1990 B2600i 4x4 issues

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege, 1989 MX6, 1990 MX6
I have a 1990 B2600i 4x4 with a 5sp manual, I’ve had it for about 2 months. I thought that 4x4 was working because when I put it in 4Lo it seemed like it was crawling like it should.

Well last night we got a snow storm, and I got stuck and 4x4 was absolutely NOT working, but in 4L the gear range still changed but only the rear tires were spinning.

Later that night I started messing with it more, I pressed the RFW button probably 50 times, and slammed it into 4L and the lock light came on, but no 4x4 light. 4x4 does seem to be working now, I couldn’t get the rear end to spin like the previous night and I drove around in the snow for about 10min, however still no 4x4 light.
I’m afraid to unlock the hubs now that I got them locked and 4x4 supposedly engaged.

I’m not really sure what to do, I don’t have the mechanical expertise for that sort of stuff. It pretty much ends at changing spark plugs and oil.

I bought this for my 60mile commute to work in north Idaho over 4th of july pass. 4x4 is an absolute necessity for me.

Back