What have you done to your CX-5 today?

If you take it back and they still deny the noise...then you'll need to make a choice. Keep trying until the 12 month bumper to bumper is expired at which point they'll want you to pay. Or take it to a local mech now and pay him to diagnose only/not fix what's wrong with it then take it back to dealer and make them fix it.

I don't think it works like that.. if you open a claim while you're within warranty, and the claim/ticket is still open when your warranty expires, they don't just drop your claim. I could be wrong, but I really hope I'm not because that's really f'd up if dealers/manufacturers are allowed to do that.

Diagnosing elsewhere seems like a good idea, but it depends on the dealership too. Some may be adamant about diagnosing the problem themselves because it puts money in their pockets. Some may also require that diagnosis be done by the dealership for a warranty issue because they don't want to be on the hook if the part/repair doesn't fix the problem.

That makes a lot of sense. I can get it diagnosed elsewhere and get the dealership to fix it. Thanks!
As for the rattle, I wouldn't bother paying for an independent diagnosis. It's understandable they would take the path of least resistance given how many times they must deal with rattle complaints that turn out to be "user error".

I'd first have somebody drive the car while you sit in the backseat so that you personally pinpoint the location. Tape a piece of paper there. Find a spot near the dealer where you can recreate it if a bump in the road is required. Make an appointment while professionally and politely insisting that since this is the second time around (with no tech test driving it on the first) you would like to take a tech for a drive to gain agreement that there is a problem.

On the few occasions I've needed to make that second try with a dealer I have not been refused that request. Judging from the tone of some posts I'd say some difficulties may arise if you come at it like an a-hole with a chip on his shoulder. In 40 years of car ownership while regularly (but not always) having dealer service I've only had issues with one of them. You know going in they charge more than independent shops and may try to sell you stuff you don't need. I've never had a polite "no" result in anything but a "no" beyond their second try.

As for independent shops, finding a good, reasonably priced one is the trick. My most recent attempt with a shop with good local reviews was a mess. The old man behind the desk had no record of my 9:00 AM alignment appointment. He seemed to be early stage dementia. He was swimming in piles of paper and boxes of stuff. The service bays were a cluttered mess. The young guy doing the work (son?) said he already had a car on the rack. Come back this afternoon. When? This afternoon. Off to Mavis Tire.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the rattle, I wouldn't bother paying for an independent diagnosis. It's understandable they would take the path of least resistance given how many times they must deal with rattle complaints that turn out to be "user error".

I'd first have somebody drive the car while you sit in the backseat so that you personally pinpoint the location. Tape a piece of paper there. Find a spot near the dealer where you can recreate it if a bump in the road is required to recreate it. Make an appointment while professionally and politely insisting that since this is the second time around (with no tech test driving it on the first) you would like to take a tech for a drive to gain agreement that there is a problem.

On the few occasions I've needed to make that second try with a dealer I have not been refused that request. Judging from the tone of some posts I'd say some difficulties may arise if you come at it like an a-hole with a chip on his shoulder. In 40 years of car ownership while regularly (but not always) having dealer service I've only had issues with one of them. You know going in they charge more than independent shops and may try to sell you stuff you don't need but that's known going in. I've never had a polite "no" result in anything but a "no" beyond their second try.

As for independent shops, finding a good, reasonably priced one is the trick. My most recent attempt with a shop with good local reviews was a mess. The old man behind the desk had no record of my 9:00 AM alignment appointment. He seemed to be early stage dementia. He was swimming in piles of paper and boxes of stuff. The service bays were a cluttered mess. The young guy doing the work said he already had a car on the rack. Come back this afternoon. When? This afternoon. Off to Mavis Tire.
I agree with this too, next time I go (will probably be next week or so) I am going to do this.
About my tone, I have been nothing but polite to everyone at the dealership. I sent a polite but firm e-mail to their general manager, hopefully that will help.

I don't think it works like that.. if you open a claim while you're within warranty, and the claim/ticket is still open when your warranty expires, they don't just drop your claim. I could be wrong, but I really hope I'm not because that's really f'd up if dealers/manufacturers are allowed to do that.

Diagnosing elsewhere seems like a good idea, but it depends on the dealership too. Some may be adamant about diagnosing the problem themselves because it puts money in their pockets. Some may also require that diagnosis be done by the dealership for a warranty issue because they don't want to be on the hook if the part/repair doesn't fix the problem.
Any dealer (or reputable independent) provides a 12 months / 12,000 mile guarantee for out-of-warranty work. It would stand to reason that a repair done 1,000 miles prior to manufacturer warranty expiration that failed after the warranty expired and within 11,000 miles would be handled under a manufacturer warranty claim.

Now, circumstances may differ. If it was a failure of a replaced part I would expect such consideration, escalating to corporate if necessary. It gets trickier if a problem is reported, say an oil leak, work is done under warranty, and then it is discovered the leak originated elsewhere after the warranty expired. Did they miss it the first time? Or is it a new, different leak? The waters then become muddied, and even more muddy the longer the time between the two services.

As for your second point, you don't need my many years of experience in troubleshooting application software, often times arbitrating disagreements over whether a purported "flaw" is by design or in fact a programming error, to know the first step is recreating the problem. No dealer tech worth his salt is going to take the word of some outside party though that opinion might give him an idea of where to look first if plausible. He must recreate it for himself. For the case at hand, a squeak, that independent opinion isn't going to add anything if the owner pinpoints it himself and gets the tech to recreated it.

When by wife reports problems around the house (electronics as much as anything) I sometimes must report that I cannot recreate it. Long ago I realized that the next statement, "you must have done something wrong" is ill-advised. ;) Now, it's "show me what you did exactly" which is taken somewhat more kindly. Sometimes some previously unidentified piece of information then comes to light and the problem is recreated.

I agree with this too, next time I go (will probably be next week or so) I am going to do this.
About my tone, I have been nothing but polite to everyone at the dealership. I sent a polite but firm e-mail to their general manager, hopefully that will help.
I've never had to involve a GM. A service manager is closer to the problem and should be the quickest next step. Service department schedulers who pick up the phone are typically dictation clerks. Explaining the problem and asking to speak with a service manager is the way go. In general, going over somebody's head without giving them one chance to fix their problem, especially given your minor complicity in this case, runs the risk of painting yourself as a jerk and rustling the feathers of the people who do the work. That said, it's water under the bridge and it won't matter anyway if they get the problem fixed.

In general, going over somebody's head without giving them one chance to fix their problem, especially given your minor complicity in this case, runs the risk of painting yourself as a jerk and rustling the feathers of the people who do the work.
Good general life information.

Added the carbon fiber pieces (cupholders, airbag/seatbelt display, and on the circle selector knob) Makes the interior more cohesive imo :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Downsized my 19”
Enkei RPF1 F1 Silver 18x7.5 +48 mm (16.9 lbs)
Nitto Nomad Grapplers 235/60r18 (32.72 lbs)

No rubbing at full lock 😎 the only issue is at this offset my axle studs are protruding - need to find a custom wheel center cap

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• E8BDA7A5-4898-424E-B5DC-95EA733EB1A3.jpeg
    E8BDA7A5-4898-424E-B5DC-95EA733EB1A3.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 147
  • 881D6D70-D2DB-4E86-A6B4-703CD42BD7C0.jpeg
    881D6D70-D2DB-4E86-A6B4-703CD42BD7C0.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 138
  • 1C315E22-C31C-448F-A9EB-039DD2EBC352.jpeg
    1C315E22-C31C-448F-A9EB-039DD2EBC352.jpeg
    163.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 8B8C6BFA-B7DD-4DF2-87CB-8B53EF1800AF.jpeg
    8B8C6BFA-B7DD-4DF2-87CB-8B53EF1800AF.jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
I like some contrast, plus the silver (its more of a matte “silver”) complements the chrome hockey stick trim lol
This has been same issue with my machine gray. The 17" BBS silver rims looks nice but sticks out a little too much. Black wheels just fade into the car and become one giant mesh. Am going with a super dark gray,/charcoal or bronze powder-coat.

Last edited:
This has been same issue with my machine gray. The 17" BBS silver rims looks nice but sticks out a little too much. Black wheels just fade into the car and become one giant mesh. Am going with a super dark gray,/charcoal or bronze powder-coat.
Yeah if there was gunmetal id had gone with that. Enkei RPF1 right now also has a SBC color thats shiny gun metal - too blingy for me and way more of a cost premium

Checked voltage and water level on CX-5 car battery.

12.6 volts. Water level is a bit over the plates. Good condition.

Ended up being a month late seeing as we got no snow at all in April, but got my all-seasons put back on. Historicaly my rule has been "after Mother's Day", but that didn't hold true this year.

Anyway, Somehow Discount Tire managed to break off a stud on the front passenger side wheel hub when putting on the lug nuts, so gotta get that fixed on Tuesday. They gave me a voucher to go get it replaced, but the shop the voucher for was booked up solid till after Wednesday, and Thursday was out for me. Wanted to fix it sooner than that. Found another branch of that shop that would do it Tuesday morning and take the voucher. Little farther away, but would rather get it fixed sooner than later.

I finally managed to get the scratched leather fixed on my CX-5. Also went for a road test with a technician about the noise I hear coming from the B-pillar, but unsurprisingly the car didn't make any noise :) We'll see if it ever comes back or if it was just because of the cold.
I was treated much better this time, and I didn't deal with that advisor who wasn't super nice to me. Just as I walked into the dealership, someone else wanted to talk to an advisor but specifically mentioned he didn't want to speak to that advisor.
I was also given a loaner, a 2017 CX-5 that has definitely seen better days. It's probably a loaner/workhorse combo, but it got the job done and I have no complaints.
They didn't charge me for the repair. I would have gladly paid as they did a fantastic job, but I appreciate their gesture.

Attachments

• IMG_3879.jpg
    IMG_3879.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 87
Ended up being a month late seeing as we got no snow at all in April, but got my all-seasons put back on. Historicaly my rule has been "after Mother's Day", but that didn't hold true this year.

Anyway, Somehow Discount Tire managed to break off a stud on the front passenger side wheel hub when putting on the lug nuts, so gotta get that fixed on Tuesday. They gave me a voucher to go get it replaced, but the shop the voucher for was booked up solid till after Wednesday, and Thursday was out for me. Wanted to fix it sooner than that. Found another branch of that shop that would do it Tuesday morning and take the voucher. Little farther away, but would rather get it fixed sooner than later.
To follow-up with this, shop replaced the wheel hub which somehow took 2 hours, but that's ok, I think I overheard them saying they were short staffed. But then they didn't have a new lug nut to put on it! So went back to Discount, they didn't either. So went to the auto parts store next door, bought some lug nuts, Discount bought them off me and I got one of them and put it on.

Took like 3 hours to get this all resolved. Oh well.

Back