Questions about sound system on 2023 CX-5 with Preferred Trim

:
Upstate NY
:
'23 CX5
Car is on order, will get it the end of this month.

There is nothing specific I can find on their website, but I'm wondering exactly what kind of sound system will it have. It's a very minor issue to me, so just curious: AM-FM, USB input? I don't care about any subscription services.

What trim did you order? Touring, Grand Touring, Signature etc. Any of these three should come with the BOSE system. It will have AM, FM, FM-HD multiple USB ports, Spotify, Sirius/XM, etc.
I'm going off our 2019 so some things may of changed.

"Preferred" trim per thread title. It has climate control, moon roof, etc.

I read on another forum that Ford was doing away with AM in their new radios. Was curious about Mazda as all I ever listen to is AM, and would never pay a subscription service even if that was the only source for AM. TIA!

I read on another forum that Ford was doing away with AM in their new radios. Was curious about Mazda as all I ever listen to is AM, and would never pay a subscription service even if that was the only source for AM. TIA!
Didn't realize Mazda changed the trim designations so much. Preferred looks like it's near the base so you'll probably get what I outlined in the previous post. As far as AM going away I doubt it and I've seen nothing stating Mazda would do away with it. It's not like CD players where there's extra hardware involved.
Anyway whatever trim it is it will have AM radio.

Preferred is what used to be the Touring w/Preferred pkg. Due to parts shortages, it does not include the Bose system or power tailgate

Not sure if this is helpful, but I have a 2023 CX-5 Signature Turbo (Canadian term for top trim model), it does have AM, FM, USB, Sirius and Bluetooth inputs. Also, mine has Bose, and power tailgate.

I have a 2022 CX-5 Preferred -

AM
FM
USB1
USB2
Bluetooth
Infotainment installed apps (Pandora etc)
Phone apps

For a stock stereo, It's better than I expected. I have been happy with it.

I think if you wanted siriusXM, you could always stream the mobile app via bluetooth.

Hope this helps.

I have a 2022 CX-5 Preferred -

AM
FM
USB1
USB2
Bluetooth
Infotainment installed apps (Pandora etc)
Phone apps

For a stock stereo, It's better than I expected. I have been happy with it.

I think if you wanted siriusXM, you could always stream the mobile app via bluetooth.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. :cool:

Not interested in Sirius.

I got the car last week, haven't driven it much. But I did try using the USB drive for music that I had. The selection for USB A or B came up on the screen as a "Source" and it worked fine.

Then I see in the manual that the ports are ONLY FOR CHARGING. My USBs are located towards the front of the compartment, so the * Some Models is different than mine as they are shown towards the rear of the compartment. Not sure how this applies.

Am I going to damage something if I use the USBs for anything other than charging? There is nothing else about it in the manual.

USB 01.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USB 02.png

Did you hook your USB drive into the armrest console of the rear seats?

^^^
The OM excerpt above is showing the rear seats.

Are you serious? That simply can't be true. Literally every single top rated radio show in the nation is broadcast on AM. All of them.

I too listen to AM radio daily on the way into work.

I just read up on this. It's true, and it's absolute insanity. They are shooting themselves in the foot.

These are the top rated radio shows in America. And all of them, every last one, is broadcast on AM.
1667921597774.png

I got the car last week, haven't driven it much. But I did try using the USB drive for music that I had. The selection for USB A or B came up on the screen as a "Source" and it worked fine.

Then I see in the manual that the ports are ONLY FOR CHARGING. My USBs are located towards the front of the compartment, so the * Some Models is different than mine as they are shown towards the rear of the compartment. Not sure how this applies.

Am I going to damage something if I use the USBs for anything other than charging? There is nothing else about it in the manual.

The USB-s in the dash are power only. The USB's in the driver console are both charge and data. The ones in the back seat are charging only. The ones that are charging only *cant* be used for anything else. They are only going to deliver power.

Did you hook your USB drive into the armrest console of the rear seats?

^^^ The OM excerpt above is showing the rear seats.

No, I had it in the front seat armrest console. It worked okay, then I read the above warning in the manual but didn't realize they were talking about the back seat console. :(

FWIW: The USB stick that I bought new has 5-6 folders that I put on it, numerous songs in each folder, but only 3 folders show up for selection on the screen. I'm wondering if the new stick is flawed . . . ?

Compare the extensions of the songs you can see to those in the folder you cannot see. These can be .mp3, .wma, etc. Your device may not support your file types or the way you extracted the music from a CD-ROM.

Last edited:
I just read up on this. It's true, and it's absolute insanity. They are shooting themselves in the foot.

These are the top rated radio shows in America. And all of them, every last one, is broadcast on AM.
View attachment 314081

The younger generation does not listen to radio. Hell I'm 44 and I never touch radio any more and haven't for a really long time. If I can't stream it, I don't listen to it. They're just following the trend.

Back