Maz Nav SD Map Version downlevel for 2021-2023 CX-5 TD2K66EZ1A

rbender

2022 CX-5 CE
We recently purchased a 2022 CX-5 CE and wanted to get a NAV SD. I decided on latest 2021-2023 SD offered by Maz Nav store. Theirs run about double the price of the Amazon versions, but seem to have better customer support.

Received the SD within 3days and like everyone else has stated, it was as easy as turn off car, plug in SD and turn car back on and the navigation view and menus were there. Being that this is a CE, with Type C dash, what we will actually see, but I wanted the native nav option for my wife who is the primary driver.

As I said, everything looked good. My only concern is when I look at Map version information it shows “2020 Q2 20CW49”.
1676505434134.png

Should the version level be 2022 or higher ? I selected the higher price NAV SD for the newer/latest map level(s)

I have sent this information to Maz Nav asking if this looks correct and maybe I was sent an SD with the incorrect Map Version. Will update once they respond.

Was curious what map version others that have purchased a NAV SD recently show running.

The most recent maps for your vehicle were released in March 2022 but the map database version is Q2 2021 (2021 Q2 22CW02). So you are either one or two releases behind.

The most recent maps for your vehicle were released in March 2022 but the map database version is Q2 2021 (2021 Q2 22CW02). So you are either one or two releases behind.
Thank you for feedback ThunderDump.

I did not know the map database versions lagged that much. I understand the NAV SD 3rd party suppliers may not have access to the latest map versions, but thought it would be more recent.

Received feedback from vendor support:
Glad to hear you are up and running.

TD2K66EZ1A is the latest version Mazda has available. Map updates are always 12-18 months old to allow time for the data to be generated, the cards to be produced, and distributed to dealers. Covid seems to have slowed this process down more than usual.

We are expecting the next version (TD2K66EZ1B) any time now and the map snap shot will be Q2 2021.
Darn, if I had known, I could have waited till new map version was released to purchase TD2K66EZ1B !

Just another one of those “Live and Learn” moments.

New to Mazda, actually new to auto Nav systems.

Learning as I go, and now I know a little bit more ;)

Thanks for the feedback.

To make OP feel a bit better ...
My '22 CX-5 Turbo made at end of 2021 came with map of 2019 Q4...
Older than yours.

Received feedback from vendor support:

Darn, if I had known, I could have waited till new map version was released to purchase TD2K66EZ1B !

Just another one of those “Live and Learn” moments.
You can always for free, download Mazda update Toolbox to your PC, and create yourself as a user, then the SD is taken from the car and insert in PC and updated to the latest version at all times for the next 3 years, all for free, and you can even make your own backup copy of SD.

Easy to find a Youtube video showing you how it is done.
You can always for free, download Mazda update Toolbox to your PC, and create yourself as a user, then the SD is taken from the car and insert in PC and updated to the latest version at all times for the next 3 years, all for free, and you can even make your own backup copy of SD.

Reactions: BWJ
True, if you buy a dealership $$$ card. If you get one off eBay/Amazon though, they are clones. When you try the toolbox update it will discover the fake and not update it. Also, you will then be blacklisted and not be able to update ANY card again.

Thank you.
I have read about the Mazda update Toolbox and how to use it to backup/restore and update maps.

On MAZ Nav site they state that now with the changes Mazda has made to the update Toolbox, will not allow the Non-Mazda purchased NAV SDs to update.

I'm still waiting on my wife to put more then 65miles on it so the VIN# gets burned in. Then I plan on giving the Toolbox a go to just see what happens.

Just to be safe I made a backup of the new SD to PC prior to using. I know restoring that backup to another SD probably will not work cause of CID issues. I plan on making a another backup after the VIN# burn in before messing with the Mazda update toolbox.

I have seen mention of using AOMEI to create the backups, but I used a USB imaging tool that was referenced in a thread that I can not find again. But here is link if anyone is interested. alex's coding playground » USB Image Tool

I checked the site and the site and app with VirusTotal site and all was clean.

The app allowed me to backup entire SD to an img file on PC. Then I test wrote the backup out to a new SD and once done, the two SDs looked identical down to the partition size and remaining free space. Again, I know the copy probably won't work due to SD CID, but I just wanted some other way to back it up if the Toolbox didn't want to play nice.

How to Find the Map Version of Mazda GPS/Navigation?

I spent time trying to find map version.
With newer GPS system, this info is right there under Navigation-> Manu -> Travel Information -> About.
With older GPS system on my '16 Mazda6 and '14 Mazda3... this info is nowhere to be found.

I pulled the SD card and plugged it into the PC.
It is under
<content> -> <DbVersion.zip>
d-click the .zip file to unzip it.
There is a info.ini file in the folder.
Open it by d-clicking it.
You can see
cpn_nng="HMNA2013Q4"
This is the version of the map. This came with my '16 Mazda6.

I bought a SD card a few months ago from Am*n.com.
I also checked it today.
It has:
cpn_nng="MHNA2019Q4".

My '22 CX-5 Turbo did not come with a GPS SD card.
I also got one for it from Am*n.com last year (2022). Same version (not surprising).

In summary, you can find the map version as I described above by checking the SD card.
The SD cards they sell recently on Am*n.com have 2019Q4 map.

There is a new version of map, which is 2021Q2.
According to MazdaUSA, a new map arrives every 12-18 months.
We can expect a new one coming (2022Q4 or 2023Q2). (or is it already available?)
(seems to me, they like to release map on Q2 or Q4)

Just to share with you my recent findings.

Last edited:
True, if you buy a dealership $$$ card. If you get one off eBay/Amazon though, they are clones. When you try the toolbox update it will discover the fake and not update it. Also, you will then be blacklisted and not be able to update ANY card again.
That is incorrect! I bought my card from Amazon and it works without any problems. I Just updated the map half an hour ago. Clone or not, it works as advertised.

Some people reported problems with updating. Others did not.
They do work well for me. All three of them.

Thank you.
I have read about the Mazda update Toolbox and how to use it to backup/restore and update maps.

On MAZ Nav site they state that now with the changes Mazda has made to the update Toolbox, will not allow the Non-Mazda purchased NAV SDs to update.

I'm still waiting on my wife to put more then 65miles on it so the VIN# gets burned in. Then I plan on giving the Toolbox a go to just see what happens.

Just to be safe I made a backup of the new SD to PC prior to using. I know restoring that backup to another SD probably will not work cause of CID issues. I plan on making a another backup after the VIN# burn in before messing with the Mazda update toolbox.

I have seen mention of using AOMEI to create the backups, but I used a USB imaging tool that was referenced in a thread that I can not find again. But here is link if anyone is interested. alex's coding playground » USB Image Tool

I checked the site and the site and app with VirusTotal site and all was clean.

The app allowed me to backup entire SD to an img file on PC. Then I test wrote the backup out to a new SD and once done, the two SDs looked identical down to the partition size and remaining free space. Again, I know the copy probably won't work due to SD CID, but I just wanted some other way to back it up if the Toolbox didn't want to play nice.
I did the same with my afternarket card and the clone sort of worked, but when I tried to enter an address the GPS wouldn't show any results.

Update.
After 145 miles on the new OEM NAV card tried to update with Mazda Toolbox. Nope, as expected, but was hoping for otherwise.
Looked at card on PC and I can see a new folder and file. One of which I was able to see our VIN#
Toolbox knows not Mazda NAV card. Tried multiple times like someone else recommended.

It was worth a shot.

Well, Crap ! I guess it's time to tell the wife we need to drop off the grid .... ;)
If I would be you, I'd try an SD card from Amazon first. If it works, you save 400$, if it doesn't, you lose 50$ plus 400$. 😎

If I would be you, I'd try an SD card from Amazon first. If it works, you save 400$, if it doesn't, you lose 50$ plus 400$. 😎
I did. From Maz Naz. It was double in cost of Amazon. Wasn't sure about the Amazon quality. The Nav SD works fine. Was hoping to be able to update like some others that have reported being able to with the OEM cards. Nope, was not able to update cause it was flagged. Not surprised.

Will get a newer one in a couple years for updated map.

Back