan to do is go to the bodyshop and talk to whomever and ask what he thinks and how best it should be prepared.

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
Sm1ke I think you were spot on earlier, they will do some sort of touch up paint then buff it out to make it flush with other paint, then do a full wax job. Just got this reply:

"Hi there,
It looks like the detail department will buff out the scratches for you.
I just had it approved to be buffed out and touched up."

Since these are minor scratches I'll be happy they are fixed. I did tell her simply buffing scratches won't work as they go down to black plastic, will need some sort of minor paint there first.

Monday 22nd is the date, will finally be able to post pics here lol.

As long as the repair isn't that noticeable, you should be good to go.

It's been a bit of an ordeal, but we all know it'll be worth it in the end! :)

As long as the repair isn't that noticeable, you should be good to go.

It's been a bit of an ordeal, but we all know it'll be worth it in the end! :)

I am explaining to my wife the situation and she is like OMG they are tiny scratches stop stressing. LOL

Got the final reply from my customer relations person who finalized appt at 8am. I have to drop it off at their Detail/bodyshop place next to dealership and she set up a meeting with the detail manager who will go over the re-detail process and go over scratches with me.

I'm set guys. Thanks for calming my nerves and helpful advice.

Here is a quick pic pre detail. :) Told my wife she now gets the 2019 Tahoe there and the CX9 is now mine. Lol

Attachments

• 20210210_111757.jpg
    20210210_111757.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 69
I REALLY like the color! You just don’t see it in my neck of the woods.

My wife just took it out on a nice joy ride while I watched the kiddos. Said she'll be back in 15 minutes...turned out to be 1 hour lol.

She said she loves the color, gives off a nice hue at dusk.

I'll post some better pics once it's done at the dealer and waxed up.