Best way to clean fabric seats?

I have a 2012 Mazda 5 that I bought new. I have never had any mechanical problems with it at all. The only bad thing about the car is that the light-colored fabric seats stain so easily, even from just a drop of water getting on them. My front seats are badly stained all over, and my grandson spilled chocolate milk on one of the back seats. I want to find out the best way to clean them. I've tried Spot Shot carpet cleaner, and I've had a dealership try to clean them, but nothing has worked. Should I try to remove them for dry cleaning? What do you suggest?
Thanks!

You need to get a carpet extractor. They're surprisingly affordable, too.

Spray the solution into the seats, then use a drill with a brush to get it deep into the fabric. Finish up with the extractor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The best way?

The absolute best way is to remove the seats from the car. Disassemble them. Cut the hog rings and remove the upholstery. Then in a bath tub use hot water, washing machine detergent and a stiff plastic bristle brush. Scub, rinse and repeat until clean. Clean the seat foam if needed.

The next best? Like mentioned, get an extractor:

I use Simple Green...spray it all over the seat, spray hot water from the Bissell, scrub and lather and then extract with the Bissell. Keep spraying water, scrubbing and extracting until the water you are sucking up is clear. (Don't put detergent in the Bissell, it wears out the seals)

Modern seat materials are incredibly resistant to permanent staining. You do have to work at getting the spills out though.

Upvote 0
Try this:

Squirt some hydrogen peroxide on them. Let it sit. Get your wife's steam cleaner filled with Bissell(other other) rug shampoo. Use the foam brush to scrub the seat really hard while spraying and extracting the water. Keep pouring/ spraying with peroxide too. Repeat as necessary until clean.

Other :
Remove seats.
Remove covers.
Spray seat covers with spray and wash.
Soak in oxyclean water overnight.
Using a side load washer only.
Add oxyclean and detergent .
Run on gentle cycle.
DO NOT put in dryer.
Let air-dry on clothes-line or over a kitchen chair, etc.

Lastly, just skip all the above and buy some seat covers on Amazon.

Upvote 0
Sell/trade the Sport/Touring for a Grand Touring.

Or bring it in to a detail shop once in a while and let them do it. Commercial grade cleaners and equipment and working experience will do a better job. Scotchgard the heck out it as soon as you can.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've used carpet cleaners and spot cleaners on the fabric seats in my Honda pickup (our Mazda's seats are 'leatherette'). They work...kinda. Seat covers were FAR more effective. I also like the hydrogen peroxide suggestion. Maybe try that on an out-of-the-way place first, to make sure the fabric's color won't be removed by it (very unlikely these days, but possible), but generally it's very effective and quite cheap and available.

Upvote 0
I've had a lot of luck with either diluted white vinegar or dish soap in a spray bottle. Wet the area down evenly, scrub with a coarse brush, then soak up the liquid with some paper towels or something. Spray with clean water and soak up the water a few more times.

For a nice clean smell, sprinkle baking soda over the wet seat and rub gently to just spread it around evenly, and allow it to dry

Upvote 0
I use Bissell little green machine. It takes multiple passes if it is dirty.. Never use chlorine bleach, just the shampoos that they sell.
Also, Blue Coral carpet spray foam works well too.

Upvote 0
I use Bissell little green machine. It takes multiple passes if it is dirty.. Never use chlorine bleach, just the shampoos that they sell.
Also, Blue Coral carpet spray foam works well too.
I too have used Bissell machine shampoo after a hydrogen peroxide soak and scrub. Really works. Hydrogen peroxide doesn't stink that much compared to other cleaners and gets most of the stain out(including wine) then the bissell shampoo sucks the rest out and leaves behind the shampoo smell that's non offensive for females. Would never use vinegar...you have a chance your significant other/girlfriend, etc. will be upset if the vinegar smell is still there. Also make sure you suck most of the cleaner out of the seat and leave the window soon on sunny days to get the fabric dryed out. When driving crank the AC. If humid where you are, run a dehumidifier in the car for several hours to help dry out as well.

Another member Silentmember mentioned Scotch guard which is a great idea if one has the time/energy to do so. Otherwise seat-covers is the way to go. This time I opted for the leather seats and threw full coverage floor mats in so stains should be non-existent.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back