Off Topic As off-topic as it gets.. Moving week!

sm1ke

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature
Contributor
:
Canada
After work today, I'm heading over to my new (old) house to start moving in :)

Using this thread to document everything, just for fun. This seems like something that belongs on Reddit, but I don't really like posting on Reddit, and I'm sure you guys and gals are a better bunch (y)

So, thankfully we're not in any rush to move out of our current place. We'll be able to take our time with the move to keep stress levels low. Here's a pic of almost everything we have to move. We're about 90% packed, the rest is stuff that we use on a daily basis like clothes, toiletries, bedding and small appliances.

20220509_200631.jpg

20220509_200652.jpg

Today, the plan is to change the locks over to a new Schlage lockset, install a swing bar auxiliary lock and set up the new Eufy doorbell cam. I'll also install a few baby gates, then check out the basement for any signs of flooding.

Are you moving from Apartment to house? House to House?
Your approach is how I dealt with my last move. A bit at a time, was soooo much better and easier to manage.
Moving is also a great time to purge stuff...like old paint cans 😉

I faintly recall you looking for a new TV for the new house, as well?
Best of luck with it all.

Are you moving from Apartment to house? House to House?
Your approach is how I dealt with my last move. A bit at a time, was soooo much better and easier to manage.
Moving is also a great time to purge stuff...like old paint cans 😉

I faintly recall you looking for a new TV for the new house, as well?
Best of luck with it all.

We're moving from a rented house basement to a house. I've definitely been able to purge a lot of stuff, like extra clothing and kid's toys, which will be donated or given away.

Yes I created a thread a little while ago asking for help in making a decision. I'm just waiting to get back in the space to make sure the size I've decided on is the right size for the room.

Thanks!

No signs of flooding in the basement :) Just your typical mild efflorescence on the concrete.
Lockset was installed, but doorbell cam was put on hold because I found that the previous owners actually left a ton of their Ring accessories, like door and window sensors, motion sensors, keypad, etc. The only thing they took with them was their doorbell cam. Super nice to see that, but I wanted to do a little more research to see if I would be better off with a Ring doorbell cam instead.

Turns out that what the previous owners left behind was a Ring Alarm Kit. Now, since the Ring Doorbell cam is live-view only unless you pay the monthly subscription, I decided to stick with the Eufy cam. The plan is to use the Eufy Security app to review and manage video footage, and the Ring app to manage the alarm, which will be self-monitored.

Continuing on with a bit more progress on the move, I tried to setup the wifi but I think the modem is defective. I fitted new downspouts for better drainage away from the foundation. I also took a look at the two buildings they left behind - one is a metal storage shed underneath the patio deck and the other is a wooden outbuilding that would make for a great workstation/tool room. I also discovered a small garden with some leeks growing in it, and a bunny who was trying to get to them :LOL: I also tested all of the appliances to make sure everything was working properly, and then started prepping one of the bathrooms for paint.

20220520_221352.jpg

No signs of flooding in the basement :) Just your typical mild efflorescence on the concrete.
Lockset was installed, but doorbell cam was put on hold because I found that the previous owners actually left a ton of their Ring accessories, like door and window sensors, motion sensors, keypad, etc. The only thing they took with them was their doorbell cam. Super nice to see that, but I wanted to do a little more research to see if I would be better off with a Ring doorbell cam instead.

Turns out that what the previous owners left behind was a Ring Alarm Kit. Now, since the Ring Doorbell cam is live-view only unless you pay the monthly subscription, I decided to stick with the Eufy cam. The plan is to use the Eufy Security app to review and manage video footage, and the Ring app to manage the alarm, which will be self-monitored.

Continuing on with a bit more progress on the move, I tried to setup the wifi but I think the modem is defective. I fitted new downspouts for better drainage away from the foundation. I also took a look at the two buildings they left behind - one is a metal storage shed underneath the patio deck and the other is a wooden outbuilding that would make for a great workstation/tool room. I also discovered a small garden with some leeks growing in it, and a bunny who was trying to get to them :LOL: I also tested all of the appliances to make sure everything was working properly, and then started prepping one of the bathrooms for paint.

View attachment 310242
Nice spot!

Nice spot!

Thank you! :)

On Sunday, I had my ISP send a technician out to diagnose the router/wifi issues I was having. It turns out that the ISP's coax line that was previously run had stopped working for some reason. The tech installed a "patch line" above ground to get me connected, and put my home on the list of addresses that needed new lines run "properly", but advised me that this could take years (he actually has had patch lines at his own place installed for two years now). Anyway, wifi is now up and running (y)

The tech set the router up by the electrical panel in the basement, so I ran some coax to a more central location to make sure I didn't have any signal issues in the upper levels of the house. The white box is the homebase for the doorbell cam. I plan to put that somewhere else, I just needed a hardwire connection to the router in order to configure it for wifi.

20220523_210335.jpg

Yesterday (Monday) I set up the doorbell camera and tested it, everything works great!

Screenshot_20220523-210648_EufySecurity.jpg

Screenshot_20220523-225827_EufySecurity.jpg

I also replaced some curtains and moved a few more things into the house. I tried to set up the Ring Alarm but it turns out that the Base Station wasn't deregistered by the previous owner, so I have to wait for them to come by to do that so I can use it myself.

This week, the plan will mostly be to move any boxes and stuff that will fit into the CX-9 over to the new house. I'll also need to pick up the TV and decide on what to do for living room seating (couches or sectional). Then at the end of the week, I'll be renting a truck from UHaul to bring over the bigger items like mattresses, bedframes, gym equipment, dining table, etc.

Here's yesterday's haul to the new place. I brought over some of my rubber flooring, a couple of curl bars, a few plates, and a few kettlebells. A few friends of mine were talking the other day over a few drinks, and they want to start exercising more, so we're going to start working out regularly once I have some more gear set up.

I also brought over some pots and pans, some glassware, a storage bench, a diaper genie and a rocking horse (in case the kids come to the house).

20220524_192208.jpg

20220524_192221.jpg

20220524_202208.jpg

The security cams also came in yesterday, so I'll be installing those in the next couple of days.

20220524_204413.jpg

Set up some furniture under the patio deck on Wednesday.

Screenshot_20220527-100524_Gallery.jpg

And yesterday I picked up a Google Nest Hub from Costco.

20220526_190739.jpg

Oh and the LG C1 as well 🤣 I'm hoping that it isn't too big for the space with the stand we're going to use for it. I guess we'll see in the next week or two.

Congrats! That looks like a cool spot. No big bad wolf is gonna blow that house down. (y)

I'm stoked on everything but the google nest.

Congrats! That looks like a cool spot. No big bad wolf is gonna blow that house down. (y)

I'm stoked on everything but the google nest.

Thanks! Lol, what would you have opted for instead of the Google Nest Hub? And why?

Nothing except a tin foil hat. 🤣
I dunno, I guess I'm old school and don't trust Siri or Alexa to not listen to every word I say.

Again, congrats on the new spot. It looks nice and clean. So much better than any basement.

Nothing except a tin foil hat. 🤣
I dunno, I guess I'm old school and don't trust Siri or Alexa to not listen to every word I say.

Again, congrats on the new spot. It looks nice and clean. So much better than any basement.

Fair enough! Thanks Natey. It sure is clean, and the basement ceiling is tall enough for my power rack at 90", which is a nice surprise!

Nothing wrong with the basement we're renting now, it's actually quite spacious for a basement, but we are really happy to have our own space :)

That's because it does. We've had weird experiences with our Google thing, its unplugged now, and my Mom at her house has Alexa devices all over and same thing.

That said, we do have fun getting the Google device to repeat back dirty words/phrases we trick it into saying via the shopping list feature. :ROFLMAO:

Gotta say, even though this thread is labeled as “Off Topic”…It’s doing a fantastic job showcasing what you can do and haul with a 2nd gen CX-9…Love it! 👍

Gotta say, even though this thread is labeled as “Off Topic”…It’s doing a fantastic job showcasing what you can do and haul with a 2nd gen CX-9…Love it! 👍

Absolutely! BUT.. the sloping roofline has proven to be a real problem with some items. Most recently I picked up a fully assembled rocking patio bench (seats 2). The lady had it in her Gen2 Ford Escape. There was so much room in there with the 2nd row folded down! I would have been able to fit it in the CX-9 no problem if I didn't have carseats in the 2nd row, but I do, so I had to do some massaging to get the bench to fit, and it was a VERY tight squeeze, but I got it done.

Yesterday I had a similar issue picking up a work bench that I plan to use as an adjustable dumbbell stand. The legs of the stand splay out a little, and because of that, the legs would have hit the rear glass if I tried to close the liftgate. I ended up having to take two of the legs off before I could safely close the door. But with the legs off, I was able to fit a folded up electric lawn mower in the trunk as well, with no issue.

My lawns are looking really overgrown after a couple of weeks of neglect, so I'm glad I finally have a mower to use. It's an older Black + Decker MM575 with a recently sharpened blade. I'll be mowing the lawn today after work.

I also finished painting today. I did the feature wall of the kid's bedroom and the upstairs bathroom. The kid's bedroom turned out great.. the bathroom, not so much. Really unhappy with the edges, but I only have myself to blame as I did all the taping. I believe I used the wrong painter's tape because it kept tearing as I was removing it. I also made the mistake of spreading the job out over a couple of days.. I think it would have turned out much better if I had just done the primer, base coat and final coat all in one day. Oh well.. chalk it up under lessons learned.

My lawns are looking really overgrown after a couple of weeks of neglect, so I'm glad I finally have a mower to use. It's an older Black + Decker MM575 with a recently sharpened blade. I'll be mowing the lawn today after work.

I also finished painting today. I did the feature wall of the kid's bedroom and the upstairs bathroom. The kid's bedroom turned out great.. the bathroom, not so much. Really unhappy with the edges, but I only have myself to blame as I did all the taping. I believe I used the wrong painter's tape because it kept tearing as I was removing it. I also made the mistake of spreading the job out over a couple of days.. I think it would have turned out much better if I had just done the primer, base coat and final coat all in one day. Oh well.. chalk it up under lessons learned.
I grew up in an area/environment where lawns were not a thing. I'll have to learn a lot when I finally buy a house.

I will say this, I don't know if anyone else is like this or just me, I know many love the smell of fresh cut grass, but for me it is one of the most nauseating smells ever for some reason. Anytime they are cutting the grass in the park next to us, or the condo grounds, I have to close the windows. No idea how I'd get on mowing an actual lawn myself. :unsure:

Catching up here. Sorry I missed this so far. :D
Are home inspections not a thing in Canada? It's pretty SOP here in the States. It would have told you if there was water problems in the basement or if the appliances were bad.
What is a "Swing bar aux lock"? Did you get the pin code type locks for your door? Easily the best upgrade I've done to my house.
The table UNDER the deck is... odd. ;) What's the top look like?
I have a Eufy Doorbell. I researched the hell out of them. Nothing better. No subscription, everything stored locally. It's great. And my 16GB cards holds month and months of video. Mine goes back to Mar 5th... the day I installed it.

Last edited:
Back