2015 CX5 2.5 AWD Transmission took a dump

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
He may be planning to add it in as a supplemental inline air-cooled ...plumbed into lines attached to existing "coolant" based cooler.

Correct. The atf cooler runs coolant and is connected to the trans

:
2013 VRM Mazdaspeed3, 2016 Soul Red CX-5 GT
Sorry to hear about this. Hope you get it fixed soon.

I sort of remember in the past that you were driving the car with some fuses turned off? Something that allowed you to spin the rear tires to get some oversteer done? I wonder if that caused the problem with the transmission.

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA

I sort of remember in the past that you were driving the car with some fuses turned off? Something that allowed you to spin the rear tires to get some oversteer done? I wonder if that caused the problem with the transmission.
Chris_Top_Her was talking about removing the fuse for TCS. That should have nothing to do with his failed transmission. IMO the SkyActiv-Drive transmission is a little too fragile and we need to tread it kindly.

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD

You can spin tires with tcs off. Removing the fuse disables the abs/wheel braking component. The differentials/axles are good, it's something internal to the trans, and probably bearing related from the initial sound it made.

:
CX5 GT-R
Chris_Top_Her was talking about removing the fuse for TCS. That should have nothing to do with his failed transmission. IMO the SkyActiv-Drive transmission is a little too fragile and we need to tread it kindly.

I don't think it's so much fragile as a design with some flaws. It lives just fine behind 300+ torque. However, it also dies like a dog at 15K miles on a gasser. I think there is something amiss with it, but I don't really think fragility is the exact term.

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
I'd just call it hit and miss. Mine went at 85k. Others went at 15k. Scary part is my trans came from a 2014... but it's LKQ so it should be good. Trans should be here on the 18th. I mistakingly ordered a transfer case last week.

:
2013 CX-5 6MT
I'd just call it hit and miss. Mine went at 85k. Others went at 15k. Scary part is my trans came from a 2014... but it's LKQ so it should be good. Trans should be here on the 18th. I mistakingly ordered a transfer case last week.

are you swapping it in yourself or having a shop do it?

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Yep, "hit and miss" is the best to describe the Mazda quality and reliability ⋯ ;)

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
Looks like it should be done by a shop based on his previous post. But does the transmission still cost only $742 that should be the question for Chris_Top_Her?

Trans cost me 1040 shipped, 742 was for the wrongly ordered transfer unit.

Shop is doing it, just waiting for part to come in..

FsEM5Cr.jpg

dSK8b3s.jpg

:
Mazda CX5 2014
Would be keen to see some photos if you get the old one stripped down. My 2014 2.5lt Awd has started making some bearing noises from the passenger side of the transaxle. Thinking maybe I should strip it down now before it self restricts??

:
16 CX-5 Tour'ngAWD
were you able to drop the trans pan to see if there was any debris? did you notice if there was any debris in the rear case?

In the transmissions/drivelines that failed, was there a single culprit or theme or were the failures different for each failed transmission/driveline?

Just curious as I like to use the go pedal more than the wife, although, I think she secretly does her own "Italian tuneups" when both the kidd-o and I are not in the car. Any 'hammering" that is done is administered after all fluids are up to temp.