2007~2015 CX-9 Code P0016

Hey guys, 2010 CX9, has code P0016, I know it’s for the camshaft position sensor, which I just changed out, how long after change should the check engine light go out if that was the only issue, instantly or after certain amount of time?, before I start looking at the VVT actuators?, which I really don’t want to have to do…

The PCM runs the internal checking constantly, so the code should have been reset fairly quick. BTW, that's a correlation code, so it doesn't necessarily mean the problem is with any sensor.

The PCM runs the internal checking constantly, so the code should have been reset fairly quick. BTW, that's a correlation code, so it doesn't necessarily mean the problem is with any sensor.
Thanks….Kinda like a can of worms i guess…. For a driveway guy anyway…

Thanks….Kinda like a can of worms i guess…. For a driveway guy anyway…
Actually, I've read more than a couple reports from owners who had shops also struggling with this type of code, and throwing lots of parts because they don't diagnose properly. The correct approach is to use a scope to evaluate the cam and crank sensor signal wave forms, to find out what irregularities show up. However, very few of us who DIY, owns one of these fairly expensive tools, so that type of diagnosis unfortunately is not happening for most of us.

Was there any change in performance since this code started showing up? How about the oil maintenance - were oil changes always done within the vehicle's specified mileage or time interval?

Actually, I've read more than a couple reports from owners who had shops also struggling with this type of code, and throwing lots of parts because they don't diagnose properly. The correct approach is to use a scope to evaluate the cam and crank sensor signal wave forms, to find out what irregularities show up. However, very few of us who DIY, owns one of these fairly expensive tools, so that type of diagnosis unfortunately is not happening for most of us.

Was there any change in performance since this code started showing up? How about the oil maintenance - were oil changes always done within the vehicle's specified mileage or time interval?
Last oil change should have been done earlier, nothing crazy though, for a while I have been having “hard” starts, kinda like a laboring battery, had that checked(it was new) that passed load test and resting/running voltage, thought it may have been the starter, voltage numbers on that came out fine, it was kind of a mystery and than the check engine light came on and the code popped up on my “FIXD” app. I changed the cam position sensor and disconnected the negative term for a few minutes, reconnected and for now, check engine is off, I’ll see if/when it comes back on and go from there… it seems to be running fine, labored start seems to be better.

As you said, it could be that the VVT actuator on that bank is going bad. Check the oil right away to make sure there's no water in it. That code is one of the signs that your oil could be contaminated from a failing water pump.

You can use a scan tool to look at the duty cycle on the VVT actuators and see if they are behaving similarly.

Back