Will the CX-90 PHEV be gutless?

:
2016 cx9
Do we have the specs on the PHEV yet?
I am wondering if it will be similar to the Kia Sorento? The Sorento has 90HP when in electric mode.
If that is the case with the CX-90 I'll take a hard pass. Thanks!

Most specs have been out for a couple of weeks, but I think we're still waiting on PHEV fuel economy. I think EV range was stated to be about 22 miles?

Kia Sorento PHEV has 261hp/258tq and uses a 1.6L turbo 4cyl and a 6-speed transmission.
Mazda CX-90 PHEV has 323hp/369tq and uses a 2.5L turbo 4cyl engine and an 8-speed transmission.

I would guess that the CX-90 will be nothing like the Sorento, especially with Mazda's reputation for building cars that are driver-centric.

In any case, I would wait to test drive it before making any decisions. The CX-9 makes 227hp and 310tq from a 2.5L turbo 4cyl and a 6-speed and I'm 100% sure I'd choose it over a Kia Sorento PHEV any day.

Last edited:
It's probably a hair under 7 seconds 0-60 when the battery is charged.

If the battery is dead, it's a 10+ second 0-60 car. Fortunately, it's a hybrid and charges itself under braking, so this should never occur unless you take it to the drag strip and beat the crap out of it.

In pure EV mode, 0-60 will be 10+ seconds, too. The curb weight is 5250 pounds.

Most specs have been out for a couple of weeks, but I think we're still waiting on PHEV fuel economy. I think EV range was stated to be about 22 miles?

Kia Sorento PHEV has 261hp/258tq and uses a 1.6 turbo 4cyl and a 6-speed transmission.
Mazda CX-90 PHEV has 323hp/369tq (with the recommended premium fuel), and uses a 3.3L inline 6cyl engine and an 8-speed transmission.

I would guess that the CX-90 will be nothing like the Sorento, especially with Mazda's reputation for building cars that are driver-centric.

In any case, I would wait to test drive it before making any decisions. The CX-9 makes 227hp and 310tq from a 2.5L turbo 4cyl and a 6-speed and I'm 100% sure I'd choose it over a Kia Sorento PHEV any day.
The CX-90 PHEV has the same setup as the CX-60 in Europe: the 2.5L inline 4 with 189 hp and a 173 hp elecric motor for the combined 323 hp.

The CX-90 PHEV has the same setup as the CX-60 in Europe: the 2.5L inline 4 with 189 hp and a 173 hp elecric motor for the combined 323 hp.

Oops, my mistake! Nice catch.

The CX-60 PHEV is also rated to have a range of 38miles, which sort of make me hopeful the CX-90 PHEV range will be noticeably more than rumored 22 miles.

The CX-60 PHEV is also rated to have a range of 38miles, which sort of make me hopeful the CX-90 PHEV range will be noticeably more than rumored 22 miles.
Someone found the Canadian CX-90 PHEV documentation saying 37km (22.99 miles), so the 21 miles on the reveal videos shown in the dash of the PHEV seems accurate unfortunately. Wondering what the real world MPGe will be for local driving. Also wondering if highway power will be lousy for passing or uphill on interstate highways with just the 2.5 l engine power if battery doesn't help at highway speeds. Guess we will know more when tested in 2 to 3 months.

If the battery is dead, it's a 10+ second 0-60 car. Fortunately, it's a hybrid and charges itself under braking, so this should never occur unless you take it to the drag strip and beat the crap out of it.

What? Isn't that like Tahoe heft?

You can get a feeling of the power in theses videos, I know it's the CX-60 so it's not as heavy.
The videos are in German, so put auto translate on ;-)
There are 3 videos, one with 0-100 km/h acceleration, one with 60-100 km/h + 80-120 km/h and one with 0-80 km/h while towing a 2,500 kg. trailer (max. towing weight).

You can get a feeling of the power in theses videos, I know it's the CX-60 so it's not as heavy.
There are 3 videos, one with 0-100 km/h acceleration, one with 60-100 km/h + 80-120 km/h and one with 0-80 km/h while towing a 2,500 kg. trailer (max. towing weight).

Thanks for posting. It helps to know that the CX-90 PHEV is supposed to be "tuned for North America", so we'll see how different it is when all the first drive review videos start making their way on to YouTube.

Where did you find the curb weight spec?

It's in the powertrain and mechanical section. 5243 pounds.

The non-phev version is listed at 4709 or 4899 depending on the trim, which is considerably heavier than the current 4400ish pound curb weight.

Those videos confirm my suspicions. In normal mode, the 600ish pound heavier CX-90 will get to 60 in around 7 seconds given that the CX-60 does it in the low 6s.

In EV mode, the CX-60 was clocking in at 12+ seconds. The CX-90 won't be any faster, let's just leave it at that.

I don’t think it will be fast, but the instant torque of the electric motor may make it feel sufficient around town in EV only mode.

Also wondering if highway power will be lousy for passing or uphill on interstate highways with just the 2.5 l engine power if battery doesn't help at highway speeds.
In normal driving mode, the battery should be able to help even at highway speed because the electric motor is in line with the engine and the transmission. This means the electric motor won’t be speed limited (i.e it turns at the same speed as the engine rpm, not the wheel speed). In that case the electric motor will have the same output in second gear at 20 mph than in 7th gear at 70 mph if the RPM is the same.
M

The reviews are indicating the PHEV model is not much slower than the i6 in 0-60. Overall, they are liking the PHEV option a lot. One reviewer had 26.8 miles of EV before it switched to gas only - so not bad range. Removed part about 15% left - that was wrong.

Last edited:
The reviews are indicating the PHEV model is not much slower than the i6 in 0-60. Overall, they are liking the PHEV option a lot. One reviewer had 26.9 miles in EV mode and still around 15% left, so 27 miles of EV range seems about what it can handle.
I saw that, which is not so much a credit to the PHEV as it is a big question as to why this thing with 340 some odd HP isn't a rocket off the line.

I saw that, which is not so much a credit to the PHEV as it is a big question as to why this thing with 340 some odd HP isn't a rocket off the line.

It's heavy. 340 hp pushing 4700-4900 pounds isn't going to produce bragging rights type numbers.

It's heavy. 340 hp pushing 4700-4900 pounds isn't going to produce bragging rights type numbers.

I guess. The heft would be fine if it had more useable space, so I'm starting to wonder what the benefit is to the pounds to offset the negative of hindering the HP.

Back