Anyone riding on 20" CrossClimate2 GT Tires?

I'm shopping around for a new set to help improve the ride and have me better prepared for the coming winter. I see a lot of positive reviews for these in the CX-5 forum, and only suggestions for it in the CX-9 threads. Worse is that the lone review for the CX-9 at TireRack is of a person that regretted purchasing CC's.

I'm hoping that someone here, also riding on a CX-9 with 20's can share their experience and opinion.

Thanks in advance!

I'm shopping around for a new set to help improve the ride and have me better prepared for the coming winter. I see a lot of positive reviews for these in the CX-5 forum, and only suggestions for it in the CX-9 threads. Worse is that the lone review for the CX-9 at TireRack is of a person that regretted purchasing CC's.

I'm hoping that someone here, also riding on a CX-9 with 20's can share their experience and opinion.

Thanks in advance!
I have a CX-5 and not a CX9 and am running Firestone destination AT 16 inch tires that work great. Had switched from19 inch to 16 inch which greatly improved the ride.

we've had the cross climates on another vehicle and they worked great on that car.

You shouldn't put too much weight into one sole opinion. The review of multiple other users regardless of the car maker/model is what matters.

The CC2 should work fine for grip in most conditions.

However what do you mean by "improve your ride" ??
If you are looking to make your ride less bumpy and more comfortable, switching tire brands will not do that. You need more sidewall and should consider moving to 18 inch tires. Smaller thinner tires with more sidewall is also better for winter driving.

Both Nokian and Michelin snow tires work great.

Why not get some 18 inch rims and 18 inch snow tires ?

Last edited:
Smaller thinner tires with more sidewall is also better for winter driving.
The thought used to be that narrower tires, usually the narrowest listed in the original equipment options, would bite deeper into the snow. Instead, it has been found that the wider tires get a better bite on the snow with more sipes across the wide width of the contact patch gripping the snow. So...stick with the original tire width, but switch to a smaller wheel diameter and taller sidewall if one wishes, again all within the original tire size options. The CX-9 problem is that there are few tire choices in our 18" size. 17" wheels work well with 245/65-17 tires...245, 'cuz they fit the 17" wheels I already had. The outside diameter is just slightly greater than original, within the 2% diameter allowance usually accepted.

With the Signature, it came with 20s. I use to do the whole “winter switch out”, but would prefer to avoid that this time.

Reading reviews on the CC2 - I was looking for something that improved comfort and road noise, at least compared to the Falkens.

I’ll keep exploring and keep the forum posted. Thank you all.

I am set to have my Cross Climate's installed tomorrow morning. I have 20K miles on my Bridgestone Ecopias and I'm not going through another winter with them. The first winter with the car I slid around in 2inches of snow and curbed both wheels on the driver side. I might as well have been on skis.

With the Signature, it came with 20s. I use to do the whole “winter switch out”, but would prefer to avoid that this time.

Reading reviews on the CC2 - I was looking for something that improved comfort and road noise, at least compared to the Falkens.

Can't guide on the quietest all-season tires.

I'm currently running
Firestone destination AT2 all-terrains which are very highway quiet for an all-terrain.

As far as ride, just switch out rims and get 17(if they'll fit) or 18 inchers. Size is gonna affect comfort more so than tire brand. I went down 3 sizes from 19 to 16 on a CX-5 to get the ride quality preferred and will never go back.

Priortized for comfort:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=CSTAS&sortValue=20#ratingsSort

For some reason the CrossClimate2 didn't show on that chart. Here's the ratings:
1668890120128.png

Last edited:
I am set to have my Cross Climate's installed tomorrow morning. I have 20K miles on my Bridgestone Ecopias and I'm not going through another winter with them. The first winter with the car I slid around in 2inches of snow and curbed both wheels on the driver side. I might as well have been on skis.
Just to update after nearly a month. I LOVE the new Cross Climate's on my GT. No regrets at all!

may I inquire if you have driven in any snow or slush and what your feeling was. I am currently on OEM now super slicks.

Yes, we got snow from the winter storm last week. Drove through it with zero issues. I was trying to break traction and it just wasn’t happening. I am totally shocked at the difference these tires made over the OEM Bridgestone tires. With the OEMs I would lose traction when stopping, starting from a stop, or turning in snow too quickly. These new tires stick like glue. It’s almost criminal to include the Bridgestones as an OEM tire for any vehicle sold in a region that gets snow.

I just did the Vancouver tour, didn't have much of à problem got stuck once, did have sliding, so I am on the prowl for new tires

Just put a set of these on my 2020 CX-9 with the 20's last week and they are 120% worth the investment. To be fair I was going from the stock super slicks which are worse than useless in the snow/light rain/or really anything other than ideal dry roads on sunny days.

These just handled a 6 hour road trip through Minnesota Snow like a champ. Are they Blizzaks? No, but they are pretty exceptional for an All-Season tire.

I had to order mine from Tire Rack as they seem to be sold out about everywhere else. But if you can find a set you won't regret it.

Last edited:
...they are pretty exceptional for an All-Season tire.
These tires are in the unofficial category of All-Weather tires. They are All-Seasons with the 3PMSF (3 peak mountain snowflake) certification as winter tires.

As promised - following up.

After a close accident where the CX9 was taking wwaaaayyyyy too long to stop - upgrading the tires became a priority last week. Went with the *CC2's, but also went a tad wider - 265/50/20 to fill that gap and produce an aggressive stance.

I'm 2 days in, and it is indeed an improvement.

> The ride is smoother - not Lexusesque, but a noticeable improvement from the Falkens that resulted in a quieter interior.

> Stopping seems to have improved A LOT. It's so much gripper that backing up into my garage's ramp requires less touches to the brakes.

> There is a drone sound, but it kind of seems like the only reason I can hear it is because the cabin is quieter. So ... yay? ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

The temperature is in the teens here, but no rain or snow yet (looking forward to it though).

My verdict so far is positive.

*I also strongly considered the Pirelli Scorpion WeatherActive, but given that they are new - there weren't many reviews out there. It was also hard to ignore the overwhelming positive reviews of the CC2 for the possibility that the Pirelli's were as good or better.

Update 2.

So … don’t get 265/50. Noticed that when turning the wheel all the way one direction, the space between the tire and the front wheel well wasn’t enough to fit my pinky finger. Making me worry about what damage I might run into hitting a pothole on a turn.

Luckily I picked up the tires from TR and was able to swap out to stock size. That said, at 255/50, the car still rides much much smoother than the Falkens

Lessons:
1) If you want to go wider, bring that second number down to 45.
2) TR customer service and commitment to customer satisfaction is amazing.

fyi.

Back