2019 CX-5 nearing end of BtoB warranty: What to do before it ends? Tips?

Our 2019 CX-5 Grand Touring, (no turbo), is sitting at 22,000 miles. Factory 3 year bumper to bumper warranty will expire at 3 year mark, next month, June 25. I'm having dealer do LOF before that. What have all of you done to, "get in," before warranty expiration????
1. We've never updated navigation maps. Dealer says we do that ourselves. ??? Do map update options expire?
2. Only 2 issues we've had with car is a slightly chilly draft on feet even with heater set at comfort levels. Took to dealer 3 times. They say it's fine.
3. Once, actually the morning after dealer did LOF and washed car, the side mirrors would only fold a third of the way in. Forum here pointed out 2 service bulletins on that. Two days later they began working. Dealer merely said service bulletins don't mean they automatically upgrade; Wouldn't do anything unless they catch it in fail mode.
Any tips before our expiration would be appreciated.

1. We've never updated navigation maps. Dealer says we do that ourselves. ??? Do map update options expire?
You get 3 years of map updates from in service date. Usually they update them once or twice a year. Easy enough to do it yourself with the Mazda Toolbox app.

I'm in the same situation. I have a couple months left on my BtoB warranty on my 2019 GTR (turbo). I haven't had any issues other than a wiggly rear view mirror which they replaced because they couldn't tighten it. I have very low miles on mine, 9500.

Maybe pull the plastic engine cover off and see if you have oil seepage around the Oil Control Valve. Seems to be a common issue.

1653146655604.png

Your dealer should do the map update if you use them for service. Mine did the first update with no qualms. From that point one I downloaded the app and did it myself. Pretty easy unless your PC doesn't have a SD port. In that case I'm not sure if you can do it from a phone. I'm sure somebody on this forum would know if you can use a smartphone.

Our 2019 GTR is coming up on end of warranty in Aug. No problems as of today. 30k on the odo.

Thank you all. This really helps....already. SO.....after 3 years, what happens with map/Nav. updates???? We buy them? Oh....Nav will still work won't it???!!

My thought, though I'm sure I'll get push back. Got to the dealer and pay for an inspection, not exactly a PPI, but here's what you'll get.

To start, you'll be charged about $250. What I like about this is that they're not just inspecting your car, they are actually looking for things to fix/tighten/adjust/replace. Wny? Because they will actively look for things that are covered under warranty. Won't cost you anyting, but they get to charge the manufacturer for warranty work. Nice to get that small broken bracket replaced that you never would have known about.

I'd say that I'm in the minority, but I'll let a let any service advisors here chime in.

Another question, planning ahead: I checked with our dealer's service writer yesterday about setting up a LOF service before 3-year time out. Asked him if there were any, "surprise," required services coming up. He said nothing until 30,000 miles where we need to have both differentials, "serviced," and a brake fluid flush. $750. I've done a lot of my own work in the past, but too old now to want to, especially with this, "new," car. But dif service is usually just drain and refill. Brake fluid flush is usually a low pressure power force-fluid-through, "flush." Takes a little time, but not difficult. I do NOT see that worth $750. I need to know if I take it to certified local mechanic it it will work with Mazda's longer power train warranty. Anyone know?

I need to know if I take it to certified local mechanic it it will work with Mazda's longer power train warranty. Anyone know?
If I understand your question correctly, yes. You can even do all maint. yourself and your warranty is intact. Keep all receipts and a log book, that's all that most manufacturers require

Another question, planning ahead: I checked with our dealer's service writer yesterday about setting up a LOF service before 3-year time out. Asked him if there were any, "surprise," required services coming up. He said nothing until 30,000 miles where we need to have both differentials, "serviced," and a brake fluid flush. $750. I've done a lot of my own work in the past, but too old now to want to, especially with this, "new," car. But dif service is usually just drain and refill. Brake fluid flush is usually a low pressure power force-fluid-through, "flush." Takes a little time, but not difficult. I do NOT see that worth $750. I need to know if I take it to certified local mechanic it it will work with Mazda's longer power train warranty. Anyone know?
There is no required 'diff service.' The only reason to change the fluid this early is if the diffs have been submerged. Brake fluid at 3 years is a good idea

I’d recommend checking out the maintenance guide for your specific vehicle that is on Mazda’s website. I don’t believe any of those items are required.

There is no required 'diff service.' The only reason to change the fluid this early is if the diffs have been submerged. Brake fluid at 3 years is a good idea
Yep, I couldn’t find anything about changing rear diff or front transfer case fluid unless it was submerged, this seemed odd to me as my Honda Pilot requires rear diff changed at 15k for the first and 30k thereafter. ask the dealer to show you where it says this service is needed.

Yep, I couldn’t find anything about changing rear diff or front transfer case fluid unless it was submerged, this seemed odd to me as my Honda Pilot requires rear diff changed at 15k for the first and 30k thereafter. ask the dealer to show you where it says this service is needed.
Yep. Honda's seem to need the fluids changed a lot more often than Mazda's. I remember my wife's CRV had the change diff fluid 'maint minder' come on at 14k then again at 30k. Honda wants tranny fluid changed every 30k.

I was having the same issue before my warranty expired, I wanted to take advantage of free fixes, but I couldn't find anything to fix.

.... I need to know if I take it to certified local mechanic it it will work with Mazda's longer power train warranty. Anyone know?
You definitely can have all maintenance and repairs done at an indy shop, without putting the powertrain warranty at risk. And I'm sure you would still want to continue to do the simplest things, such as air filters, yourself. Just keep all receipts, especially the paperwork from EVERY oil change (including everything already done in the past).

And having been a DIYer, you have a big advantage in finding a good honest shop, because you'll probably be able to sniff out anyone who's dealing from the bottom of the deck.

100% this.

About the brake fluid, a $10 tester will tell you if it's good or not.

To OP.,
You should probably document (video) the failure of your side mirrors (power folding). When if it gets out of B2B and it fails again, you can go back and argument with Mazda that they started to fail occasionally before warranty expiration.

In addition, you can clean up the track of side mirror folding with air blaster, etc.
Dirts or debris might be in the way causing it to stop folding. Giving it some manual gentle push while it is in action might help clear the dirts/debris.

Avoid water (water jet while car washing) into the mirrors. And keep the track clean.
The mirrors are expensive to replace out of B2B warranty.

ceric, thanks. When my side mirrors decided to only operate a third of required travel, it was the morning after dealer did LOF and WASHED our car. Coincidence? Ha. I intended to, "film," the failure but by the time I got to it in the afternoon, they'd began working again. I called and talked to the dealer and later bugged them again in person at next LOF but of course they play the, "can't do anything unless we see it failing," card. So I think I'm sunk on this unless it fails again. And since it did it once, I'm confident it will again........."later."

Your dealer's just being lazy. The TSB identifies that one of the potential reasons for failure is a mirror housing that isn't sealed as well as it could be (behind the mirror glass). Easy enough for them to pop the mirror glass off and tape up the open areas (at the minimum).

Keep a log of your visits to the dealership, as well as what they recommended to you. If you left your vehicle with them, they will likely have provided you with an invoice detailing your complaints and what they did to address them. As long as you have these records to show that you did try to address them while under warranty, you'll have a leg to stand on if you ever need to escalate to Mazda Corporate to get something fixed.

Thank you all. This really helps....already. SO.....after 3 years, what happens with map/Nav. updates???? We buy them? Oh....Nav will still work won't it???!!
You no longer get updates after 3 years FOR FREE. You can pay for them afterwards.
For $8 you can buy a card reader

if your computer doesn't have one and do it yourself here:

Back