Mazda Canada CX-90 Trim Details

Yeah but I am not interested in any of that. PHEV will be a nightmare to own on such a big car. If you look at the CX60 forum in Europe, you will understand why.

I was interested in the I6 MHEV, however I am having a hard time swallowing this big prices with some "common" features that are available only on Signature trim.

Agree with you. 360 Camera, while is nice, don't really care, so having the regular one is a plus. However I would much rather have the 12" and instrument cluster in detriment of 360 camera and some other stuff.

I really do hope for the CX70 release they will come with better package options.
I've been doing so much reading and talking on the CX90 that I am sometimes forgetting the CX70 is the one I am planning on getting. haha.

I think Mazda remains on trend with their habits of offering less in their vehicle compared to the competition. Not saying it isn’t dissapointing, but it was the same with the CX-9. The 2016 CX-9 had a pretty abysimal standard equipment list compared with the competition at the time.

I was impressed on how much they added since. I guess that is « planned upgrade ».

Last edited:
I think Mazda remains on trend with their habits of offering less in their vehicle compared to the competition. Not saying it isn’t dissapointing, but it was the same with the CX-9. The 2016 CX-9 had a pretty abysimal standard equipment list compared with the competition at the time.

I was impressed on how much they added since. I guess that is « planned upgrade ».

Don't agree with that. The offered a greater level of safety features as compared to all the competitors.

If you mean the i-active features they were an extra package on everything except the GT and signature.

Features like the Radar cruise control, blind spot monitoring, had been around for a while (they were available on my 2011 Ford Edge). The CX-9 didn’t even have apple carplay / android auto capability until the 2019 model year. The infotainment system (although great for his time when it came out) was the same fielded on the mazda 3 a few years before. And it stayed the same until 2021? The heated steering wheel only came in on 2018 i think. Mazda is still one of the only manufacturers not to offer lane centering.

I love Mazda, but they have very rarely been on the forefront of interior accessory compared to others. (kia and Hyundai are always the best equipped for the price, but often at the cost of quality.).

All I am saying is don’t expect Mazda to win the crown of the most equipped model for the price. It is not their business model. But I agree it should at least match the equipment in the current CX-9. (No ventilated seat in the GT is pretty odd since they are present on the CX-9.)

If you mean the i-active features they were an extra package on everything except the GT and signature.

Features like the Radar cruise control, blind spot monitoring, had been around for a while (they were available on my 2011 Ford Edge). The CX-9 didn’t even have apple carplay / android auto capability until the 2019 model year. The infotainment system (although great for his time when it came out) was the same fielded on the mazda 3 a few years before. And it stayed the same until 2021? The heated steering wheel only came in on 2018 i think. Mazda is still one of the only manufacturers not to offer lane centering.

I love Mazda, but they have very rarely been on the forefront of interior accessory compared to others. (kia and Hyundai are always the best equipped for the price, but often at the cost of quality.).

All I am saying is don’t expect Mazda to win the crown of the most equipped model for the price. It is not their business model. But I agree it should at least match the equipment in the current CX-9. (No ventilated seat in the GT is pretty odd since they are present on the CX-9.)
I was playing with the infotainment in a Genesis GV70 at my dealer last week...yeeesh. It's a busy system. I know I could most likely get used to it but I don't really have much issue with Mazda's latest system (not including the factory Nav which is rendered basically useless while driving due to safeguards-the voice recognition is NOT useful). I think the new UI is very nice and the screen resolution and black levels are great. The touchy subject (womp womp) is the touch screen functionality which I think Mazda will just end up eating crow on. I am more than happy using the controller thingy as I don't want finger prints on my screen.

Speaking of the GV70...It's certainly more modern/trendy than my CX5 but the interior materials, etc...are easily comparable. It was a base GV70 so it didn't even have a sunroof but it made me appreciate my CX5 even more.

Lane centering is now available for NA market CX-90s.

The heated steering wheel was one of the main reasons I ended up in a new 2018 vs a used 2017 lol. It gets cold over here 😅

Agree.

I also am a lot more forgiving of all this the more I dig into the CX9 cylinder head issue.

If this thing handles, I'll overlook any nitpicks and dump my CX9 for any level with the big boy engine.

Was looking at the build feature and using the 360 view. The rear bumper, or lack of, really does make that tailgate a potential point of contact. I mean, obviously one shouldn't be backing into anything even with the bumper, but I wonder if one did back up say into a wall in a parking garage, what would hit first?

Or if a similar vehicle without a rear bumper were to back into you, would the contact be a body part rather than bumper to bumper?

Not a deal breaker for me, but just a thing I noticed.

Was looking at the build feature and using the 360 view. The rear bumper, or lack of, really does make that tailgate a potential point of contact. I mean, obviously one shouldn't be backing into anything even with the bumper, but I wonder if one did back up say into a wall in a parking garage, what would hit first?

Or if a similar vehicle without a rear bumper were to back into you, would the contact be a body part rather than bumper to bumper?

Not a deal breaker for me, but just a thing I noticed.
CX9 is same setup. It seems to be common these days unfortunately.

1677894269968.png

1677894164027.png

CX9 is same setup. It seems to be common these days unfortunately.

Yeah unfortunately bumpers are not really bumpers anymore (at least the way they used to be). Cars used to have metal and plastic bumpers. Then they switched to rubber bumpers. Then to plastic bumpers because they made the cars look nicer. With all the cameras and low-speed emergency warning and braking systems, manufacturers might assume that we don't need "bumpers" for accidental bumps anymore. So now they're just plastic covers.

Both the CX-5 and CX-60 still seem to have a bit of a bumper, but the CX-9 and CX-90 do not.

The bumper concept is dead. It is mostly there for aesthetic now when it is.

I saw a pathfinder the other day, and they even made the bottom of the rear hatch bulge out to form the “top of the bumper”.

1677945137528.jpeg

1677945004567.jpeg

The bumper concept is dead. It is mostly there for aesthetic now when it is.

I saw a pathfinder the other day, and they even made the bottom of the rear hatch bulge out to form the “top of the bumper”.

View attachment 317496
View attachment 317495
Not gonna lie, I've been looking at a lot of Pathfinder photos lately. Obviously doesn't drive like a CX9 but priced nicely and tows well. I'm coming around on the looks. Every day I think maybe I'm better off dumping the problem of the cylinder head.

Not gonna lie, I've been looking at a lot of Pathfinder photos lately. Obviously doesn't drive like a CX9 but priced nicely and tows well. I'm coming around on the looks. Every day I think maybe I'm better off dumping the problem of the cylinder head.

My brother-in-law is currently driving a new Pathfinder for his company vehicle. It's a lot nicer inside and out compared to the previous gen. They also ditched the problematic CVT!

My brother-in-law is currently driving a new Pathfinder for his company vehicle. It's a lot nicer inside and out compared to the previous gen. They also ditched the problematic CVT!
Yes, that was a no go for me before. Have a CRV with CVT and it's considered a good version and still I regret it every time I drive it.

I havent driven a Pathfinder but read it does tend to need a heavy foot to get it really going quick, sort of opposite to the 9. Going from the touch the gas and go, to something where you need to floor it, would potentially be frustrating. Same deal with the Infiniti. Overall drives much better than the prev gen, but still not a 7 seater one can toss about.

But the value proposition is there, for ex a QX60 upper trim is easily less than an MDX, and in range of the CX90 top trim.

For me that would be the competition to a CX90. If push comes to shove, could I pay CX90 prices after what I might go thru with my CX9, over an Infiniti?

Based on the HP/Torque specs of the top trims with Regular vs Premium gas, owners may just want to stick with regular as there is very little drop in performance. Torque stays the same while HP drops by only 20.

Seems heavy. 4900lbs for the I6, 5170lbs for the PHEV. Also i-stop :confused:
PHEV recommends premium, but using regular is only a marginal drop in power.
For the I6 340hp version, using 87 instead of 93 means you get 319hp instead of 340hp.
Signature gets "Entry/Exit Assist".. this is one of the creature comforts I missed from my previous car.

I-stop is one feature I wish we could disable. I haven’t seen any mention of Cylinder Deactivation, so at least they didn’t implement that.

I-stop is one feature I wish we could disable. I haven’t seen any mention of Cylinder Deactivation, so at least they didn’t implement that.

There is a 3rd party module that can be purchased and installed for some other models, I'm sure that they will eventually make one for the new models. The module disables i-stop so that you don't have to keep turning it off every time you start the car.

So the new CX-90 is anywhere from 300-500 lbs heavier than the CX-9. That might make the overall performance of the "regular" inline 6 similar to the current CX-9 on premium.

Back