2009 Mazda5 Apple CarPlay Infotainment Update

b55er

2009 Mazda5 Sport AT
I just completed a major infotainment update my 2009 Mazda5 AT Sport.
I purchased a cheap Android 11 head unit that included a matching silver front fascia for a stock look. This was the best $140 I’ve spent on this vehicle and modernizes it for 2023 and beyond. Friends and family I’ve shown this to thought it was stock! Very bright, large 9-inch capacitive touch screen.

Very clean install and needed nothing that wasn’t included in the kit. Documentation was sparse, but I got all the functions working.. screen dim with headlights, steering wheel controls, etc. The kit included the radio surround and all cabling to make it work. Literally remove the old radio and slide this in. The only downsides are it took a bit of tweaking to get everything working correctly the way I wanted. The head unit supports wireless CarPlay/Android Auto but I couldn’t get the wireless part working reliably or smoothly, and I’d rather have a cable charge the phone instead of discharging. Another downside of this upgrade is loss of AM radio and CD player. The head unit has FM, and discovering what can be supplemented by streaming apps for local AM radio. The only thing I didn’t do was add the (included) rear camera as I am too lazy to route cabling though the headliner and into the hatch..

I’m very happy!

CarPlay with iPhone connected
IMG_0860.jpeg

I installed the TiVo app on the Android tablet, now I can watch live television (when parked)
70140779420__0CDDF485-4AAE-4BE0-8DDB-17CB45CB1FBA.jpeg
IMG_0180.jpeg

Or YouTube…
70147890911__8311A538-E9FE-4A1D-ACCD-5730D9AEF4FF.jpeg

There are two 8-inch USB-A female dongles that hang off the rear of unit. I routed the dongles down to the gearshift area. From there I plugged in a MFi certified Lightning cable and routed it out the side of the PNRD cover. The second USB port can be used for flash storage, LTE modem, or hardwired OBD (just about anything..) I leave it unused.

Looks like the device is back in stock and on sale $126.
If you can remove a Mazda5 radio (educate yourself from the YouTubes), you can really modernize the Mazda5.

Negatives:
Not expecting any support or updates. No practical setup instructions for steering wheel controls (had to figure it out). Lots of Android tweaking to get everything the way I wanted it. I suspect if you tinker/hack too much and need to replace installed apps, or OS, you may end up with a brick. I’d suggest leave all alone and add apps through the Google Play store.

A little on the slow pokey side using Android but usable. It reminds me of using a Amazon Fire tablet.

No AM radio or magnetometer (compass)

WiFi radio is poor (2.4 ghz only), but functional

CarPlay over wireless has performance issues and I don’t recommend using it.

iPhone 14 Pro charges slowly however I did not notice any discharge under heavy load.

A bit bright even with the brightness turned down at night; needed to use a 3rd party app to make it darker.

I think the amplifier of the stock unit may be better. Not sure and haven’t tweaked any of the audio settings much.

Plusses
Cheap! included everything needed to install into a 5. Fit and finish look like OEM.

CarPlay works well over a lightning cable. UI is as fast and as responsive as the iPhone connected to it.

Bright, colorful, glass capacitive screen, supports HD CarPlay (experimental)

Warm startup is about 30 seconds, cold about a minute

Recognizes headlights on and will dim display and buttons

FM radio works well, displays radio data

Graphic equalizer and sound enhancements

Built in mic

Hard reset switch on front panel

Easy to add customizable skins

Android Auto and Google Play Store support

Last edited:
So I ordered one last night for $136. When I looked just a min ago there is now a $20 coupon so I cancelled and reordered this morning.

I will be using Android Auto.

My plan is to put one of the USB ports where the line in Jack is next to the power port. But I may need an extension for that.

I hope it will run torque and forscsn.

As far as sound quality, I plan on new speakers. That usually helps and at 13 years old factory speakers are usually done for.

Where did you mount the GPS antenna and the backup camera?

I mounted the GPS antenna behind the clock plastic on the dash.

I didn’t do the rear camera. Too much work to get into the hatch.

You may need a 1ft USB A extension to reach the aux port area.

I don’t see why it wouldn’t run those OBD apps.

Good luck with the install!

Hi everybody. I'm new here, even though I've owned a UK spec Mazda 5 Sport for 13 years.

I've also recently bought an Android Head Unit, but i have a problem connecting the steering wheel controls. The connector fits fine, but there are two wires which are loose, key 1 and key 2. I've been told by the manufacturer 'The key wire should connect to your car's steering wheel control wire'.

Would anybody be able to give me some advice on what i can do to enable steering wheel controls?

6e41b747-44b0-42f2-b811-54c7e39aa720.__CR0,0,300,300_PT0_SX300_V1___.png

The unit I purchased had no such wire. It was literally unplug the old unit, replug the new unit. It receives its data from CAN. There are settings that need to be set to map steering wheel buttons to functions. There were no instructions on how to set the steering wheel controls. However I noticed on the Amazon listing this screenshot and I figured out where these settings were and mapped buttons to functions.

Hi everybody. I'm new here, even though I've owned a UK spec Mazda 5 Sport for 13 years.

I've also recently bought an Android Head Unit, but i have a problem connecting the steering wheel controls. The connector fits fine, but there are two wires which are loose, key 1 and key 2. I've been told by the manufacturer 'The key wire should connect to your car's steering wheel control wire'.

Would anybody be able to give me some advice on what i can do to enable steering wheel controls?
Check out this thread: Need 2015 Mazda5 Sport stock stereo head unit wiring diagram

6e41b747-44b0-42f2-b811-54c7e39aa720.__CR0,0,300,300_PT0_SX300_V1___.png

The unit I purchased had no such wire. It was literally unplug the old unit, replug the new unit. It receives its data from CAN. There are settings that need to be set to map steering wheel buttons to functions. There were no instructions on how to set the steering wheel controls. However I noticed on the Amazon listing this screenshot and I figured out where these settings were and mapped buttons to functions.
I've got a similar Head Unit, (judging by your screenshot). I assume that they've sent me the wrong Plug or the key 1 wire should have been wired into the plug.

Looks like the device is back in stock and on sale $126.
If you can remove a Mazda5 radio (educate yourself from the YouTubes), you can really modernize the Mazda5.

Negatives:
Not expecting any support or updates. No practical setup instructions for steering wheel controls (had to figure it out). Lots of Android tweaking to get everything the way I wanted it. I suspect if you tinker/hack too much and need to replace installed apps, or OS, you may end up with a brick. I’d suggest leave all alone and add apps through the Google Play store.

A little on the slow pokey side using Android but usable. It reminds me of using a Amazon Fire tablet.

No AM radio or magnetometer (compass)

WiFi radio is poor (2.4 ghz only), but functional

CarPlay over wireless has performance issues and I don’t recommend using it.

iPhone 14 Pro charges slowly however I did not notice any discharge under heavy load.

A bit bright even with the brightness turned down at night; needed to use a 3rd party app to make it darker.

I think the amplifier of the stock unit may be better. Not sure and haven’t tweaked any of the audio settings much.

Plusses
Cheap! included everything needed to install into a 5. Fit and finish look like OEM.

CarPlay works well over a lightning cable. UI is as fast and as responsive as the iPhone connected to it.

Bright, colorful, glass capacitive screen, supports HD CarPlay (experimental)

Warm startup is about 30 seconds, cold about a minute

Recognizes headlights on and will dim display and buttons

FM radio works well, displays radio data

Graphic equalizer and sound enhancements

Built in mic

Hard reset switch on front panel

Easy to add customizable skins

Android Auto and Google Play Store support
Looks nice! I've been debatting one of these for a long while. These are common 9" Android headunits that come in a few different size/shape and MANY different specs. The kit just includes the bezel, which you can google "Mazda 5 android frame" to make your own setup. With all things tech, YGWYPF. The cheap ones lack decent amp, DSP (very important for sound), RAM/ROM, and chipset speed (google the chip name + smartphone to see what phone uses it to gauge speed -don't' expect the latest phones). On better spec units, the warm startup time should be seconds to almost immediate (think sleep mode), IIRC within 8 or 10hr restart.

Note, I am not endorsing any of these, just FYI on options. I personally don't like the models that come in tablet housing vs single DIN housing b/c summer heat is a killer.

Equivalent kit (1GB/16RAM BUT Android 10) for $77.04 shipped.

Mazda 5 9" Android Frame

Wider screen

Tesla Wannabe

Cheap to Expensive

Attachments

• AndroidHeadunit.jpg
    AndroidHeadunit.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Unfortunately, I don’t believe the AUX port works out of the box. I didn’t try as my phone connects via USB.

There are RCA input/outputs on the back of the head unit. Should be easy to wire it to AUX.

Looks nice! I've been debatting one of these for a long while. These are common 9" Android headunits that come in a few different size/shape and MANY different specs. The kit just includes the bezel, which you can google "Mazda 5 android frame" to make your own setup. With all things tech, YGWYPF. The cheap ones lack decent amp, DSP (very important for sound), RAM/ROM, and chipset speed (google the chip name + smartphone to see what phone uses it to gauge speed -don't' expect the latest phones). On better spec units, the warm startup time should be seconds to almost immediate (think sleep mode), IIRC within 8 or 10hr restart.

Note, I am not endorsing any of these, just FYI on options. I personally don't like the models that come in tablet housing vs single DIN housing b/c summer heat is a killer.

Equivalent kit (1GB/16RAM BUT Android 10) for $77.04 shipped.

Mazda 5 9" Android Frame

Wider screen
the
Tesla Wannabe

Cheap to Expensive
I saw the Tesla Wannabe during my research. Poor design as it will cover the LCD cluster and hazard switch above the radio.

For adding this tablet in the car, for me, it transformed the user experience. Before, I was using a iPhone in a ProClip Mazda5 mount (best I’ve used in the Mazda), and Amazon Echo Auto plugged into the AUX, I Bluetoothed the phone to the Echo Auto, and my phone was connected to the audio system. Dual USB lighter powered the Echo and even though I tried to keep things tucked away, wires everywhere near the aux/lighter.

Now I just have 1 cable to connect and get the full power of a flagship phone on the screen. That’s all I really need out of this device. I find I don’t use the native tablet apps. The tablet is a bit pokey, slow WLAN. I hotspot it to my iPhone when I want data connect. I installed Google offline maps within 1k miles of my home as a nav backup. All my UI interactions are through CarPlay over USB and the touchscreen is pretty responsive and I don’t have any qualms about display performance.

I could see myself wanting a faster tablet. I look at it this way, at $130something I’m over the moon of the increased functionality in every aspect. In two years (and 30k more miles) I could buy a 2025 model to easily update it..

I got my install mostly fine this weekend. Here are my outstanding issues.

1. Backup camera - I decided to order a surface mount camera to put in the back bumper instead of running wiring through the liftgate. Also, I finally figured out what wire is A6 referred to in the instructions after everything was put together.

2. Climate controls - they are a little loose behind the radio surround panel.

3. Edit the home screen - I would like to change the default apps but not sure how to remove the ones there.

4. Add front facing camera - I have an extra now, why not. Need to decide on internal or external.

5. USB ports - Currently I added a double port where the 12v port was. I want to put the power port back and move the USB somewhere else, just need to decide where on the dash.

6. AUX port - Need to wire the existing aux port to the RCA inputs on the back.

For 2 & 3 above:

2: I had the same problem. After assembly grab the rotating climate dials and pull toward you. They will ‘click’ and the climate control module will snap in.

3: you will need to use a 3rd party skin. Many are free, some are a couple of bucks.

1. Great choice! Running camera wire through the liftgate of the 2007-2009 Mazda 5 is much much much harder compared to the 2012-2015 Mazda 5.
3. Did you check what is available on play marker? Check this out: Car Launcher Pro. Also, there are like one thousand hundred million different Chinese launchers and mods on the fan forum, i.e., check this out.
4. Why not add a dash camera instead?
5. A great place would be right under the cupholder. IMO, this is much better if you don't need to constantly change the USB keys. I feed the USB plug under the cup holders and keep it all there.
6. From what I remember, the connector for the AUX port is integrated with the wiring harness, so, you'll probably have to solder something together...

Also, for the backup navigation, I can recommend maps.me app - it's free, you can download all the maps you'll need and it only required GPS to work, no internet connection is needed other than for downloading the maps.

Update

1. Flush mount camera was the wrong format. Mounted the original camera on the bottom of the bumper next to the hitch for protection.

2. Done.

3. Pending, can't find what I like

4. Can't find dash Cam app that my cheap unit will run. And have to mount the flush mount camera somewhere in the front bumper.

5. Pending

6. Done

Back